The "How to dress on the QM2 thread" :D

cchic

Hi! I am new to Cunard Line and I am really excited about sailing on the QM2 this summer! icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering about the dress code..particularly the dining room dress code (during dinner). I'm under the impression that Cunard tends to be VERY dressy (I've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Costa, and Celebrity which was the dressiest) I've been able to get away with wearing denim skirts in all the dining rooms on casual nights, even on Celebrity..I'm assuming this isn't acceptable on Cunard?? icon_confused.gif

What about informal nights?? I've been wearing the same two dresses on both formal nights on all my cruises and I would like to buy a new dress for the QM2..one of the dresses I have now is black and it could probably pass as an informal cocktail dress, so that will allow me to wear my new dress on the second formal (I have this need to wear everything I own so I won't feel like I've wasted clothes icon_wink.gif..Does Cunard tend to be pretty dressy on informal nights?

I will be sailing to Northern Europe on July 11, most of the ports of call will be in Norway, so the temperature might be pretty cool. How many people wear jeans on sea days and on tours? Do people wear jeans at all??

Sorry for asking so many questions, this topic has probably been talked about so many times but I'm new to Cunard and I just want to do the right thing..

Thanks!!

I haven't seen too many passengers wearing jeans - even on Transatlantic crosssings when the weather is cooler. Chinos or capris would probably be your best bet for daytime wear while on board or on excursions.

I was surprised by the different takes on formal dresses by women. I go the whole nine yards and really do the formal thing. Being young can create some problems finding formal wear that doesn't make you look like a matron or a prom queen. For my first cruise, I was able to find a taffeta skirt with full (crinolines and all) skirt and pair it with a sleeveless black top.

For informal nights I got away with wearing something like wool trousers and a sequined top or just below the knee length black sleeveless dress, suits in silk.

Hope this helps.

This question is really for my wife. Are you saying, that if you want to go the pub for lunch and have a burger and a beer, you can't do it wearing a pair of jeans (the beer and burger are for me, the jeans are for my wife)?

Jeans and chinos are acceptable during the day anywhere. This is classified along with resort wear as casual.

Your black dress will probably be best for informal nights.

Formal evening wear is really required for formal nights as people tend to carry on the old traditions of first class transatlantic travel with long sparkly dressed. Personally, I hate to get dressed up, but Cunard is an exception and I found on QE2 that having a ship full of elegantly attired people really added to the experience. I had no formal wear but found two real steals on the 60% off ($72) and 80% racks ($28) at a local upscale department store. I found gold dressy sandals that didn't take up much room in my suitcase.

Also, remember that dinner dress codes apply all evening. I cheated a couple of evenings after I put my elderly mother to bed and dressed warmly to slip out the back way to a quiet place on deck late at night to watch the moon shine on the ocean.

Although it sounds as if QM2 is a little less formal, do go for the whole formal thing and enjoy it.

Just got off the Transatlantic crossing on Friday. I went crazy packing thinking I had to be dressed to the nines at all times. Yes it is nice to wear chinos or nice capris during the day but ther were people in jeans. There were also alot of people walking around in workout outfits throughout the day. Personally though, I don't like jeans when I go on vacation and like to look alittle nicer. No matter what cruise line, you will always find people who do not want to dress up.

That's right katyhotr, there are a lot of us that don't want to dress up. You are not the fashion police. Get over yourself

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

Archived