I-95 or Fla TPK???

PizzaPilot

We will be traveling to Miami in June for our cruise, coming down I-95. What has been others experiences? Should we stay on 95 all the way or pick up the Florida Turnpike south of Daytona? We're planning to be travelling thru southern FL on a Friday afternoon...

We will be traveling to Miami in June for our cruise, coming down I-95. What has been others experiences? Should we stay on 95 all the way or pick up the Florida Turnpike south of Daytona? We're planning to be travelling thru southern FL on a Friday afternoon...
You could pick up the Fl. Turnpike around Fort Pierce. it is only a couple of miles west and take it down to Miami. It would save you a lot of traffic congestion. Friday afternoon is going to be a bear from about West Palm south on I-95......

I agree, take 95. When you get to Ft Pierce you'll be able to see the turnpike running right beside it. I'm leaving from Cocoa Beach and plan to take 95 unless there is a lot of traffic. On the way home to Orlando I'm taking 95 to Ft Pierce and then the turnpike.

I live near Daytona Beach and am familiar w/ this route. Drive south on 1-95 to FORT PIERCE. Get off at the Fort Pierce exit and take the turnpike SOUTH. Less exits and better time. Not many more miles, although it looks it on the map. Once you have driven 1-95 in S. FL you will want to take the turnpike.

Directions from Miami to go NORTH. -- After you leave Miami watch CLOSELY for the turnpike signs, there is only one! Again, take the turnpike north until you get to FORT PIERCE. Watch for the -1-95 North sign as the turnpike goes west (left) at this point towards Orlando. Pick up 1-95 N at this point, again at Fort Pierce. Look at the atlas, it will become clear.

The Fort Pierce exit is a huge exchange w/ restaurants, gas, bathroom stop.

We used the Florida Turnpike when we went to Miami in November. And cursed ourselves the whole time. There was actually more traffic on it then I-95 and then there was 3 wrecks (but that could happen anywhere, just on the turnpike more people collided with the concrete barriers). The huge rest area in the middle was kind of cool but it was expensive and packed with people! Then there is the extra money in tolls you pay to be able to drive it and it slows you down cause you have to stop and hand them your money every few miles. From now on we will just use I-95.

You could pick up the Fl. Turnpike around Fort Pierce. it is only a couple of miles west and take it down to Miami. It would save you a lot of traffic congestion. Friday afternoon is going to be a bear from about West Palm south on I-95......

I live in Vero just north of the turn pike - A lot of people don't understand that the turnpike from Ft Pierce to around the north palm beach area cuts more east and thus cutting off about 15-20 mins (at least) of your time.

around that area 95 goes way west -

I would go Turnpike - that is the only way we go when going to lauderdale or Miami -

The exit you will be looking for is Okeechobee road in Ft PIERCE (not west palm) you get off the exit and go west for maybe a mile or less and jump on the TP

Turnpike but watch out what time you get to the FLL area..you will be swamped with traffic on a Friday afternoon. try to plan your arrival into that area after 6:30.

My DH drives from Tampa to Miami 3x a month and this was his suggestion.

I live in Vero just north of the turn pike - A lot of people don't understand that the turnpike from Ft Pierce to around the north palm beach area cuts more east and thus cutting off about 15-20 mins (at least) of your time.

around that area 95 goes way west -

I would go Turnpike - that is the only way we go when going to lauderdale or Miami -

The exit you will be looking for is Okeechobee road in Ft PIERCE (not west palm) you get off the exit and go west for maybe a mile or less and jump on the TP

I live just North of Vero and we went down 2 weeks ago.

This posting by flvol is dead on!

Keep in mind that the TPK has rest stops with places to eat and clean restrooms while 95,has some stops right off of it, it forces you to get off at an exit when you get further south on it.

STeve

I definately plan on taking the turnpike when we go down from Melbourne FL in June, I know from experience it is a much more pleasant drive. One ? though, where do you get off the turnpike to get to the port in Miami? Thanks.

Take I-95 south to exit 129, and head west off the exit, this will be a right hand merge. In less than 1 mile, you can pick up the turnpike south, it will be a left into the turnpike area, and follow the signs for south. In my experience the turnpike is much quicker esp. around palm b^tch... Also, when you're down here, dial 511 from your cell for free traffic updates, its an automated system.

I live in West Palm Beach and highly advise anyone to avoid both the Turnpike and 95 on Fridays between 4-6:30p.m. when in Palm Beach, Broward or Dade Counties. If you have to come during those times, get on the Turnpike in Fort Pierce.

Wow, just when I thought I wouldn't have to figure out another issue on this vacation(soda card/no soda card...trust Jamaica/don't trust Jamaica...etc, etc)now this comes up!!!

According to Mapquest the difference between TPK I-95 is that TPK is 4 min less in time and 6.03 in mileage.

And each route seems to have its supporters and detractors...what to do, what to do?

This post is written "slightly" tongue-in-cheek.:confused:

another Palm Beach resident here and my advice is to avoid I-95 at all costs! it is one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the COUNTRY!:eek:

the turnpike is a nice drive as long as there are no accidents. wave when you pass southern blvd to me!

i *think* but i'm not sure, but as far as where to get off for the port (of miami) is after the turnpike and I-95 merge back together. Anyone else know for sure?

Thanks for all the great advice. Still 80 days til the cruise, but I'm ready to go now! :D DW won't let me get the suitcases out and start packing yet, but she can't stop me from mapping out the route to get us there!!

i *think* but i'm not sure, but as far as where to get off for the port (of miami) is after the turnpike and I-95 merge back together. Anyone else know for sure?

They do merge back together. You then want left hand exit for rt395 (13b I think)miami beach/biscayne blvd.

Steve

I live in Ohio, but my mom is in West Palm and my dad lives in Ft. Pierce so when I visit I travel back and forth and I always take the turnpike. Our last cruise was out of Miami in Jan. and we took the turnpike down from West Palm, it was a Saturday morning and traffic wasn't bad at all. Rush hour is crazy though, and even the turnpike can back up around PGA Blvd, but it is better than 95. Once your on the ship you won't have to worry about driving! Isn't cruising great!

I dont like I95, people down here tend to drive like crazy. The turnpike should cost you about $6.00 from f. pierce and you should avoid a lot of traffic.

We are driving and coming from Tallahassee, my directions tell me to get on the TPK around Altamonte Springs... was curious if you could give me an idea of how much to expect to pay in TOLL from there to FLL ? Since it's $6 from Ft Pierce, Im thinking its probably going to be a bit more than I was planning for, want to be prepared with small bills.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

I live in Ft Lauderdale and FULLY AGREE with the above!

In Ft Pierce I-95 and the turnpike are only a mile or two from each other, with a bunch of gas stations and restaurants in between them, so this is a regular pit stop when we're making the transition from one road to the other.

When the turnpike ends south at the Golden Glades interchange in North Miami (don't take the Homestead extension- head towards Miami) you will be fed back onto I-95.

Another thing is that from what I can tell FHP aren't as bad on the TPK - I don't know if its because you are paying a toll or what - I am not saying you can do 90-100 mph, because last year we were doing 80 and a BMW and a Vette flew by us well over 100 mph and about 10 mins later there was 5 FHP officers all over them.

Archived