How choppy is water at Grand Turk?/Snorkling

Sourismom

I've snorkled one time before, off of Key West. I got very seasick in the water (I was fine on the boat). I think it was because the water was really choppy that day and I was having a hard time with the current, so I swallowed sea water. I'd like to give it another try, to see if it was bad timing that day or if I just suck at snorkling. :p We'll be going to Grand Turk, which seems to be a great snorkling place. So I'm wondering how choppy the water tends to be (I know it obviously varies day to day).

Also, if anyone is familiar with them, would it be better to snorkle off the beach at Bohio Dive Center or go on one of the Carnival excursions?

Or should I maybe try SNUBA?

We will be there next month and are planning on the Ultimate Snorkel. I checked out "Frommer's 2007 Guide to Cruise Ship Ports of Call" and it did mention that the waters off of Grand Turk are calm, an ideal place to snorkel/dive.

So, I think that we should have a great time. Leave a review once you get back - we are on the Elation May 7th, and I would love to hear what you thought about the trip.

Have fun!

Do snorkle off the dock in front of Margaritaville. Lots of small fry to either side in relatively shallow water. Good last snorkle of the day. Just hang over all the potholes. BTW, the water off Grand Turk is not always glass. You might get a snorkle that self drains if swallowing water?

I've snorkled one time before, off of Key West. I got very seasick in the water (I was fine on the boat). I think it was because the water was really choppy that day and I was having a hard time with the current, so I swallowed sea water. I'd like to give it another try, to see if it was bad timing that day or if I just suck at snorkling. :p We'll be going to Grand Turk, which seems to be a great snorkling place. So I'm wondering how choppy the water tends to be (I know it obviously varies day to day).

Also, if anyone is familiar with them, would it be better to snorkle off the beach at Bohio Dive Center or go on one of the Carnival excursions?

Or should I maybe try SNUBA?

Hi,

I was there in March and the water was fine. I dove off the island but I know most of the folks on the cruise I talked to who snorkeled did so off the beach at Margaritaville. There was a snorkel rental place in the shops at the beach and they were happy with the wildlife. Also check out the snorkel threads on the Grand Turk Port section. Especially http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=507966

Randall

Archived