XCaret vs. Xel-Ha....have you been to both?

Getting ready to go on the Inspiration & our port stop is Calica. Just was wondering if anyone had been to both Xcaret & Xel-Ha and if so what was your opinion on these two places? I've heard both are within 10 mins of the ship did I hear right?

Blessings! & Thanks! :cool:

Xcaret is close, Xel-Ha is a bit farther away. I haven't been to either, doing Inspiration 4/28 and still trying to decide. Would rather do Xel-Ha but I think it's a bit too far away. Have you checked out both of their websites? Beautiful and lots of info.

Xcaret is just ten minutes away from the port...Xel-Ha is about a 20 -30 minute drive from Calica. Personally, I have been to both and like Xel-Ha better. Xel-ha is seems to be more natural and has opportunities for floating downthe river, cliff diving, cenotes, rope swing, great snorkeling with big fish, a hammock island, and an opportunity to swim with the dolphins (for $139.00 pp). I was just at Xel-Ha a week ago and it was fabulous. They also have good food. Xcaret has a nice underground (cold water) river to snorkel in and that is a unique feature - though you will not see any fish. And it has some wildlife displays, beach , folk dancers, and some Mayan Ruins. It is a good place to visit as well. Isn't it great to have alot of choices? Happy cruising!

Are there taxis readily available to get to Xel-Ha? And more importantly, to get back to the ship? :eek:

Ah those are my other thoughts!

As much fun as it sounds to be stuck somewhere I'd like to keep with my original intinerary! Which means getting back on time!

:eek:

If you like snorkling and water activities-XelHa. If you want more cultural activies-XCaret, althougth you would probably miss the evening show, probably the highlight of the day. If you just want to snorkle on your own, go to Akumal Bay. Fantastic snorkling, sea turtles, great beach. There is a restuarant, LolHa which has great beach appetizer type of food, mango margueretas. Fantastic! You can rent a beach chair right there and snorkle equipment at the dive shop next door.

Ya know cruiselubbers, we have to stop meeting like this! I think we are both obsessed with Xel-Ha:D

We need someone that's done this to answer. I've put this in the port of call section and got no hits at all.

Ya know so did I! Got the same results there too! lol We have to not only quit meeting like this, but thinking the same things.....golly! This could be the beginning of alot of fun! Ya know???

Hey if we can ever make up our minds we're to go as long as we're on the same page, sure I think we should find us a cab together! :cool:

Sea you in another post I'm sure!

:D

I have been to both and wouldnt pass up the opportunity to visit both given the chance. My fav. is Xcaret though- Last time we arrived right when it opened, and had the park to ourselves for several hours. Try the shrimp pizza- it was delic. I also like the turtle farm they have there. The snorkeling outlet at Xcaret is a bit 'greasy'- this is why they say BIODEGRADABLE SUNTAN LOTION ONLY!!! DONT TRY TO SNEAK IN YOUR REGULAR SUNBLOCK!!!!! :mad: Theres a reason why they ask you not to wear it. That being said- the same is true for Xeh-lah. Snorkeling is better at Xehlah I think simply because there is more space and opportunity to do it. If you like more than snorkeling go Xcaret.

I have not been to XCaret, but can say without a doubt that through all of our travels so far, Xel Ha was the best thing my husband and I did when we went to Cancun. I would travel farther just to go there again. The snorkeling is awesome (they have food on the shore that you can get to feed them so they swim right up to you), then they have bikes you can bike through the dirt road up to the top of the "river" to tube through the mangroves (seriously, it was the clearest water I have ever seen, and with the mangroves hanging over us, it was just beautiful). My DH LOVED the cliff jumping, and we took the nature trail through and got to see some of the live animals. The hammock island was fun and relaxing, and the music everywhere just made you feel like you were in paradise. There are underwater coves to snorkel in as well, but we didn't do that since the water was so cold (we went in December). There are little spots behind trees that have palapas to sit under that are completely secluded from the crowd-- I could go on and on. You won't go wrong with this park!

I agree w/Rzrlns, would go to Xel Ha and skip XCaret, I've been to both. I loved loved loved Xel Ha...have a big pic of DH diving off the cliff on my bookcase and it was awesome to float down the river and see all the cool fish.

My wife occupied one for 6 hours last time we were there.

ROTFLMBO!!!

I could see my husband doing that!! I could also see the possibility of me being off somewhere trying to get into something! Well.......atleast for an hour or two, but I swear I think I'd pay whatever it took to spend the time on an island in a hammock not budging!! And I think he'd be willing to stay there too!

I know one thing, if the cell comes on that precious, peaceful, wonderful & nice day it's NOT being turned on during that part, for CERTAIN!

:D

My only question there is do I have to get up to get a drink? LMBOAgain!

Blessings!

Just wanted to let you know I emailed Xel-Ha today to see if I could find out anything directly from them as far as transporation goes. I'll let you & the rest of our friends know when I find out something!

Are you still thinking of going to Xel-Ha? :cool:

Yes, if transportation is readily available. I'm not worried about getting there, I'm worried about getting back!!!:eek: Let me know as soon as you hear something. I talked it over with DH and he said he's game for either park, just so he can snorkle and relax.

Sounds like us! Either works!

Here's a copy & paste of the email I received today from Xel-Ha!

Hey there!

Here is a copy & paste of the email I received today from Xel-Ha! It was a very quick turnaround & already I'm impressed with them!

Dear Sandra, Thank you for your interest in Xel-Ha. he ride is about 35 minutes. By taxi is the easiest way it will cost about $35-40usd one way (fit 4 people) Best Regards, Customer Service

Thought this might be kinda high, but they should probably know!

:rolleyes:

Of course they didn't say if it was easy to get a cab coming back & I didn't ask! Maybe I should do that too?!

Sea ya!

:cool:

Yeah, that would be kinda important:D Would you be interested in sharing the cab? I figure we would want to leave to come back to the ship no later than 4 PM just to be safe. Ship leaves at 6:30 (I think) so we'd have to back probably by 5:30. I'd want to leave as soon as possible in the morning. We dock at 9:30 (again, I think) so we should be able to be off around 10ish. What's your thoughts?

We loved Xelha (sp) - my kids were 16 & 6 at the time and thought it was like a Disney waterpark that was "real" and made by mother nature instead of the Disney imagineers. We spent the whole day and loved it. There was so much to do and the facilities were really nice. They have lockers, showers, bathrooms, food service etc in a very nice natural environment. Our group ranged from thrill seekers (dh & dd) to petrified passive (me) and we all had a great time. My husband loved the cliff jumping and snorkeling, I loved laying in a hammock stung between two palm trees. Daughters loved floating on the tubes, the lazy river, the rope swings, dolphin cove etc. etc. etc.

sjohnson

Heard back from Xel-Ha our return trip is no problem as they have taxis on standby!

Barring any other problems we should be good to go with sharing a cab if you guys are still interested!

I agree with the times! Off the ship ASAP and leave definitly no later then 4, maybe alittle earlier!

If you buy unlimited like we are planning to do you can eat & drink as much as you want for the day! We might be doing breakfast & lunch there! They do have a breakfast bar btw!

Still looking for a good sunscreen!

Will keep you posted!

Sea ya soon! :D

Does Xel-Ha require biodegradable sunscreen like X-Caret?

- Bama

(wishing he had gone to Xel-Ha instead of Tulum!) :(

Yes dear sure enough!

I thought of Tulum till I heard of Xel-Ha & Xcaret too! I am praying that I'll make the right decision on Xel-Ha & I really feel it will work out great!

By the way the JASON line of products for sunscreen.....not ALL of them say biodegradable on them! I bought one yesterday only to come home & reread the list of ingrediants that are a no no on the Xel-Ha post only to find out that sure enough the main ingrediant in this Jason product had plently of it! Argh!!!!!!!!!!! This is only the 2nd time I've bought sunscreen for it not to work!

Oh the post on Xel-Ha mvega (or close to that) is an employee there so I am certain she/he knows what they are talking about! The posting board on the Xel-Ha site is a great source of information! Easy to sign up & post a question or two....well 3 (lol) to!

Yes dear sure enough!

I thought of Tulum till I heard of Xel-Ha & Xcaret too! I am praying that I'll make the right decision on Xel-Ha & I really feel it will work out great!

Tulum is okay, but I guess I was expecting more. The vistas overlooking the Caribbean are quite breathtaking, but it didn't take too long to make it around the ruins and I was a bit disappointed that you could not get closer to some points of interest.

To top if off, I was less than impressed with our guide ... while knowledgeable, he was very difficult to understand and the bus' PA system was terrible. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best, I would give my Tulum experience a 6.

- Bama

I have been to both parks - and they are both gorgeous.

Xel-ha I loved for the snorkeling...it was incredible and the inlet to the ocean is breathtaking. The float down the river was fun and relaxing and there are places to stop on the way down and jump off the high rocks.

Xcaret has the animals and the evening shows. I also loved the underground river. Very fun but sometimes crowded.

I think it is hard to choose between the parks and the amount of time you have to spend there may help you decide. If you have a full day and can enjoy the evening shows you may want to head to Xcaret, to get the best value.

For a day where you won't be spending the evening anyway - consider Xel-Ha.

And I must say that at both parks - the all inclusive package is well worth it.

Cruiselubbers...I'm with you all the way. We'll figure out when and where to meet you guys. We're old farts :D but still love snorkeling and all. Sharing a cab would rock! And we'll definately leave before 4 PM. My DH said maybe around 3:30 or so. We'll know better after we see how long it takes to get there.

Archived