Rate the coffee on HAL!

PoohQ

The coffee in the Lido and the dining room is OK. I get a cup from each of the Lido machines and find that one of them is usually stronger than the others, which I like. (The coffee on the Diamond Princess was as you describe, horrible.)

Weak across the board is my 2 cents. I like my coffee really strong. Even have one of those fancy semi-automatic espresso machines at home that grinds the beans then makes the coffee. I probably should have stuck to the espresso then added my own milk for lattes. I really thought the lattes tasted weak. By the way, I just use the Costco Kirkland branded beans that's packed for them by Starbucks at home. I did hit up the Lido for coffee a few mornings before the Neptune Lounge was open but I mixed in some hot chocolate with it for a do-it-yourself mocha. :p When we went through our kitchen tour (Pinnacle Grill and Vista Lower), I saw that the machines were exactly the same ones they use in the Neptune Lounge. They added beans one day to the machine in the lounge while I was there but it was a clear bag with no markings so I couldn't tell what brand the beans were.

While we're on the topic - does anybody know what happened to a particular coffee gift package that HAL used to sell on its website in the gifts section? I looked the other day and saw the coffee card good for the Explorations Lounge - 10 drinks, but I didn't see the other one. I remember it being something like 10 drinks plus a mug or something? I was planning to purchase it ahead of time and have it in my room for our May Statendam cruise to Alaska. Did I just miss it somewhere on the website?

My personal opinion of the coffee on any of the lines i've been on.......NASTY. Not only is it usually not much more than scared water but tastes like jet fuel at the same time. I do not drink coffee on any cruise ship. I've tried but just can't. I'm beginning to think it's the water. I say that because, at one time I brought my own little coffee maker and the coffee wasn't that good....but when I bought some bottled water and used that to make my coffee.....what a difference. It's got to be the water.

Of course I can't find it now. But somewhere on HAL's site I was able to print out a brochure of gift items that can be ordered It's way more extensive then the items on line. I scanned it in my computer, but only the front page. So I don't know the phone number of email addresss.

BUT I did email guest relations regarding this and received an answer. I was wanting to know if I could order an extra mug w/this (one of my and DH) and they never answered that question directly. So I haven't place an order yet.

Item #1944

Coffee Lovers (1 Coffee Card for 10 coffee featuring

Starbucks' specialty brand - Torrefazione - and a beautiful

keepsake HAL commuter mug $43.70

Hopes this helps.

Did someone allege that Dunkin Donuts coffee is better than Starbucks? I think I need to quaff some more coffee and reread this thread. I am glad to hear HAL utilizes Starbucks coffee. It just does not get any better than that.

I think the coffee on HAL is ok. Better than Princess.

As for coffee for home: think about roasting your own. I purchase green coffee beans and roast them in a hot air popcorn popper: note, the popcorn popper MUST have the venting along the sides of the chamber (not along the bottom floor). Roasting takes about 5 minutes per batch, although you must do it outside or in a very well ventilated area (due to smoke). After cooling, grind, put into French Press (which I agree with above poster is superior) and enjoy the most fresh coffee imaginable.

One good website: sweetmarias.com. Here you can read about the various roasting methods, etc. I chose the popcorn popper method because it is so easy and quick.

I always found the coffee to be fine.

Just don't go to the Lido at 5:00 - 5:30 in the morning and take a couple cups back to your cabin. Always taste it first. You will save yourself a second trip. :rolleyes: Sometime the coffee is left over from the night before. Just ask someone to make fresh coffee. ;)

100% Colombian coffee beans is what I grind at home, the brand is what I get at my local supermarket (it's the best tasting, & very well known)...the coffee at the Lido is just alright....Vista dinning room coffee is somewhat better. I wish that I could bring my own coffee appliances with me, but that would be foolish. I am an avid coffee drinker, but on our last cruise on the Noordam, I drank a lot of herbal tea.

Archived