Help!!!!!!! Am I ##@$@@#

mish717

Chargebacks are a way of life in the business world and some more so with others (trust me . . . been in the business). Misunderstandings just happen and the credit card's chargeback division is set up to handle these negotiations to the benefit of all. There would be no negative ramification to you whatsoever!

24 hour holds are complimentary...I do it at least 8 times a day on average with CCL. I don't understand why she was charged. The chargeback will be difficult, because even the OP said, she received a confirmation but didn't read it.

I have never had to put a deposit down on a 24 hr hold, is this something new Carnival is doing?

even further on that point, i have never been able to hold a cabin w/o a deposit. the one time i asked about courtesy holds i was told no, it's not done. now, with a TA, i have been able to do this, but never w/ carnival, so :confused:

OP -- if they needed a deposit, then you still shld have had time to cancel w/o penalty. if you were already in the penalty phase, you shld have been req'd to pay the entire fare, so this is confusing.

however, if you cancelled w/in that 24 hr period, you shld contact the credit card company right away, explain the situation and have them put a block on any further chgs from that vendor. they will then send you a form to fill out which you complete and send back. but contact them first, a/s/a/p. in the interim, contact whoever booked it (if it was CCL contact the highest person you can in guest relations), and explain that you are disputing the charge, and request an immediate refund to your card.

In my humble 6 year experience, the chargeback will not be difficult. Again, "no good or services received" will do the job. Also to the credit of the OP, attempts at resolution have been made and can be documented with time and date of phone calls and or emails. A confirmation is nothing until the receipt of goods and or services.

He stated it was the only way to hold the room. I've asked if the conversation was recorded and no one can give me a definte answer. I think that might clear up the situation. He assured me that the confirmation was for the hold only and that I wasn't booking the room.

Yes I should of read the stupid confirmation. So yes it's my fault. Still feels greasy to me - I don't feel he was totally honest. Do they get commision from the amount of bookings they do?

Great news!

After the manager spoke with the agent, she has agreed "as a first time courtsey" to refund the $150. I will defintely book a cruise with Carnival this summer - I will also only give my credit card number if I'm sure this is the cruise I want.

This has made my day!!!!

Thanks for all the responses - my faith in Carnival has been restored.

Michelle

I'm glad it all worked out for you!!! Next time, if you do put a 24 hour hold on a cabin (I do it alot, without any cc given), be SURE to call back and cancel if you aren't sure you can make it. Not calling them back to cancel the hold triggered them to go ahead and think you wanted to move forward with the booking. In other words, they gave you a 24 hour window to decide to cancel, and when you didn't, they took it as confirmation that you wanted to go. That's not really how 24 hour holds are supposed to work, so I'm glad they refunded your money!!! :)

I'm happy it worked out for you, Michelle. I hope you guys can find a date that will fit your family's schedule so that you can book your cruise soon. After you book it for real you can put this confusion behind you and start planning your trip. Good luck!

I'm not so sure I clearly made the mistake. First I was told the hold required $100 and they charged $150. Second the young man assured me that this wasn't a reservation. I was never told that if I didn't call back I would automatically be booked on the cruise. I was told if I didn't return the call in 24 hours then the hold on the room would be dropped.

A misunderstanding between both of us --- yes. But just like a previous poster stated, yes I should have called back in 24 hours, but the cruise line assumed I wanted to go ahead and booked the room. As they said a 24 hour hold doesn't work that way.

Yes it's a lesson learned. I appreicate Carnival cruise line refunding the money.

It tells me I'm valued as a customer. Makes me feel good about doing buisness with this company.

We had a situation in January we hadn't purchased insurance (I know dumb, dumb and dumb) MIL in ICU contacted Carnival to cancel 10 days out Carnival offered to move us to another date extremly helpful no refund but at least we didn't lose it all. I would explain any situation to them especially if your booking anyway and see if they will apply to another cruise.

I just booked last week, but my cruise isn't until October, I didn't have to pay anything to hold it for 24 hours. Carnival's site says cruises for 3 days is a 100.00 deposit. And if canceled 61 days before the cruise no penalty,60 to 30 days you lose the deposit. But you shouldn't have had to pay anything for a 24 hr courtesy hold........but since it was so close to the date of the cruise maybe it's different...

To the OP -- I know that many here will disagree with me -- but, you are the perfect client for a Travel Agent. You seem to need a little help in getting what you want and making sure that the booking is exactly what you are looking for.

Your 1st time can be confusing - and a bit overwhelming -- unless you have a lot of time to dedicate to research. Most TAs won't charge you a fee and will make sure that your booking is correct. If you don't have a TA - ask a friend for a reference -- that's how I get most of my business.

I am a TA -- and I know many people on CC book on their own -- and that is great for some. Others need a helping hand -- and that is fine too!

Good Luck with your summer cruise!! You'll love it!

Sounds like an over-eager PVP/CVS.
I would complain directly to Bob Dickinson (bdickinson@carnival.com) about this, he needs to know what errors are being passed down by his people, it may be that only he can get you out of this.

As to charging the balance of the cruise to the Credit Card you gave him, they don't keep this info on file, so that isn't possible, that's why you got a bill.

E-mail me (************) and I'l give you the name & number of my CVS (since we can't post it here) and maybe she can guide you. I'm also guessing that at the worst you are only out the amount deposited only.

[quote name='takeavacation']To the OP -- I know that many here will disagree with me -- but, you are the perfect client for a Travel Agent. You seem to need a little help in getting what you want and making sure that the booking is exactly what you are looking for.

Your 1st time can be confusing - and a bit overwhelming -- unless you have a lot of time to dedicate to research. Most TAs won't charge you a fee and will make sure that your booking is correct. If you don't have a TA - ask a friend for a reference -- that's how I get most of my business.

I am a TA -- and I know many people on CC book on their own -- and that is great for some. Others need a helping hand -- and that is fine too!

Good Luck with your summer cruise!! You'll love it![/quote]

I agree. I think she was a bit confused and I also believe the pvp knew what she wanted and just took advantage of the situation. My TA has gotten me 24 hr holds on cabins and has even had them extended over the weekend in order for our group to make sure our dates were good. And we were never charged for that.
Good luck op!

[quote name='mish717']I called the cruise booking line to ask a few questions about cruises. [I]I wasn't sure if this was the correct number to call with just questions but the person who answered assured me it was. [/I]

[I]To make a long story short he talked me into holding a room for 24 hours and giving him my credit card number so he could put the $100 depoist necessary to hold the room for 24 hours. He gave me a booking number and at that point I again stated that I was just inquiring and that I had to speak to my husband about this date, etc. He assured me it was only a 24 hour hold. Warning me that if I didn't call in 24 hours the hold would no longer be valid.[/I]

[I]OK --- here's the stupid part from me (in addition to giving him the credit card number) a confirmation was e-mailed to me. No, I didn't read it - yes that was stupid, stupid, stupid. After talking to my husband that night he wasn't ready to comit to that date so I never called back (thinking that the hold would just drop off)[/I]

[I]I received a bill in the mail yesterday demanding the rest of the cost. So I called today and tried to clear this up. Well after talking to several people and finally a manager it seems I'm $#@%%. She will talk to the person I spoke with and try to verify my story but I didn't get alot of hope from her statement (on top of that the hold is for $150 not the $100 he stated to me). I'll be out of the depoist (I've already had a good cry and resigned myself to this). But now the whole cruise thing doesn't look like a good idea. I am soooooooo bummed. I was so looking forward to going on a cruise.[/I][/quote]

Who are you mad at ?

[LIST=1]
[*]Carnival
[*]An un-named TA
[*]Yourself (for giving a credit card #)
[*]Your husband for not agreeing to the cruise ??[/LIST]

[quote name='mish717']Great news!

After the manager spoke with the agent, she has agreed "as a first time courtsey" to refund the $150. I will defintely book a cruise with Carnival this summer - I will also only give my credit card number if I'm sure this is the cruise I want.

This has made my day!!!!

Thanks for all the responses - my faith in Carnival has been restored.

Michelle[/quote]

Also...
[LIST]
[*]If they give you a booking number, YOU BOOKED A CRUISE !
[*]Read your follow-up documents ![/LIST]

Glad everthing worked out for you. Lesson lerned, ask all the qusetions you want but don't give a CC# until you want to buy:). 24 hour hold means no money given and you do lose it if you don't call back.

Good luck with your cruise whe you do book:D

takeavacation had good advise for you too!

Archived