QM2 Westbound Transatlantic Crossing 01/05

Luckycol

I have just returned back to the UK after being lucky enough to travel on the QM2 the first time either myself or partner have cruised.

before embarrking I read the cruise critic boards daily trying to prepare myself for the voyage ahead and everyone comments have inspired me to make this post, my first ever so bear wth me!

We arrived at the docks at 1:00pm mainly due too the fact we were travelling from the north of England and had left plenty of time for our journey, we were greeted by warm and friendly cunard staff, check in was a hi-tech breeze and imagine our joy to be led striaght on board ship instead of having to wait until 3:00pm the time we were supposed to embark.

Nothing had prepared us for our first view of the ship, my partner Dawn was so overwhelmed she was in tears of happiness. we were directed to our stateroom B4 category and a welcome message and a half bottle of sparkling wine were there to greet us. The room was spotless and very well appointed. We then had a tour of the ship, lunch in the Kings court only then to be treat to the site of the QE2 sailing past the deck with a full flotilla in tow, what a sight!

Know I will try and give a review of our favourite public rooms:

Brittania Restaurant

Plenty already said about the room so ill only say that our waiter Robert was excellent, never got an order wrong never had to wait, all courses delivered to the correct person without having to enquire who orderd what and all arriving together. The food in the Brittania was excellent especially when you consider this is mass catering on a grand scale. If we did niot like the taste of our selection then this was whisked away and replaced with an alternative very quickly.

Commodore Club

The best bar on the ship. difficult to find if you are not on the upper decks but well worth it. Cocktails are excellent very reasonably priced $6 for a 2.5 oz $4 1.5 oz and a wonderful elegant room overlooking the prow of the ship. The service was exempalry Dawn said they made her fell like royalty (obviously I don't!. Also this is the only room where the queens grill guests appear to mingle freely with other guests and is definately the best kept secret on board as the masses did not head there.

Chart Room Bar

Very attractive bar with an excellent jazz trio.

Champagne Bar

Beautiful bar serving non vintage Veuve Cliquot from $9 a large glass, we teneded to head for this bar after dinner when it was quiet.

Golden Lion

Typical pub, excellent fish and chips if you can a table at lunch.

Queens Room

Plenty said already about thie fabulous room, our favourite place for afternoon tea, the winter garden being very busy and shouls I say it, a bit plastic.

G32

Wonderful high tech night club no surcharge on the very reasonable bar prices, music too middle of the road for us but you have to cater for your market.

Todd English

We booked early and were glad we had because the dinner reservations were all taken with 24 hours. The food here is wonderful. As others have said the room is never full what i think they do is only allow one reservation per table per night staggering the diners throughout the evening so everyone can choose what they wish and the service is always spot on.

Pavillion Pool

Great indoor pool and bar, bit small perhaps as it was the only pool usal;be for the crossing, the show band come on at three and the place packs out, with peaple dancing and having a good time.

My big tip for anyone travlling on QM2 is take one of the tours run by Brent (formerly of the QE2) on the first full day. They invlove a lot of walking but really do help you find your way around.

We did take in the odd show and the planetarium watched an occasional lecture all of which we really enjoyed but two thing s will really stay with us, the wonderful service of virtually all the staff and the great people we met.

Finally one complaint, nothing to do with the ship, after a week of luxury we were really looking forward to New York but found ourselves dumped on the quayside in 80 degree heat waiting for over an hour for non existant taxis. We finally hauled our luggage for about a mile before managing to hail a cab. This was not an option for older guests left baking onj the side walk and something I think Cunard should try and sort out becausew their own transfes sold out before we even got on board.

If any one wants any further inforamtion about our trip please let me know.

The food offerred that i can remember was caviar with classic garish $20 and canapes $6 the menu was limited but classic pre dinner offerings.

The champagne bar was a definite highlight and the designers have cleverly used what is a bit of 'dead space' above the pursers office overlooking the grand lobby which does mean the steward has to go through to the chartroom bar if any one doesn't want champagne.

Archived