Cruise Prices

AVMom

Hi, does anyone know if the prices are better when booking in advance (like 10 to 12 months), or booking while on a cruise for a future cruise that would be 6 to 7 months out. We are looking at booking for April 2008, but will be taking a cruise in August. Can we book now, then see if the rate is better when on the August cruise and cancel the earlier booking? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I think a lot depends on the cruise, where it is going, what time of year, and how full it gets. I have booked 11 months in advance and the price never did go down. Our last cruise we booked an outside gty and ended up at the highest level of stateroom for outside; did not get upgraded to a balcony. Often if you book through a good TA they will cut the price of the cruise if the price drops as long as it is before final payment.

Cruise ships are like the airlines, they change prices as the supply and demand changes. They may cut the price or they may upgrade your stateroom.

I may be wrong - but I've never heard anyone say they got any "deals" booking on the cruise they were on. You can get the Future Cruise Credits - but if there is any special pricing for booking on a cruise it would be news to me.

We were on the Caribbean Princess April 06 and priced a Baltic cruise for this coming July. We did better through our travel agent. The deposit was much less booking on the ship, but there was really no savings. Price around, there are great deals.

Thanks for the info. This August cruise will be our first with Princess. HAL and NCL both pushed their great "deals" for booking a future cruise while onboard, thought Princess might do the same. Will start shopping around now! Thanks again.

AVMom,

If you are planning to cruise in April 2008, you might want to wait and at least get your future cruise credit on your August trip. That way you'll get the shipboard credit for your April booking. You'll still have almost 8 months until the April cruise, so you shouldn't have any problems with pricing and availability. Also you'll only have to tie up $100 per person for the deposit instead of the normal amounts.

Personally, I would gamble and wait until I returned from my August trip to book the April one.

Enjoy!!

Archived