Carnival Ship Excursion vs. On your own?

Mama1194

My husband and I are taking Carnival Freedom Europe this summer. We are traveling with our kids 12, 9, and 4 and our older parents. I noticed that the Carnival excursions are long. I am afraid that it will completely wear out the kids. I have heard that there are plently of drivers in port which passengers can hire for tours. I thought this might be a good option as we can see the sites at our own pace. What has been some of the experiences finding driver/guides? Can they typically accomodate 7 people. Do I need a car seat for the 4 year old? Were you able to get into see the sites without the big tour group?

I know when traveling with young children less is more. I still believe this experience will be once in a lifetime for us. How can we see as much as possible without burning out the kids and Grandma and Grandpa? I am a little worried!

I am a season travel ! But if this is your first this in EUROPE

Go with the ship, Its so easy to get lost !

Its worth it to spent a little more to be safe.

They can tell you which tours will not be to much for the younger child & older parents ask question before booking or check it out on line. But onces your a season travel.

DONT Ever book tours there very expensive But ! If your not a season travel Please do the ship tour for safe travel.

That's really a port of call question. There are hundreds of threads there covering tours, how to book on your own vs. ship tours vs. public transportation, as well as getting around in the ports (Civitavvechia is particularily challenging).

We planned on taking trains from the ports and ended up going with the ships "Rome on your own" and "Florence on your own and were glad we did."

Email me privately if you have any particular questions about those two cities.

I haven't been on any Europe cruises, but usually take a European vacation 2 or 3 times a year. You should have no problem hiring a driver with a minibus to take you around. Just negotiate on the price BEFORE you get in the vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't book any excursions with the cruise line, and do it indepentantly. Looking at the excursion prices, it seems awfully high, you could probably do it for half or less hiring an independent driver/guide. Plus you get the advantage of seeing exactly what you would like to see. Do a little research on the internet, or get a few europe guidebooks from the library and read up on the highlights of each stop, then decide what you'd really like to see. Tell the driver what you want to see, and they'll do a "custom" tour for you. Plus if the kids are getting antsy, you can just have the driver head back to the ship or stop and get something to eat, etc. without worrying about being part of a huge group.

We also will be on the Carnival Freedom this July. In places like Turkey we decided to use the cruise's excursions. The only one we booked on our own was to the Vatican on the last day.

I would love to hear from some people who have already been on the Freedom as to how the food and cabin service is...also did anyone eat at the supper club ($30.) on the Carnival Freedom and how was it ?

We are new at this Europe cruising thing, and though yes, more expensive, we felt 'safer' to go with Carnival til we get the feel for this cruising/excursion thing.

As far as time is concerned: there are some excursions that are not very long, through Carnival - such as Ephesus (Izmir, Turkey) is 4 hours, Olympia (Katakalon,Greece) is 4 hours, and the Museum and Acropolis (Athen, Greece) is 4.5 hours - some of that is, of course getting to the places.

The long ones that we signed up for are Amalfi coast and Sorrento which is 7 hours, 1.5 each way, so of that, 3 hours is transport. The other is the highlights of Instanbul which is 6.5 hours, but is seeing lot of things, and some shopping time. And then the "Florence on your own" where you can go at your own pace, after the 1.5 hours of travel each way, again, only 6.5 hours of time on your own, which you can do a nice lunch, see the museums etc.,

My mom is diabetic, so we too worried about her being on long excursions w/out food or restrooms and the like, but I think we have all under control with a walker to help so she can sit as needed, etc., Maybe there are some options for the grandparents that would work out as well.

Whenever there is a thread on this subject you will get those who are against booking cruise line tours and those who are big backers of the cruise line tours. I am with bratsuzy on this one. If you are not familiar with the country, err on the side of caution and stick with the ship tour. I admit you might have a little more flexibility going it on your own but you must remember that the ship is not responsible if you have a problem. ( I speak from experience, I was on a ship tour that had bus trouble and the ship waited, they wouldn't have if we had been on our own). Unless you want to take a ship tour that shows limited availability you should be able to book it on the ship after you have had time to discuss it with the shore excursion manager. If you used a TA they might be able to get more detailed information for you too.

While I understand your sentiment about this being a once in a lifetime experience, if the excursion you chose is not "child friendly" you may want to seriously consider Camp Carnival for your 4 year old. I know there were certain excursions we chose not to take DS on when he was younger because we knew he would be miserable and in turn would make the rest of us miserable. He was much happier staying with the counselors than having to go to museums, ruins, and other sightseeing venues that he would not have appreciated or enjoyed.

We just sailed the Freedom pre-inaugural. In every port, we booked our own excursions, we didn't once book a Carnival excursion. Just do your research on the port of call board, this will help you make the decision that works best for you and your family.

The only way that I'd be comfy leaving my kids on the ship would be if there was someone in my family also on the ship in case of emergency. Besides, if you leave them on the ship, they usually have shorter hours for camp Carnival during port days, and it would inhibit your time in port.

In the instances I left DS on the ship I felt comfortable doing so. He had "bonded" with several of the counselors and had made friends with other children who were also there. We made sure our excursions were not too long and were timed to fit with Camp Carnival hours. I don't know that I would have left him all day but felt fine with short excursions.

One thing I must give credit for is the Great staff they hire for those kids.

Do you realize how much there investigated before being hired.

I used them when my children where small.

I would so Leave my 4 year old on board. Unless the child is frighten!

But there staff in child care IS 100 per cent first rate!

There the best at child care! They have to be !

Its shock me that the people don't use the camp more ! Yes there that good!

Archived