Anyone have any thoughts on wearing Jeans

CruisinShips

Ok, I'm weighing in on the subject...I know that everyone has an idea of a his/hers vacation. However, the dining room aboard a cruise ship has to be one of the last holdovers of such a great tradtion. It's bad enough that most tableside presentations are gone or the vegetable platter is non existant. It's a chance to break away from the norm. Even in my case when I wear a suit everyday to work, looking around the ship and dining room and seeing everyone dressed to the nine's makes me smile. And if you notice that night, everyone else seems to be in a more festive mood. It just brings it out.

I will say Carnival is the worst offender of this policy, now before you start beating me up over that comment..Carnival is still my favorite line. That being said, I have seen jeans on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & yes Crystal. Although I will say on Crystal, they did "strongly" suggest that they either change or head up to the casual bistro, which the passengers did. Carnival does nothing. I really don't want to eat lobster and filet while looking at a beer gut in jeans and pit stains(yes Iv'e seen that).

I'm all about relaxing and enjoying yourself on vacation. I enjoy a bucket of beer just as much as the next cruiser. Just have some class and respect for your fellow passengers..Or for that matter yourself.

Ok, I'm weighing in on the subject...I know that everyone has an idea of a his/hers vacation. However, the dining room aboard a cruise ship has to be one of the last holdovers of such a great tradtion. It's bad enough that most tableside presentations are gone or the vegetable platter is non existant. It's a chance to break away from the norm. Even in my case when I wear a suit everyday to work, looking around the ship and dining room and seeing everyone dressed to the nine's makes me smile. And if you notice that night, everyone else seems to be in a more festive mood. It just brings it out.

I will say Carnival is the worst offender of this policy, now before you start beating me up over that comment..Carnival is still my favorite line. That being said, I have seen jeans on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & yes Crystal. Although I will say on Crystal, they did "strongly" suggest that they either change or head up to the casual bistro, which the passengers did. Carnival does nothing. I really don't want to eat lobster and filet while looking at a beer gut in jeans and pit stains(yes Iv'e seen that).

I'm all about relaxing and enjoying yourself on vacation. I enjoy a bucket of beer just as much as the next cruiser. Just have some class and respect for your fellow passengers..Or for that matter yourself.

Great Post Cruiseguy1970.

Dan

I really don't want to eat lobster and filet while looking at a beer gut in jeans and pit stains(yes Iv'e seen that).

Lobster and filet are served on formal night. I've never seen people wear jeans on formal night, only on resort casual night. You can still see beer guts and pit stains in a tux. ;)

I agree about the tradition going to the wayside, but that seems to be the way of things these days. People are less into traditions, and more into being comfortable on vacation. Is that a good thing? Who knows? But they aren't hurting anyone, and since the cruise lines themselves are doing away with many traditions, you have to almost expect the passengers to follow suit. I don't think it even has anything to do with the "younger generation", as many, if not most people that I've seen in jeans have been in the 40-50 age range. If people want a more traditional cruise line, there are many options available. Try an upscale line, QE2, Crystal, maybe even Celebrity. If you aren't willing to try a more traditional line, then you almost shouldn't be suprised when the passengers don't follow tradition, the cruise lines set the rules, and the atmosphere.

Most passengers don't even KNOW what traditional cruising is, so how can we expect them to follow it? Their first experience with cruising is on a fun ship filled with jeans wearers, yet we somehow "expect" them to not buck tradition? Then call them rude and crass when they just follow suit of the other passengers?

I really don't want to eat lobster and filet while looking at a beer gut in jeans and pit stains(yes Iv'e seen that).

Sigh. Unbelievably judgemental. So we're back to the stereotyping of those who wear jeans in the year 2007 as being low class slobs, huh? I take it you haven't read much of the prior content in this thread that you are responding to, huh? Times change, fashion changes. Many people look much more dressed up in their nice designer jeans and long sleeve shirts than others in their Wal Mart Dockers and polo shirts.

Talk about LOL.

Trends die, thankfully or we'd all still be slicking our hair back and wearing poodle skirts.

And "more expensive" just means you're over paying for something, it isn't the same as higher priced, which usually equates better quality.

Then again most "younger" people don't understand the difference.

"Hipper"? What century is that from? :D

Hey Mike,

You been out to eat anywhere in this century????LOL

Dan

At least in polite Southern genteel society it is inapproriate! Did you know that it is even considered rude for a man to offer to shake a woman's hand unless she offer's it first? I daresay' date=' you didn't ![/quote']

...oh those darn hat wearing yankees, that's ok, it is rude, crude, inpolite and innappropriate to own slaves either, even though Southern genteel society would have gladly continued to do it today :rolleyes:

Well said. I understand that some people do consider dinner aboard a Carnival ship the equivalent of a night out at an exclusive country club or expensive restaurant. But the sad truth is it is not. It is an affordable, mass produced eating hall for people who are on a casual, inexpensive, tropical lower end vacation. Yes Carnival cruises are wonderful for what they are, but they are what they are.

Those who think it is their place to judge what others wear as if it somehow lessens the value of their own vacation experience really need to look elsewhere for their self affirmation.

My cruise last November and my upcoming cruise on the Liberty is considered a lower end vacation!!!!. OMG had a great time on the Legend last time, met wonderful people from all walks of life. I dont remember eating in a mass hall. I will not be sterotyped into a lower end vacation, cancelled my December cruise on the Liberty. Sad but not true, just kidding, will have a great time on the Liberty and it will not be lower end vacation. BTW, I ate in the dining room each night, not a hall. Not sure if I will pack any jeans as the Carnival web site says resort casual. Will pack my Suit for formal nights thats a given. I dont want to wear any jeans on my vacation, just my choice. Wear them if you want on your cruise, but please dont imply that my hard earned cruise is a lower vacation option, that is from an earlier post about what a Carnival cruise is and the dining room.

Dan

Dan

I agree that it is perfectly acceptable for a Woman to wear a hat and in some other cultures men wear headpieces' date=' but quite frankly, I think we are talking about American society here, and in this instance, it is crude, and rude! At least in polite Southern genteel society it is inapproriate! Did you know that it is even considered rude for a man to offer to shake a woman's hand unless she offer's it first? I daresay, you didn't ![/quote']

I do know that custom about the hand offering. Yes that is an old Southern custom. I always noticed when growing up in the 50's that men donned their hats when a lady approached or was present. Men rose when a lady came to the table. Very civilized when I now look back at this. Lots of old Soutnern tradition would now apply well if people would use them. Ingore the post about slavery that was directed to you, had nothing to do about your post.

Have alot of memories of growing up in the South in the 50s and 60s' and the traditons passed down. Treating everyone with respect was upmost.

Dan

You are referring to farmers like it's a dirty word.

Just remember, if it weren't for farmers, you wouldn't be eating prime rib, or steak, or corn, or oranges, or drinking wine, or beer.....................

Farmers feed the world.

Regarding my post earlier...I'm 37, so I would fit into the "younger generation". The difference is, I was brought up with respect and a sense of of decorium and tradition. This isn't about age, it's about acting like an adult.

Two points and a nod from a 34 year old. So thats two of us.

You are referring to farmers like it's a dirty word.

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post and refer to my comment "they must have been farmers", if you did, I apologize. It was sarcastic (very), due to the others on this thread that implied that only farmers would wear jeans in the dining room. My dad owns a farm, I live in farm country, have friends that are farmers, and cruise with several from the mid-West. I love farmers. By the way, my Dad would outdress most people in the DR on any given cruise.

I don't think it even has anything to do with the "younger generation", as many, if not most people that I've seen in jeans have been in the 40-50 age range

Like I said, I DON'T think it has anything to do with the younger generation. I would "almost" fit into that generation, and dress nicely in the dining room. I do feel overdressed in a dress and heels most nights, due to the capri wearers with flip flops that I see as often as jeans. But, I still dress nicely, because I like it. :)

I was brought up with respect and a sense of of decorium and tradition. This isn't about age, it's about acting like an adult.

So, in your opinion, people who wear jeans have no respect, no sense of decorium, are non traditional, and act like children? We can add to that crass, rude, farmers with beer guts and pit stains? I too was brought up with a sense of tradition, and do not wear jeans, but I don't pass judgements or automatically label personalities of those who do. I was also brought up with a sense of acceptance of others.

Now, where's that horse, I need to go kick it.

I do know that custom about the hand offering. Yes that is an old Southern custom. I always noticed when growing up in the 50's that men donned their hats when a lady approached or was present. Men rose when a lady came to the table. Very civilized when I now look back at this. Lots of old Soutnern tradition would now apply well if people would use them. Ingore the post about slavery that was directed to you, had nothing to do about your post.

Have alot of memories of growing up in the South in the 50s and 60s' and the traditons passed down. Treating everyone with respect was upmost.

Dan

I personally would like to know why some things are considered ill-mannered.

For instance, wearing a hat, why on earth should it bother someone if someone else is wearing a hat indoors or at dinner, or anywhere else for that matter? Does it really make you feel better to look at their head?

Doffing a hat to a woman, why? Would not a friendly wave of the hand suffice?

Standing up when a women comes to the table or gets up? What purpose does it serve?

Stating that that is the way it is, is not really an answer. Similarly neither is "it is good manners" an answer.

Lots of things in life are pointless and so are most of these useless behaviours and traditions. Perhaps the new generation is more willing to avoid doing things like this for no good reason.

Just my .02 pence.

Cheers,

Peter

I am from the Seattle area. I take the ferries a lot. When I am on a cruise I like to dress better than when I take a ferry. We love our jeans here in Washington State. Me too. But I love to kick it up a notch when I am on a pretty cruise ship. I almost feel like, they put all this effort into making a beautiful dining room (Liberty) and I want to make the effort to respect the atmosphere and the effort the staff puts in for you to have an elegant meal. That is just the way my husband and I feel. Wear jeans to formal night if you choose. I won't think any less of you. But we are going to dress to the nines :)

We have been lucky enough to be invited to the Captains table a few times. Can you imagine how embarassed I would have been walking into the dining room with the Captain and the rest of the party in jeans or capris!

Dan

I would rather walk myself into oncoming traffic than subscribe to the "the old civilized southern traditions". That type of society you are descibing was on the record - on of the most uncivilized and brutal in history - sure they pretended in public, but dang:eek:

My cruise last November and my upcoming cruise on the Liberty is considered a lower end vacation!!!!. OMG had a great time on the Legend last time, met wonderful people from all walks of life. I dont remember eating in a mass hall. I will not be sterotyped into a lower end vacation, cancelled my December cruise on the Liberty. Sad but not true, just kidding, will have a great time on the Liberty and it will not be lower end vacation. BTW, I ate in the dining room each night, not a hall. Not sure if I will pack any jeans as the Carnival web site says resort casual. Will pack my Suit for formal nights thats a given. I dont want to wear any jeans on my vacation, just my choice. Wear them if you want on your cruise, but please dont imply that my hard earned cruise is a lower vacation option, that is from an earlier post about what a Carnival cruise is and the dining room.

Dan

Dan

Dan -- you are correct and I apologize for that post. I was intending to take a shot at some of the very judgmental comments I keep reading here and in the process my comments may have been offensive to others. I just resent the implications that those who have a different sense of fashion, appropriateness, and a different understanding of the policies are deemed to be low class, crass, rude, etc. That is my whole message in this exchange...that people should not be so judgemental of others and consider there are good, educated, respectable people out there who have a different opinion on this subject. Again, I apologize if I offended you in the process.

Dan -- you are correct and I apologize for that post. I was intending to take a shot at some of the very judgmental comments I keep reading here and in the process my comments may have been offensive to others. I just resent the implications that those who have a different sense of fashion, appropriateness, and a different understanding of the policies are deemed to be low class, crass, rude, etc. That is my whole message in this exchange...that people should not be so judgemental of others and consider there are good, educated, respectable people out there who have a different opinion on this subject. Again, I apologize if I offended you in the process.

Thanks, nice post.

Dan

I would rather walk myself into oncoming traffic than subscribe to the "the old civilized southern traditions". That type of society you are descibing was on the record - on of the most uncivilized and brutal in history - sure they pretended in public, but dang:eek:

My post was one of recalling some childhood memories. Didnt ask anyone to subscribe to anything.

Dan

Archived