The Best of Costa Maya

smiling1

Majahual is beautifull, and we loved it. And there's also a very disorganized Mexican feel to it ;) Water is crystal clear and there's no waves because they're stopped by a reef or something like that ;)

77168250.Sg8A0NuY.ExplorerSeas_1562.jpg

I can't get over how beautiful your pictures are. I was on Explorer of the Seas in September 2006. Wow! You should sell your photos to RCCL. There photos don't do that ship justice but yours certainly do!

You don't happen to have pictures of the Carnival Victory????

We just got back from the Grand and spent the day at the Hotel Maya Luna in Mayajual.... I cannot recommend this enough.. it was amazing! It is a small hotel on the beach, it's only 4 cottages, but the restaurant is awesome. It is owned and operated by a Dutch couple Carolein and Jan, they charge a $25 deposit, which is deducted from your final bill. They're website is : www.hotelmayaluna.com

They do limit their daily cruise ship visitors to 15 per day, which is no problem as we had the entire place to ourselves. Their guests checked out that morning. Carolein was gracious enough to allow us usage of one of the cottages upper decks and lounge chairs to hang around, eat and just enjoy the cool breeze. I highly recommend this if you are on a honeymoon and just want to chill while in port. You will have to make arrangements for your cab driver to return at a specific time to take you back to the ship. Enjoy!!!:)

We took the bus to Mahahual Beach and walked down past the Cats Meow. They had literally no beach front. We were going to go back for their famous coconut shrimp later in the day.

We went down a little futher and stumbled upon Oxtankah. So glad we did. ADOLFO treated us like kings. For 5.00 we got padded chairs (right at the shoreline) umbrellas, drink service, massages in their upstairs hut (overlooking the ocean) 20.00 for an hour, restroom and shower facilities. Adolfo waited on us hand and foot. He was totally attentive the entire day. I cannot say enough about how well we were treated. There were 6 of us. They were so welcoming and friendly.

Later we went down to the Cats Meow to eat. I was really looking forward to this stop as I'd heard so much about it. I can't tell you how angry I was when George scoffed at our tip. The bill was 89.00 - we handed over 15% and he proceeded to tell us it wasn't good enough. The owner then came over and told us most people leave 20%. I was outraged. If I felt the service was exceptional - we would have left more. However for the 1 1/2 hour we were there and the fact that we only saw George to take our order and he didn't deliver our food... I didn't feel the service was exceptional. Maybe he takes better care of those who hang out all day??? Anyway - I was personally disapointed and will not retrun to Cat's Meow. The fact that the owner was insulted with our 15% tip was a major disapointment. They can keep their shrimp.

I want to go back to Costa Maya and will contact Adolfo for a return trip to their place. We didn't eat there - could have. Just having too much fun drinking and swimming. Nice beachfront.. not huge but if you get there early - you have prime seats. Got crowded in the afternoon. I think we got their around 11:00.

His e-mail is Aenarvaez@hotmail.com.

I have photos of OXTANKAH - I will post later.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found the service at Cat's less than acceptable. I wasn't even going to mention it until now because I thought maybe we had caught them on a bad day or in a stressed out moment. We were there 4 weeks ago, and like you, we walked right past because of lack of beach front. What little they had was already occupied. We spent our day at El Faro and were pleased with it, but just had to make a stop at Cat's on the way out for the food. It was me and my 13 year old niece who left the rest of the group to try the coconut shrimp. Just to set the story up, we are the ideal customers by standards as far as manners, appearance, etc. When I walked up, the owner asked if she could help us and I told her we had read about the place on this website and just had to try the coconut shrimp. Then she told my niece, too bad you are a little to old to get the free bottled water we usually offer kids. I was thinking to myself how we had never heard they offered free water for kids nor were we expecting that, so why even mention it? Our service was average at best and we tipped accordingly (around 15%). We were in a hurry to get back to port, so I didn't stick around to see if the waiter snarled at it or not.

Bottom line: I think this establishment and its people have become a tad too arrogant from all the good reviews they recieve and the service has suffered. The very idea of a waiter in a nation with one of the highest rates of poverty in the hemisphere becoming pompus over a 15% tip is utterly laughable. I could understand if it were no tip or a tip too small, but 15% is customary for average service.

April 4 was my first visit to this wonderful port, and like many of you, I turned to this site for ideas on where to go. We had a wonderful day in Majahual, and though we spend the majority of it at one establishment, we made a point to walk the strip and try out some others we had heard about from this site to make the most of our experience. I just wanted to share my findings with you so you can experience and decide for yourself depending on what is important to you.

Best Beach: Pez Quadro. They have more beachfront that many others.

Best Food: Cat's Meow. The fajitas and coconut shrimp were out of this world.

Best Chips and Salsa: El Faro. Fresh vegetables and perfect flavor. Spicy without being too hot. And, it was free!

Biggest Margaritas for the price: Cat's Meow. A large "real" margarita glass as restaurants in the states would serve it in was $4. Many other places charged $4 or $5 for a small plastic cup. Pretty tasty too.

Best Tasting Margaritas: Pez Quadro. So what if it was $5 for a small plastic glass. It was clear they used fresh lime juice, not a concentrated mix (the bartender confirmed this). It was the quintessential margarita.

Best Massage for the price: White canopy next to El Faro. $20 will buy you a full hour, full body massage just like your favorite spa would charge you at 4 times the price. I read where most others got 45 min. for $20 elsewhere.

Best Beer Value: Almost all the restaurants will sell buckets of 6 beers for $10. Don't pay more for beer than this.

Free use of chairs & tables: El Faro. Others may do this, but none of the restaurants with vacancy at the time we arrived would.

Most lively waitstaff: Tapas. These guys wore green t-shirts that said "Kiss Me I'm Irish". They were all comics who knew how to entertain and get a crowd pumped.

Best Music: Tapas and Pez Quadro. The both played a mixture of dance, latin, and calypso to enhance the flavor of the atmosphere.

Best Service: El Faro. Our waitress, Adrianna took care of us like we were guests in her home. And, she would not accept a dime in payment until we were ready to leave for the day--even when we walked to get massages or to visit other places. We are firm believers in tipping, and she earned our respect as well as the cash we gladly left for her.

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy Costa Maya!!!!!:)

I found it very helpful. And if I am understanding what you and others are saying, Costa Maya is a kind of place where I can take a taxi, stop "in town" and just roam from place to place if I want to?

Thanks for your great post!

Come on September!

There was eight of us in my group that went to HOTEL MAYA LUNA. I did make reservations before hand and paid the amount of $50 up front. Our ship, the GRAND, did not make it there until 12pm not 10am as scheduled but was not a problem at the hotel. We walked and got the yellow taxi from outside the pier area.

When we got to the resort we were the only people there besides two other couples from the cruise. It was so peaceful and relaxing. You can snorkel, or kayak or just lay in the lounges. If there are not enough of the chairs on the beach they will get more. For the snorkel use it was $5.00.

All the food and drinks were AWESOME. For the eight of us drinking and eating and a couple snorkeling, we only had to pay $50 dollars more. With a tip and everything it was about $17 a person. We had margarits, beer, blue ocean margaritas, top shelf margarits, and lots of food. Everything was made fresh. It was awesome. I would definately would recommend this place if you want to get away from the crowds.

Just beware that the same taxi guy tried to charge us more on the way back but the owner talked to him and told him he would call his boss if he did. Therefore, make sure you get the cost upfront on the way back if he says he will be there to pick you up. The cost should be $5 per person each way.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS TO GO TO THIS PLACE.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found the service at Cat's less than acceptable. I wasn't even going to mention it until now because I thought maybe we had caught them on a bad day or in a stressed out moment. We were there 4 weeks ago, and like you, we walked right past because of lack of beach front. What little they had was already occupied. We spent our day at El Faro and were pleased with it, but just had to make a stop at Cat's on the way out for the food. It was me and my 13 year old niece who left the rest of the group to try the coconut shrimp. Just to set the story up, we are the ideal customers by standards as far as manners, appearance, etc. When I walked up, the owner asked if she could help us and I told her we had read about the place on this website and just had to try the coconut shrimp. Then she told my niece, too bad you are a little to old to get the free bottled water we usually offer kids. I was thinking to myself how we had never heard they offered free water for kids nor were we expecting that, so why even mention it? Our service was average at best and we tipped accordingly (around 15%). We were in a hurry to get back to port, so I didn't stick around to see if the waiter snarled at it or not.

Bottom line: I think this establishment and its people have become a tad too arrogant from all the good reviews they recieve and the service has suffered. The very idea of a waiter in a nation with one of the highest rates of poverty in the hemisphere becoming pompus over a 15% tip is utterly laughable. I could understand if it were no tip or a tip too small, but 15% is customary for average service.

Glad you posted as well - I had read one post where someone mentioned George's disgust with their tip - so when it happened to us - I knew the other post was true. Truth in numbers. I agree - their ego has gotten too big for their business. WE didn't spent the day because of their lack of beachfront as well. Not much else to offer but coconut shrimp.

Ginny,

I went to the Hotel site. Very informative. However, what was the $50 for...a room or use of the facilities. I'll be going on my first cruise in December, and Costa Maya is one of our stops. Cruise Critic has been a great place for information....I love reading all the new posts. Thanks!

The $50 was a deposit for our large group. Then they take the Deposit off the bill. Since they only let a few people to use the facility from the ship, they don't want people saying they will be there and not show up. Then other people who really wants to go to the hotel, will not be given the chance to go.

Just got back from Costa Maya on the Carnival Valor. After much research, we decided to go the Maya Palms Resort, www.mayapalms.com

This is a great place. Full of authentic, but very rustic, laid back, charm. Please go here with the proper expectations, as it is not a fancy luxury resort like in the USA, but a very nice, beautiful, quiet, and well run hotel, offering peace and quiet away from the cruise ship masses.

Doug, the owner was great. He really worked hard to keep everyone happy throughout the day, keeping our drinks full, and making sure we had what we needed. He was a little short handed the day we were there, so his extra effort was well appreciated by us.

We chose this place mainly for the snorkeling, as they have some of the area's best only 400 yards off shore, which they take you out on their well equipped, large snorkeling boat. This place is also a full dive operation.

However, due to high winds, we were unable to go out on the reef :( :( , which was very disappointing because we read many great reviews of the AWESOME snorkeling here. But, the conditions were not cooperating that day, so we just spent the day lounging by the pool, sipping drinks, and enjoying the private beach in total peace.

There were about 10 other people from the cruise ship there as well. In my opinion, a few of them came with different expectations of the place, and were a little unhappy and unreasonable, complaining about things that were ridiculous, which was very disheartenting to us because they were not able to appreciate the wonderful charm of the place. Oh well, some people just cannot be pleased, no matter what. It's really their loss.

Go here if you want the awesome proximity to the reef for diving and snorkeling, total peace and quiet, a beautiful pool, great authentic mexican food, friendly staff, a private beach (don't expect it to be totally free of debris), and a very laid back atmosphere. These places are so rare these days. Go and enjoy it for the raw beauty and you will not be disappointed!!!

We just got back from the Grand and spent the day at the Hotel Maya Luna in Mayajual.... I cannot recommend this enough.. it was amazing! It is a small hotel on the beach, it's only 4 cottages, but the restaurant is awesome. It is owned and operated by a Dutch couple Carolein and Jan, they charge a $25 deposit, which is deducted from your final bill. They're website is : www.hotelmayaluna.com

They do limit their daily cruise ship visitors to 15 per day, which is no problem as we had the entire place to ourselves. Their guests checked out that morning. Carolein was gracious enough to allow us usage of one of the cottages upper decks and lounge chairs to hang around, eat and just enjoy the cool breeze. I highly recommend this if you are on a honeymoon and just want to chill while in port. You will have to make arrangements for your cab driver to return at a specific time to take you back to the ship. Enjoy!!!:)

How much was the round trip cab fare? We are leaving on May 14th and cant's decide if we should take a cab or rent a golf cart. Thanks!

If your looking for a secluded and relaxing day at Costa Maya I would recommend renting a golf cart and driving to John and Susie's. We rented a golf cart just outside of the port for $60 for the day. The people at the stand will give you a map with directions to local establishments. John and Susie are the last stop on the map and a couple of miles outside of town. Once outside of Mahahual it was a relaxing drive to John and Susie's. Be patient because you feel like your on a road to nowhere that eventually passes this great little piece of paradise. John and Susie serve up the best margarita's with top shelf tequila. John and Susie are Americans who have lived in Costa Maya for years. They have wonderful stories and local gossip that will keep you entertained for hours as you sip on margarita's and beer. If you want to swim, snorkel or take a nice private walk on multiple acres of beach front property, this is the place to go. Susie makes and sells her own tropical clothing as well. After about 4 hours we hesitantly decided to leave. We spent about $45 for a Hawaiian shirt, a t-shirt, multiple freshly squeezed lemonade's for my daughter and numerous margaritas for my wife and myself. We drove back into town and enjoyed a $20 massage and a couple of drinks with some shrimp at the Cat's Meow. The food was good at the Cat's Meow but the drinks and atmosphere does not compare to John and Susie's.

If your looking for a secluded and relaxing day at Costa Maya I would recommend renting a golf cart and driving to John and Susie's. We rented a golf cart just outside of the port for $60 for the day. The people at the stand will give you a map with directions to local establishments. John and Susie are the last stop on the map and a couple of miles outside of town. Once outside of Mahahual it was a relaxing drive to John and Susie's. Be patient because you feel like your on a road to nowhere that eventually passes this great little piece of paradise. John and Susie serve up the best margarita's with top shelf tequila. John and Susie are Americans who have lived in Costa Maya for years. They have wonderful stories and local gossip that will keep you entertained for hours as you sip on margarita's and beer. If you want to swim, snorkel or take a nice private walk on multiple acres of beach front property, this is the place to go. Susie makes and sells her own tropical clothing as well. After about 4 hours we hesitantly decided to leave. We spent about $45 for a Hawaiian shirt, a t-shirt, multiple freshly squeezed lemonade's for my daughter and numerous margaritas for my wife and myself. We drove back into town and enjoyed a $20 massage and a couple of drinks with some shrimp at the Cat's Meow. The food was good at the Cat's Meow but the drinks and atmosphere does not compare to John and Susie's.

Sounds like a fabulous place. So let me get this right......... Go through town..... past all the "residential area" and they are at the end ?

We walked down that way in February, but didn't see anything. Maybe we didn't go far enough????????

Yes, once you go through town you'll pass a couple of residential homes as well as a couple of little hotels. John and Susie's is on your left (beach side) a couple of miles down the road. I wouldn't recommend walking there but if you are taking a golf cart be patient, you'll eventually get there. Even driving I started questioning whether I had passed it and debated about turning around.

It is 7.5 km or about 4.5 miles from the main paved road (Lighthouse).

Past the small bridge

Past Balamku Hotel

Past Maya Luna Hotel

Past Travel In

Past Margarita del Sol Hotel

Now you are there!

Nice "drive" worth the trip.

Majahual is beautifull, and we loved it. And there's also a very disorganized Mexican feel to it ;) Water is crystal clear and there's no waves because they're stopped by a reef or something like that ;)

77168250.Sg8A0NuY.ExplorerSeas_1562.jpg

Oh my gosh~ This Picture is Beautiful!!!!!! My friend and I are planning on going on a cruise to Costa Maya and Grand Cayman (Its on hold right until the 22nd, not 100% sure we want to go there). My question is... we would be going on December 15-20th. I have heard that its a beautiful place, typically nice and sunny, but then I read that during the time we are going it rains everyday all day :( and then I also read on another board that the area is nasty and you will get sick if you drink anything other than can drinks because the water is so contaminated. Is this true? If so, that means you shouldnt go swimming either? I just dont want to pay all this money for a cruise and get rained out both nights and then become best friends with the Porcelain pot if you kow what I mean (I know I probably spelled that wrong). But looking at this picture, it looks so nice!!! I really want to go to these places. We went the Bahamas last December and it rained a little at night while we were docked at Nassau, but then it was beautiful the next day at Coco Cay. Any opinions, tips, excursion ideas would be greatly appreciated :) You all are the experts!! Thanks for taking the time to read this, Hope you all have a great day.

Kallel00

That is such a gorgeous picture of the beach. We will be there in about two weeks. I set your picture as the background on my computer so that I can see it everyday in anticipation of our "Beach" day.

Deb and I were there in last November (06) and the weather was a bit rainy. Despite the conditions, we had a great time in Mahahual. Here is a link that shows the sunny side of the port. http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/P1010118a-t.html

Hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did. We are headed back again this Nov.

We just got back from a trip on the Legend and have got to say that Charlie Brown's was the best. I had heard about him on cruise critic and when we got to the beach right past Cat's Meow on beach side was Charlie Brown. He gave us great service and the food was good. Beer bucket 6 beers for $10. Lounge chairs on the beach for free & a table w/ chairs. He was a great guy and definitely appreciated our patronage. Check him out if you can:o

We just got back from a trip on the Legend and have got to say that Charlie Brown's was the best. I had heard about him on cruise critic and when we got to the beach right past Cat's Meow on beach side was Charlie Brown. He gave us great service and the food was good. Beer bucket 6 beers for $10. Lounge chairs on the beach for free & a table w/ chairs. He was a great guy and definitely appreciated our patronage. Check him out if you can:o

I know that I really enjoyed the Mango Daquiri I got there. It was the BEST!

Tasted just like a milkshake . YUMMY!:D

• 2 weeks later...
There was eight of us in my group that went to HOTEL MAYA LUNA. I did make reservations before hand and paid the amount of $50 up front. Our ship, the GRAND, did not make it there until 12pm not 10am as scheduled but was not a problem at the hotel. We walked and got the yellow taxi from outside the pier area.

When we got to the resort we were the only people there besides two other couples from the cruise. It was so peaceful and relaxing. You can snorkel, or kayak or just lay in the lounges. If there are not enough of the chairs on the beach they will get more. For the snorkel use it was $5.00.

All the food and drinks were AWESOME. For the eight of us drinking and eating and a couple snorkeling, we only had to pay $50 dollars more. With a tip and everything it was about $17 a person. We had margarits, beer, blue ocean margaritas, top shelf margarits, and lots of food. Everything was made fresh. It was awesome. I would definately would recommend this place if you want to get away from the crowds.

Just beware that the same taxi guy tried to charge us more on the way back but the owner talked to him and told him he would call his boss if he did. Therefore, make sure you get the cost upfront on the way back if he says he will be there to pick you up. The cost should be $5 per person each way.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS TO GO TO THIS PLACE.

We went to the HML during our cruise on the Fantasy during May. It was just my husband and me and we were the ONLY people there at the time! Caroleina (spelling, sorry) made fresh guacamole for us, and we had plenty of beer. In fact, she had some Leon` beer stashed somewhere and put some in the freezer for my husband!

I used the kayak to get out to the reef for some good snorkeling. The beach there is quiet and pretty, and since we prefer to be "far from the madding crowd" the Hotel Maya Luna suited our needs perfectly!

For those who probably will ask, yes there is some sea grass close in. However, if you use the kayaks to get past it, the water is terrific and snorkeling very good!

Archived