Nail Question!!

jlew

I really hate to ask this...but here goes....does anyone know if the Salon's on the ships have the capability to do nail fill-ins? My nails have the tips, and the acrylic etc. and I am worried about how awful my nails will look while on vac. for 3 weeks in Italy and on the ship! Any help would be appreciated! We will be on Celebrity Galaxy....anyone know ????

I know that some of the Princess ships provide acrylic fills. But they do not do silk wraps - I have to use those as I developed an allergy to the acrylic.

I am planning to do my own silk wrap "fill and fix-up" on board. My wonderful nail tech is making sure I have the items that are not easily found that I will need to be able to keep my manicure looking nice while away for 3 weeks.

If worse comes to worse, one could always take the acrylic powder, liquid, brush, and files and buffers, do the fill, then go to the salon for the color.

Also, I am very fussy about who touches my nails - fingers or toes - so I tend to "do it myself" as much as possible while on board, but do all the mani-pedi pampering at "my day spa" immediately before and immediately after the trip.

I always just figured they could do fills and/or fix a broken nail, although luckily I never had to have it done on the ship. I always take my polish with me so if i needed to get one nail fixed they could do it and match it up with the rest of them. I wouldn't think it would cost too much, at home here it costs about $3-$5 to fix one nail. Even if I had to pay $10-$12 on the ship for one nail it wouldn't be too outrageous! Does anyone know if they would fix a nail?(and not put on a whole new set?)

They say my nails grow really really fast....so that is why I am concerned about this, maybe I should just get them taken off and not worry about it, but then they will really look bad! If no one knows for sure if they do acrylic fill ins I may just call Celebrity to make sure....i was hoping to avoid asking such a seemingly non-important question!!! haha.

Unless you have 4-6 months before your vacation, you may be disappointed in the slow rate of nail growth :o . That's about how long it takes to grow back to normal nails after having acrylics on for a while.

I'm pretty sure the ships salon does fills, if not I would just take along a good file, some nail polish and try to get by for three weeks.

I don't wear acrylics, but gels nails and when I know I have to go extra time between fills, I have my nail tech take my nails down shorter than she usually does. I wear them at a "sport length" normally, a length where you can still manage to use your hands without being concerned about your nails.

It varies from ship to ship. I think it depends if there is a nail technician who knows how to do them. I noticed on our last RCCL cruise (Legend of the Seas) that they advertised both full sets and fill-ins. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact price, but I do recall thinking that it was more than at home.

I have found that "fills" vary from ship to ship. While I did not need a fill on my last cruise, the spa menu in my stateroom stated they provided acrylic fills but listed no price. When I scheduled my pedicure I inquired about fills and the price. I was told that this particular ship did not do the fills but some of their other ships did. My advice is to have your nails done as close to leaving as possible and schedule your next appt. for when you return. HTH

Lisa :)

Thanks so much, I knew I could count on you all for this type of information!!! I will schedule my appt. the day before we fly out, and hope for the best when onboard. I kinda have a feeling they may not have ALL the spa services on this size ship (Galaxy)...but who knows...I will just wait and see, at least I now know it is a possibility!!

Thanks again!

Sounds like you have already made your decision. I know exactly what you're going through. I used to do acrylics and after two weeks, they looked pretty bad. For some reason, I can go three weeks with gels before they start looking bad. Maybe there is less delineation between the cuticle and nail, I don't know. I'm just glad I don't have to go to the salon as frequently.

For anyone else that is considering taking their acrylics off altogether for a vacation, I did that once (not for a vacation, rather just to give my nails a rest), and my fingertips ached for days afterwards. It felt like somebody had hit my fingertips with a hammer. I don't know if the tech did a bad removal job (they didn't hurt at the time) or if it's a matter of my real nails being exposed after have been covered up for so long or what.

I finally ended up having a new set of acrylics applied. Don't know if anybody else has ever had this experience, but I'm glad I was at home and able to do something about it, as opposed to be on a cruise or other vacation and have to stick it out.

T

Archived