Advice Needed : Best Beaches in Hawaii

Iceangel

I have a 15 day cruise booked for the fall. We've been to Hawaii before & done many wonderful things, but I love beaches !!!

I want a beach with calm crystal water, softish sand & sea shells

(cold beer for husband)

No huge waves, hungry sharks or rough rocks.

We'll be in 5 ports so any and all beach suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It's so variable - a beach can be glassy smooth one day, rough as heck the next. And sea shells are kind of a tough thing to find. No Sanibel Island beaches in Hawaii.

My faves for soft sand, gentle seas (at least sometime): Poipu Beach Park on Kauai, Napili or Kapalua in West Maui, the area just S of the Black Rock on Kaanapali on Maui, Po'olenalena in south Maui, "Mauna Kea" or Hapuna on Big Island.

Re the beer - best to bring your own. There aren't any funky beach shacks like on some Caribbean Islands selling buck fifty beers. All the places you could buy a beer at or near a beach would be bars operated by the hotels. Expect four or five bucks a beer ("if you must ask about the price, you cannot afford it" - like gasoline in Aspen).

HTH

It's so variable - a beach can be glassy smooth one day, rough as heck the next. And sea shells are kind of a tough thing to find. No Sanibel Island beaches in Hawaii.

My faves for soft sand, gentle seas (at least sometime): Poipu Beach Park on Kauai, Napili or Kapalua in West Maui, the area just S of the Black Rock on Kaanapali on Maui, Po'olenalena in south Maui, "Mauna Kea" or Hapuna on Big Island.

Re the beer - best to bring your own. There aren't any funky beach shacks like on some Caribbean Islands selling buck fifty beers. All the places you could buy a beer at or near a beach would be bars operated by the hotels. Expect four or five bucks a beer ("if you must ask about the price, you cannot afford it" - like gasoline in Aspen).

HTH

And do remember that is illegal to have alcoholic beverages on the beaches in Hawaii. Bummer, but they are pretty strict about it.

Iceangel: As you can imagine, this kind of question comes up constantly. You might want to do an advanced search on this forum only for "X beach" (X = name of port or island) and "best beach"; as well as for specific beach activities which interest you, such as "X swimming" etc.

As sceptic mentions, the beach conditions do vary daily and sea shells are not all that common. There are so many good beaches in Hawaii that it would take quite some effort to list them all. (You probably already know some of what you're looking for because you've been to Hawaii, so I assume you've been on at least some of the beaches.)

beachchick

Archived