Bioluminescence tour and nearly full moon?

kiffrig

Hi gang-

I've read soooo many good things about this tour in SJ and I would love to do it. The problem is that we are sailing in late June this year and I checked the moon calendar and the moon will be nearly full on the evening our ship is in SJ. Has anyone done this tour with a full moon or a nearly full moon? If so, were you able to see anything? I hate to spend the money on the tour if we aren't going to see the "glow" that everyone talks about. I've heard the moon really does affect what you see, so that is why I am asking. Does anyone remember what the moon conditions were when they went? I am particularly interested in hearing from people that did it with a large bright moon in the sky. Thank you for your help and your feedback. I appreciate it!

I am looking to do this March 2008, same issue almost full moon. I have waited years to do this and sping break=almost full moon. Want to go into 2 days early, rent a car and do the rain forrest and the biobay on Saturday before the ship leaves on Sunday.

If you do a Google search of Biobay Kayak companies they all say it's best when the moon is not visible,but if you HAVE to come during full moon don't let it put you off. Take a look at some of them,I just read one called golden-heron but there are many.

well the tour isint offered when there's a full moon , what they do is move you over to the evening kayak tour....

by the way if they haven't told you this , it s because it s same kayak tour except you get to see other things but no luminscence..

My Inlaws did this with an almost full moon (2 days before I think) and said it was a huge disappointment and a waste of money as they hardly saw anything. We're going in late May, I think 3 days before the full moon and are skipping it. Plus, we've seen some of the same stuff off of Catalina island before and at the aquarium so it just doesn't seem worth the $$.

Go to biobay.com and check the calendar. Don't miss the Bio Bay - it's AMAZING. We've been to PR many times, we do the bay every time. The best company is Island Kaying-Nestor Martinez is the owner. Rent a car in San Juan and drive out to meet them. It's a very easy drive and much less expensive than a ship tour. If you have a whole day in PR - the perfect day (IMHO) is hiking in the rainforest - swim under the waterfall, enjoy a local meal, then head to Las Cabezas to kayak -TONS OF FUN!!!

Thanks, Bogelbtk

I looked at the moon calendar. We arrive in PR March 21st. The ship sails on the 23rd. Both the 21st and 22nd have full moons. The ship gets back March 30th and the moon is half full that night. I am thinking we should get off the ship on Sunday and do just like you recommended rainforest followed by the bay. Then Fly out Monday and avoid all the rush on Sunday at the airport too. Where do you stay when you rent the car and do the bay? Do you stay in San Juan or closer to the bay? I really appreciate all your suggestions!

The later date looks great for bio bay. Just make sure the company you choose does Sunday tours. We always use Island Kayaking Tours - they do not operate on Sunday. Bio Bay is definately worth the extra few days stay if you can do it. We always stay at the El Conquistador-its a beautiful resort and since Wyndham no longer owns it, the prices have gone down dramatically. It's very close to Bio Bay.

They do seem very expensive now. Right after the management under Wyndham ended, the rates were really good- I'm not sure why they've gone up so much? We always rent from Charlies - we pick up at the location convenient to the Airport and drop off near the pier.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning. We were on AOS 5/6 sailing and were scheduled to do the Bio Bay at Fajardo on 5/13 with Ecoaction Tours. They canceled with no warning and cost us a hotel night & day of vacation in spite of my having referred 6 fellow cruisers to them. No response to repeated emails & phone calls when off the ship in San Juan. Flakes!

Archived