T-Mobile and Journey HELP ME PLEASE!

icecreammama

I am sailing on the maiden voyage of Journey. I need to keep in touch with family while I"m away. I called T-Mobile and signed up for international roaming.(no charge) I looked up cellular@sea and it has "coming soon" under Journey ship. Does anyone know if I will be able to use my cell phone on the Journey. I know I will be able to use it in Bermuda, I'm just concerned about sea days

If you are signed up for the maiden voyage, I would not bank on the cellul at sea service. It is possible they will have it up, but I have been keeping up with that company... they seem to do things on their schedule instead of a cruise lines schedule. You may get lucky and it will be there... but, you may be paying $7.00 a minute to use your cabin phone.

I am sailing on the maiden voyage of Journey. I need to keep in touch with family while I"m away. I called T-Mobile and signed up for international roaming.(no charge) I looked up cellular@sea and it has "coming soon" under Journey ship. Does anyone know if I will be able to use my cell phone on the Journey. I know I will be able to use it in Bermuda, I'm just concerned about sea days

Since it is the maiden voyage and none here will have been on her I suspect that you and others on that sailing will be the first ones who will be able to answer that question and many other questions about Journey!!! If I were you I would only count on e-mail as a means of contact while the ship is at sea.

Can you ask your agent to check with the cruise line...

Jan

I would not necessarily trust an answer from the cruise line on this question since it will be the maiden voyage. If she really needs to call on sea days there will at least be ship to shore. Or e-mail.

Hi everyone

Jan, I do not have a travel agent. Booked directly with Celebrity. Everytime I call them (which has been quite often lately), I get different answers. Some say there will be no service as of yet, other say definitely, and the most common answer is I don't know. As excited as we are for this cruise, I am a little nervous. Not a lot of information out there. No information on drydock. Must say this is the first time I'm vacationing and spending a lot of money and I'm still not sure about a lot of things. Sounds kind of foolish. But this is my first cruise with Celebrity and if it's anything like people review, I'm sure to have a great time. When I get back I will write a long review and talk about everything (good and bad). Everyone thanks for all your help. These boards are great. More advice here than with any TA. Happy SAiling

Just have a backup plan. Let your family know how to get intouch with you via the 800 number that makes a shore-to-ship call. I do that anyway so there is another way for family to call me in case there is an emergency.

I don't know of any cruise ship that currently has cell phone service on board while at sea (open ocean). Does anyone else? For that reason I am in doubt that Journey will be up and running but I could be wrong, I tend to view the glass half empty most of the time.

But even if there is no cell service while at sea, you will have email access which will put your mind at rest regarding family contact. Happy Sailing!

I think cells are a pain in the behind, especially when abused by passengers on ships.

It is a lot more polite to use the e-mail system, as well as ship to shore...even if its expensive.

Personally I wish that they would ban cells from sailings, as well as those annoying walkie talkie things....Its a vacation people! act like its one!

Dave:eek:

I think you're right, but when you need to have folks get ahold of you in an emergency they can't be beat.

I've already told my office, and the kids, that to get ahold of us on the ship it's going to be at least $3 a minute and they should only call in what could only be considered a dire emergency. Likewise, because of the cost, I won't be making any calls unless on shore.

Sailing to Bermuda you will only have 1 1/2 days at sea coming and going. If you can't stay out of contact for that long you'll probably have to pay the outrageous charges for service from the ship.

Archived