Packing - Carry-on question

mlpreston

Any liquid must follow the 3-1-1 rule. lipgloss but not lipstick, liquid makeup, hand cream, perfume, eye drops, etc. - anything dry can stay in makeup bag

Not eye drops! They are an exception, lubricants. Just have to tell them you have them. You can have a gallon zip lock bag full of eye drops and KY as long as you "declare it." I don't get. But, that is the rule.

Carry on rule for liquids and gels.

3 - No single container can have a capacity of more than 3 oz. And no you can't carry a half-full 6oz. container - the container size is limited to 3oz. You can usually get away with 100ml metric containers (about 3.25oz).

1 - 1 quart bag. All of your liquids must be placed into see-through, zip-up ONE quart bags.

1 - ONE bag per person. Bag must be outside of your luggage where it can be physically inspected if they so choose.

Thank you very much. I will make sure to follow the rules when I take my next flight.

So for flying...the meds have to be in original bottles and put into the carry on? Some of those bottles are so big...I had planned to have one container for the weeks worth of medication.

Your safest bet is to keep your medication in original containers with your name on the bottle. (I know people will say, how does TSA know that the pill in the bottle is for hypertension and not some other drug....well, they don't but do you want to take the chance of having your pills in a pill holder and them being taken away? I don't.)

If they are large bottles of pills you could just pack enough for the week in the large bottle and leave all the extras at home (this would save you on the weight of the items.)

Do you know if you have to put your meds. in a plastic bag in their original containers? Or is that the ship?

For liquid medicines (and baby's milk) if it does not fit into the one quart ziploc bag, you can still carry it on, but it must be declared to TSA.

"To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

• Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling;
  • All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening."

from http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

That reminds me of my last trip... we just went to a wedding that previous night and had a 6am flight the next morning so many of us stayed up all night and slept on the plane. Well, I along with 3 of my other friends still had our hair pinned up from the wedding... COUNTLESS bobby pins holding up hair up....

Needless to say, I completely didn't realize until I started approaching the XRAY machine. Yeah.. we definitely held up the group for quite some time. It was funny after the fact, lol.

This has been the best laugh of my day so far! And not laughing at you, but with you! I am sure it wasn't funny at the time, but you girls will never forget that flight or that wedding or the fun you had!

I could picture this one most definitly!

:p

Archived