Constellation does NOT have a dress code

AngelaC

The only time I saw people totally underdressed was on the Millenium TA in 2005. There was a couple returning to Prague after having lived in NYC for several years. He was a cabinet maker and I think was having trouble making ends meet. He and his lovely wife and cute son had very little in the way of clothes. I think they took the Transatlantic voyage because it was really cheap- you could go for less than $ 1000 per adult and their boy would have been about $ 500. 14 day with meals included. Meanwhile they were waiting for their belonging to be shipped back and that costs money and takes a couple weeks. I know that they didn't have money to buy formal clothes. They looked out of place but I got to know them well, since their son played with my son. They were really nice and people just turned a blind eye to their apparent financial problems.

Unfortuneately, the wife became gravely ill and racked up over $ 1000 in shipboard medical bills. I don't know how they paid for them.

Anyway, just like the couple from Prague, I think those that were inappropriate attire probably weren't able to afford new clothes and the cruise. Maybe we should have sympathy for them instead of looking down our noses.

I like the formality of Celebrity too and most people on board IMO look very nice at dinner.

It's funny. Before reading these threads (about threads!!!!....sorry, couldn't resist a good pun), I never would have noticed what others wore, unless of course, it was outstanding (either in a positive or negative way).

I don't recall ever noticing pax in jeans or cutoffs in the dining room. But...on our last cruise, I was surprised to see people on formal night exiting early seating and wearing "going to the mall" clothes. These were seniors, definitely not the rebellious type! I did not get the impression that they were the disrespectful type either. Why they dressed that way, I couldn't figure out. As I said, I was surprised.

Having said that, I would like to add that it did not ruin my evening. Why should it? I don't know these people. They may even be nice!!!

You talk about not dressing properly to a Black Tie event. We have had the opportunity to make a few of these and we have a couple of relatives who ARE rebellious and they ARE disrespectful and they DO want to make a statement and they didn't dress appropriately at all. But, being gracious hosts, we welcomed them with open arms and that was that.

Our next planned cruise will be 12 days to the fjords and beyond. We would like to extend that trip to 3 weeks. That means travel, maybe by train. I would not attempt that with the heavy luggage we have been taking. We must travel lighter. My DH and I were just discussing this and we are thinking of leaving his heavy tux and sports jacket at home. We have never eaten in the alternative dining, but have met people who seem to enjoy it. Also I think (I hope). the Century has a spa restaurant open for dinner (Does anyone know?). But...let me add, that NO WAY will we hide. We will enjoy the show and whatever else.

I realize that formal night is very important to some. But, the truth is that it is on the way out. As we can see, the more expensive lines (including Journey & Quest) are getting away from it. It is after all a vacation. People are more relaxed in Casual (not synonymous with sloppy) clothing. Also, the airline luggage restrictions are a contributing factor.

Whatever you wear, I wish you all Happy Cruising.

well, there's my "6 degrees of separation" - somebody on this thread was in the same room w/Bill Gates:D

What to wear whilst cruising will forever be a topic for chit chat and disagreement.

DH has a problem wearing a tie due to horrific car accident. Keep this in mind whenever you see a tie-less male, ok.

The cruiselines may "require" but as previously reported, some folks stretch just to be able to afford the cruise. IMHO, live and let live. I'll be there on formal night with my formal black, elegant gown. DH will be there in an open neck shirt and jacket (not formal, but any definition). But we'll be together, in love, and happy to be making a cruise memory. We are good tablemates, too, no matter how we may be attired.

Tolerance and Patience are virtues. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with CC:)

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with CC:)

I believe you can't have peace and be a critic at the same time.;)

It's conflicting points of view that keeps these "threads" going and going and...

well' date=' there's my "6 degrees of separation" - somebody on this thread was in the same room w/Bill Gates:D

What to wear whilst cruising will forever be a topic for chit chat and disagreement.

DH has a problem wearing a tie due to horrific car accident. Keep this in mind whenever you see a tie-less male, ok.

The cruiselines may "require" but as previously reported, some folks stretch just to be able to afford the cruise. IMHO, live and let live. I'll be there on formal night with my formal black, elegant gown. DH will be there in an open neck shirt and jacket (not formal, but any definition). But we'll be together, in love, and happy to be making a cruise memory. We are good tablemates, too, no matter how we may be attired.

Tolerance and Patience are virtues. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with CC:)

BUT, he won't be there in jeans, shorts, cutoffs or whatever...he is making the effort to conform with the spirit of traditonal cruising.

The formal nights are NOT "on their way out" as a natural progress. They are being pushed out by a increasingly rude and nose thumbing society. There are lines where the dress code is more casual why can't we have both?.. It seems some folks are determined to only be satisfied if they push their "casual style" on everyone, I guess it validates it for them. I personally think you will start seeing a backlash in this area just like you do in everything when it gets too much. I have seen people complain about the lack of dress quite a bit. QUEST will not have formal nights but other ships do, Oceania does country club casual (No formal line wide). there is something for everyone. Carnival is more lax in this area also. Calling people snobs because they want to vacation according to these rules is just not valid.

I also think that if you are "stretching" it to make ends meet taking a cruise, there are lot less expensive ways of vacationing (and don't they dress for church or a wedding? Bring some of those clothes.

I'm amused by posters who concoct a litany of broadsweeping reasons why those who do respect the evening dress code on X ships should excuse those who choose to ignore it. The irony is that the excuses they concoct are for people whom, by and large, they don't know and have never even met. I wonder if the defenders would be equally as generous regarding those who ignore no-smoking rules, chair hogging rules and a variety of other no-can-do rules which tick them off.

Hi

Fortunately I love to dress up and I feel very sorry for those who come to the dining room in the hope of making some sort of statement as the laugh is on them.

I just simply don't understand this statement. How many people do you think sit at home prior to a cruise deciding how best to thumb their noses at the cruise line for one or two dinners. I'm willing to bet that they don't even think about it-Simply pack what they have and plan on an enjoyable vacation. Furthermore, "the laugh is on them"?

I go on a cruise to enjoy myself, not be mean spirited to others.

The formal nights are NOT "on their way out" as a natural progress. They are being pushed out by a increasingly rude and nose thumbing society.

Now how do you think natural progression works?

I believe it is because some people decide to thumb their nose at the societal norms and decide that old fashioned rules are just that, old fashioned and without meaning or purpose.

As more people begin to agree with the sentiment and decide to follow the new "rules", change occurs, naturally.

Doing things that have always been done, because it has always been done would be stagnation.

Cheers,

Peter

While perusing through this thread, I remembered something a friend had told me recently. We grew up in a very upscale community on the North Shore of Long Island where everyone dressed very elegantly for temple during the high holy days. I never thought much about it until this childhoold friend gave me a different perspective on the subject since she now lives in an area that is much more economically diverse. She said that if anyone at her temple dressed the way we did during our youth, it would be considered inappropriate because people who couldn't afford to buy such elegant clothes would feel so awkward that might not want to go to temple.

In some ways I think this applies to cruises, as well, because the population on a cruise is usually more diverse than what one normally experiences within their circle of friends in the real world. While I think it is very important to observe a dress code for every situation, that is different than creating an environment that might make a fellow passenger feel uncomfortable.

I can certainly understand this reasoning for church or temple, but the passengers on a cruiseship have already managed to scrape together enough money to afford the cruisefare.

As has been pointed out in the past, there are many inexpensive options available to those who wish to comply with the dress code.

We have heard all kinds of excuses and reasons......

But at the end of the day, no matter what we do say or try to influence; the CRUISELINE sets the rules it wants it passengers to follow, the passenger does not and does not have a right to dictate the rules.

For those who choose a ship or line for the Itinerary, or time frame. Thats great, but unfortunately just because you like the ports or the cruise fits into your schedule does NOT give you a right to disrespect the requests of the line because you don't like them. You have many choices. 1. Follow the rules of the Main diningroom and suck it up. 2. take advantage of the alternative dining options the ship offers those who do not want to participate, and ENJOY your ports or schedule. 3. Simply choose a different line and alter your schedule to fit your dresscode preferences.

Now it seems to me that #2 is the middle line that can be followed easily. So I don't see any problem a reasonable person from any demographic would have.

Now the OTHER issue. Enforcement. How childish and disrespectful for those who say " if the lines don't enforce it, I won't comply". Once again this crosses all demographics, so it is NOT a money or social class issue. It is however an etiquette, integrity and respect issue. You are given MANY choices from the start. PORTS, SCHEDULES, LINES, SHIPS....and most if not all of these lines acknowledge that not every one wants to dress accordingly. So they POLITELY offer ALTERNATIVE venues. If thats not a BIG clue, then I feel sorry for the passengers that don't comply beacuse either they have been raised by wolves, live under a rock, or just are simply rude and inconsiderate and undeserving of even having the opportunity to cruise. Just what kind of a human being are you that feels they must break the rules because they are not strictly enforced? I hope these kind of people don't have kids, if they do maybe thats why our prisons are so full. Not because of dress codes:D , but because of lack of respect for any authority and rules that are asked to be adheared to. If we can get away with these things, lets try and get away with more !

Or just maybe the cruise lines simply think to highly of its passengers knowing they are adults and can follow simple rules. This might be a new concept to some.

JCdeck : I believe the girls wore 'flop flop type shoes, which shows their parents lack of ettiquette, they were not cheap, but inappropriately casual.

SusieV: I agree completely. I remember when a jacket and tie was required or you didn't eat, unless it was room service. They didn't have alternative dining options years ago.

Rebeccalouise: " Maybe we should have sympathy for them instead of looking down our noses.". This has nothing to do with compliance. They were NOT going to starve by eating room service or casual dining.

Emjakes bubbie: "DH has a problem wearing a tie due to horrific car accident. Keep this in mind whenever you see a tie-less male, ok."

Having to deviate from a dress code because of a true medical ailment, or condition HAS NOTHINGto do with simply choosing not to dress per code. But it is a good point. Thanks.

Peterv: I believe your wrong. We live in mostly a democratic world, where companies can set their own policies and practices. The true decision is up to the stockholders and board. I for one would cast my vote infavor of not only enforcing the code, but eliminating casual venues so if you don't dress you don't eat. The correct way is NOT to violate the codes, but to express to corporate your thoughts and desires to have them change policy. It is NOT your place or your right to decide to do it on your own.

Sky Sweet: I don't really think your point applies to cruises. Cruises are luxury VACATIONS that people choose to take based on time, frame, price, ports, and lines. They have many choices to consider. Most towns and or communities have temples or churches that are convenient and deep rooted. If a person does have a problem wth the rules they usually travel to a place or faith that suits them better. THey just don't walk in and decided to change the rules because they feel they don't pertain to them.

Dave:eek:

Now how do you think natural progression works?

I believe it is because some people decide to thumb their nose at the societal norms and decide that old fashioned rules are just that, old fashioned and without meaning or purpose.

As more people begin to agree with the sentiment and decide to follow the new "rules", change occurs, naturally.

Doing things that have always been done, because it has always been done would be stagnation.

Cheers,

Peter

As far as I'm reading in the Celebrity cruise brochure, the rules are the same as they always have been, nothing has changed as far as he rules are concerned. I can't imagine why anyone would decide to not abide bye them. There are cruise lines with the rules they way other people want them. There are ships that don't have dress codes. I personally want a ship that has a dress code, that's part of what I pay for, I don't go on the ships that don't have them....I leave those ships to the folks who want what they have to offer.

One of my children wanted to go to a certain Parochial high school, I said OK you can go if that's what you want.... She didn't like the uniform...either wear the uniform or go to another school.... simple! She wore the uniform because that's were she wanted to go.

if I had to just get by or Scrape" to take a cruise I would re-evaluate my financial priorites and invest that money elsewhere, the most economical of cruises is not cheap.

Bububr, thanks for bringing some reason and sanity to this never-ending debate. You're absolutely right - it's an issue of etiquette, integrity and respect - not to mention selfishness, arrogance and a sorely misplaced sense of entitlement on the part of those who thumb their noses at the cruise line's request. IMHO, the ongoing debate says infinitly more about those who ignore the dress code and those who defend them, than it does about those who simply wish their fellow passengers would make some effort, albeit minimum, to comply.

To repeat something I posted earlier - you have to wonder whether those who ignore the dress code and their staunch defenders would be equally as generous regarding those who ignore no-smoking rules, chair hogging rules and/or a variety of other no-can-do rules which tick THEM off. I doubt it.

bububr, What a great post! It says what a great number of us feel, but folks are right - This will continue to be discussed forever. I for one feel that those few people who choose to thumb their noses at the dress code are the very people who who could benefit the most by a little "clean up and dress up". The same 2% exist in all areas of our society and they just don't get it. Enough said!

Archived