Another Tip Question...

I called Carnival just a couple days ago and asked if room service tips were included in my pre paid tips. She said they were, but I could give a little something if I wanted to.

Unfortunately, you got a ditz on the phone. On Carnival, room service tips have never been included in the other tips. Your auto tips include the cabin steward and wait staff in the dining room. (Cabin stewards don't deliver food.)

I'm usually a solo cruiser, and I tip $1 for coffee/Danish or croissants only, and $2 for larger orders. (I also give the delivery person a mini bag of M&Ms...big smiles!):)

• 1 month later...

Wow. M&M's! You do realize these ppl arent prisoners, they get out and I'll bet on payday they can get the regular size bag! I'll bet after the buck and mini M&M bag your bathroom gets cleaned extra well...with your toothbrush!

That is why they are ALL smiling. These ppl don't want candy, trinkets and a lock of your 1st born baby's hair, they work for $$ the same way you do.

What's wrong with you?

I pre-pay all my tips before leaving home. I also give my steward and waiter extra $$ the last evening of the cruise. The other I do just as a little happy. Geez.

Too bad you have to look at the downside of everything. I hope your outlook gets better and you can be happy one day.

Tbh, when I read your comment about giving out mini bags of M&Ms, I worried that could be taken as a rather condescending guesture by the wait staff. But the response from kiwi was way too harsh.

mithterkev - The Carnival rep I spoke to when booking my cruise told me the same thing. With everyone on here saying that we should tip for room service, I plan to do so but it's interesting that they would say that over the phone.

His exact words were, "The room service staff does not expect any tips." I had my doubts though.

We always tip $2.00 to our room service person to deliver a pot of hot coffee to our room each morning. It is generally the same person for the 12 -14 days. And it is NOT the room steward. This is on Celebrity or Oceana.

I've never worked on a cruise ship, but I did work as a waitress in my early adulthood. Believe me, when on my feet hustling for hours a day, with little time to stop for a breather, anyone who added a bit of chocolate along with an appropriate cash tip would have been my favorite customer of the day.

I say: Well done, Cotton! :)

Thx, Focat, I appreciate that.:) I'm a retired chef from N.O., and before that I was F&B Director for hotels....so I know what you mean. My staff loved getting any lagniappe from their customers. I think it's all in one's outlook - and obviously some folks just expect the worst. Sad.

For the others - The cabin steward already knows that I have pre-paid my tips (they get lists), and he also knows this is just a little extra 'happy' every day. How can a little thing like that be misconstrued?:rolleyes:

My staff loved getting any lagniappe from their customers. I think it's all in one's outlook - and obviously some folks just expect the worst. Sad.

For the others - The cabin steward already knows that I have pre-paid my tips (they get lists), and he also knows this is just a little extra 'happy' every day. How can a little thing like that be misconstrued?:rolleyes:

lagniappe - what a delicious word!

Thanx for a GREAT idea Cotton! Not everyone has such a sour outlook on life, so I have no doubt the M&Ms give room svc personnel a giggle - ESPECIALLY since you aren't stiffing them tip-wise. (??Do you suppose the process of cruising helps to de-sour dispositions showing so frequently in an individual's post?? Sad.)

Again, thanx for a fun idea Cotton, I'll pick up some candy myself to take along. I saw that a couple of other people mentioned taking candy along in their take along tips.

• 4 months later...
Unfortunately, you got a ditz on the phone. On Carnival, room service tips have never been included in the other tips. Your auto tips include the cabin steward and wait staff in the dining room. (Cabin stewards don't deliver food.)

I'm usually a solo cruiser, and I tip $1 for coffee/Danish or croissants only, and $2 for larger orders. (I also give the delivery person a mini bag of M&Ms...big smiles!):)

I love the chocolate with the cash tip idea!! I have never given anyone chocolate and not recieved a warm smile.

His exact words were, "The room service staff does not expect any tips." I had my doubts though.

Expect and Want are two different things!

It sounds like they do not "expect" tips. So I don't think anyone will throw you overboard for not tipping. I'm sure they all WANT tips however.

I definetly plan to give $1 or $2 to room service!

Two thoughts (even though I never get room service):

1. How many times have you had grocery baggers help you carry your stuff to the car and there are signs saying "Tipping Not Allowed"? However, the guys really do want and expect a tip, I imagine.

2. Sure the cruise staff can buy their own chocolate when they are in port, but these folks often don't spend their money on themselves. They send it home to their families. A little treat would be nice for them, I think. Very nice thought.

When you have room service delivered, do you tip the person who brings the food to your door or is that included with your waiter or cabin steward tips?

Do answer your question, YES we do the tip room server and NO they are not included in the tips automatically given and shared by our waiters or room stewards.

I live in Louisiana too and what that person is giving to her/his server is called Lagniappe meaning "a little extra". A little extra goes a long way.

Archived