How old for a pullman bed?

Balieyes

I think a lot depends on your child's sleeping habits. We had a pullman on one of our cruises when my son was 3. He was so excited until I told him he couldn't sleep up there. He is very antsy when he sleeps and I just knew he would be off the end in no time.

We compromised and let him take his nap up there where we could watch and nudge him back if needed.

there is a small railing along the side, but nothing at the ends.

What exactly is a Pullman bed? We are cruising in a couple of months and that is what my kids will be sleeping on. I just assumed it was a sleeper sofa.

Sherry

A pullman is a bed like on a train that come down from the wall. It is very secure. I read somewhere they had a 250 lb weight limit. There is a small side rail, a ladder, no end bar. A child that scooted down in the bed could come out at the bottom. I think if you would allow an upper bunk at home, it would be OK. But it is NOT a sofa bed.

THIS is a Carnival pullman bed. On Disney, there was a rail...not a big one but still a rail.

And when did I allow my kids...I haven't...lol. My oldest is 7 and I STILL haven't allowed her to sleep on one. She just moves around too much. On our last cruise, my 3 year old kept falling out of the REGULAR bed...so I was not going to risk the pullman. I don't know how many times I picked her up off the floor...and that never happens at home. ;)

sensationcabin-2.jpg

Great question -

I am very tempted by the pullman bed because my children have always (and I mean from day one) slept in their own beds. On this cruise, my youngest will still be in a pack n play, but by next year when we are planning an extended family cruise, he will not.

I’m weighing the pros and cons of the pullman v. the sofabed. I think there will be a lot of sleep lost in the sofa bed, because my children have never slept in a bed with someone else before. I also think the pullman mattresses are more comfortable than any sofabed mattress could ever be. The huge con for the pullman is the fact that it is up in the air and the more pictures I see on cruise critic, the more I realize that NOT having a rail is more common than having a rail.

I also read on the RCCL board that, while they do not restrict the bookings, there are signs on/near the pullmans that say, not for use by a child under the age of 6. That said, there were other posters who said their younger children were fine with the pullman.

I got a catalog in the mail the other day and saw this portable bed rail - it’s actually inflatable - so easily packable. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6780&cmSource=Search

My children don’t move much in their sleep, and I think this would aid my confidence in allowing them to sleep up high.

We probably will go with the pullmans - worst case scenario, my husband and I sleep up top and the kids sleep below. I mean with 4 in a room, there’s not much going on that we’d need a double bed for anyway ;-)

• 3 months later...

there doesnt seem to be a railing at all in those pictures. We are leaving on Monday and I just dont know where the boys should sleep, being 5 and 2, I dont think I want them up on those beds at all.

My 5 yr. old had no problem staying on her bed. She took turns with her 9 yr. old brother sleeping in it. I think it all depends on the child. I bet you could ask for safety rails from Carnival. We didn't have a need for them. My oldest started sleeping in the top bunk at age 4, but it had rails. (He's 15 now)

We were wondering whether to put our kids in the pullmans---they are almost 7 and 4. My son would definitely be ok, but we are not sure about the little one.

We are leaving in about two weeks. I wish I knew if they were safe enough for the kids. If they fall off, what will they hit??? :eek:

Archived