Journey Drydock

long_shot45

Thank you so much for posting the progress report on Journey. The videos were very interesting, but unfortunately were a bit tough for distinguishing the conversation above the background noise.....but I caught most everything. And it's clear you were having a blast!!!

We'll be on Journey in October for the 14-day repo (not far from that hole in the fence on Deck 8)....did you get my e-mail with the answer to your trivia question?

Best

Cabo (Gary)

Thank you so much for posting the progress report on Journey. The videos were very interesting, but unfortunately were a bit tough for distinguishing the conversation above the background noise.....but I caught most everything. And it's clear you were having a blast!!!

We'll be on Journey in October for the 14-day repo (not far from that hole in the fence on Deck 8)....did you get my e-mail with the answer to your trivia question?

Best

Cabo (Gary)

She has a winner -- First 3 were incorrect the 4TH one in won and I was 5 min. behind her -- It was the hole in 8088 PH window (top left) so they could move things in to ship. I shouldn't have taken time to tell my cruise friends where the pictures where -- Oh well I didn't need a T shirt anyway.

Ray

Carolyn, thanks for the great article. It certainly has us more excited than ever about our upcoming Oct 27th cruise. Thanks to Cruise Critic for this breaking info. Job well done! :)

I 'm sure that in the coming weeks Cruise Critic will be the channel that will have the breaking news on Journey as many CC folks will soon take the maiden voyage under the celebrity banner and we look forward with anticipation to the feedback from CC cruisers on board.

Thanks again

jumponboard

The cruise critic feature for Journey was great! We sail with 6 other family adult members on the June 23rd cruise. We are so excited. It will be our 5th trip to Bermuda and we love the port stops. We are awaiting to hear the reviews of all of the early cruisers. Have fun and bon Voyage!:)

PS I was wrong about the dining times below. It's 6 - 9:30 p.m. Sorry!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

...but from 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

That's not too late....

We'll be offering all sorts of details in our Closer Look...now have to go back to it so we can finish -- and launch it!

Also, once you've read it if you still have questions, feel free to drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com. I'll do my best to offer answers.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Gosh, I haven't a clue. But drop a note to Dan@cruisecritic.com, tell him I suggested you do so and ask if it's possible. Thanks for the nice words.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Carolyn- Great pictures and article. It is making me even more excited about our 10/13 sailing. Is it possible to upload the high quality pictures that you took to the website?

Hi. Yeah, the video audio wasn't great and didn't really add much but I thought it was fun just to give the ambience. We're still in early stages on the video concept and hopefully practice will make us better, LOL.

Yes, the trivia question was won ... by SueClark. I was amazed that literally minutes after the story went up the answers started coming in. Y'all are quick! The answer: Cabin 8088's balcony was cut away to allow for transferring new suite bathroom units from shore to ship, via crane.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Best

Cabo (Gary)

Thanks for posting about the only new information I have found on the Journey!! We are looking forward to trying a new line and a new type of cruise experience!

We are on the October 6 Bermuda sailing and have the last two balcony cabins on the starboard side. Were you able to get any impressions of the standard balcony cabins in terms of size or decor?

It seems amazing that the ship will be ready in a very short time.

Maureen

The reason some of us are concerned about the kids programs is that we were originally booked on the Zenith and then switched to the Journey. We were ensured that there will be kids programs so that is why we did not cancel. It is now too late to book another cruise with the accomodations that we desire. If Celebrity had been upfront with our concerns back when they did the switch we would have cancelled and went on another kid friendly cruise.

I totally hear you on this -- and you are right.... Celebrity should have been clear. Not apologizing for them -- and frankly think they need to make good on this issue (either move folks to other ships or put on a couple counselors for the Bermuda sailings). For those traveling without kids, I suspect the experience on Celebrity Journey, particularly once the Bermuda obligation is completed, will be special. On the other hand, those with kids will have to make do.

But here's my question and forgive me for asking it and yes, my husband and I don't have kids (though we both brought nieces, nephews, and godchildren to our marriage and I have traveled with all and sundry). Is it so awful that kids don't have a camp for the two days they are at sea? Is it so awful that they might have to rely on own devices (books, iPods, imagination, hanging out with --sacrilege -- their family) to survive the two days?

I don't really understand ... how that can be so difficult. I grew up traveling all over the U.S. with my family (parents, four other siblings) and we didn't have kids programs and such. We managed to survive:)

The other five days of course can be filled with activity in Bermuda.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

The reason some of us are concerned about the kids programs is that we were originally booked on the Zenith and then switched to the Journey. We were ensured that there will be kids programs so that is why we did not cancel. It is now too late to book another cruise with the accomodations that we desire. If Celebrity had been upfront with our concerns back when they did the switch we would have cancelled and went on another kid friendly cruise.

FYI, last summer we cruised to Alaska with our married children and their children - 5 kids (age range 7-14). The kids tried the Kids Club for one or two days and then found that they thoroughly enjoyed each other (cousins) and some other children that they met onboard. The early teens went to a few teen activities but opted out of most of them and enjoyed playing trivia, and, of all things, shuffle board, with each other and the adults. They also, on their own borrowed a Scrabble board from Guest Relations and teamed up (young with a bit older) and enjoyed several hours of board games. My point is that they had a blast and didn't need the kids club to do it.

I, too, understand your disappointment, but I'll bet it will be a good trip for everyone!

I here all of you about the kids making their own fun. This is what our group has decided to do. It's just a disappointment to some of the kids who have cruised before and know what was available to them. When they have organized activities it is a way for the kids to meet other on board. We have decided to bring some of our own games and plan to do whatever is available to them. My frustration is mostly with Celebrity because they were not upfront with us at the time when we were switched and we would have booked with another cruise line.

Hi, Maureen. Aside from the photo we showed -- with a taupe kind of nylon headboard material (apparently more sanitary, how romantic is that, LOL) the cabins weren't even touched at the time I visited. So we're both curious. Those hideous cots and army blankets will be gone....

From my experience on the R-class ships, I will say that standard cabins are on the small side. They're small. The balconies are a necessary accouterment, LOL, especially if you're traveling with DH. They give you an extra room.

That's the biggest downside of the R-series ships.

On the other hand, if you can book a suite, this is the time to do it. I've cruised both in standard balconies (once for two weeks, I got used to it) and in suites (never the best suite, always what was called the B Suite but the B is fantastic, just perfect, about a cabin and a half wide, with a bathroom with tub). Tub's important to me. So on this ship I'd splurge. Whether you cruise with Oceania, Princess or Celebrity. I'd splurge. But you may not feel that necessary.

Definitely the addition of mini-fridge and flat screen -- that's a step up from Oceania which otherwise has updated these ships quite beautifully. The butler concept...think it'll undergo some tweaking between concept and execution (my way of saying I think Celebrity's concept is not necessarily workable).

I will be touring the ship on Friday so please, please, send me any questions to my email address (and put May 4 - Journey) in subject line.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Thanks for posting about the only new information I have found on the Journey!! We are looking forward to trying a new line and a new type of cruise experience!

We are on the October 6 Bermuda sailing and have the last two balcony cabins on the starboard side. Were you able to get any impressions of the standard balcony cabins in terms of size or decor?

It seems amazing that the ship will be ready in a very short time.

Maureen

Carolyn,

I'm a dummy and can't figure out how to email my Journey question so I'm hoping you are still checking this thread before Friday.

I'd like to know if Celebrity removed the self-laundry room on Deck Seven. It was there as a Ren ship and it would be nice to know if you can count on doing your own laundry if necessary. Thanks!

All the information you provided is greatly appreciated. We are so happy we booked a sky suite which is one of the new ones that were installed on deck 8. Looking forward to hearing the impressions of the inaugural cruisers.

I felt guilty. Sue (the winner, a friend of Ray's) felt guilty. So we had two winners, LOL.

Your excitement about this ship, added to my own, is just wonderful and inspiring.

Carolyn

She has a winner -- First 3 were incorrect the 4TH one in won and I was 5 min. behind her -- It was the hole in 8088 PH window (top left) so they could move things in to ship. I shouldn't have taken time to tell my cruise friends where the pictures where -- Oh well I didn't need a T shirt anyway.

Ray

Have to say that there are times when a standard balcony cabin is just wonderful.

But on these ships it's particuarly worth the investment to suite level because the standards are, frankly, small. Royal Caribbean-older-ship-small. I spent two weeks in a standard balcony cabin on the one-time R-series Swan Hellenic's Minerva II (now Royal Princess) and I was ALONE and at the end it was too small. That's small, LOL.

Now for the normal cruise with spouse or pal, when you're both busy going this way and that...small doesn't matter so much. But on a longer trip, when you need some down time, it does matter. And for me a bathtub (vs. tiny, miniscule horrific shower, LOL) really does make a difference.

So on any R-series ship, whatever the line, I, personally, would pay the extra dosh for more space. But that's just me.

Carolyn

All the information you provided is greatly appreciated. We are so happy we booked a sky suite which is one of the new ones that were installed on deck 8. Looking forward to hearing the impressions of the inaugural cruisers.

Archived