Any Gastric Bypass Cruisers?

PammyHound

Pammy tell your friend to go to obesityhelp and there is a VBG forum there, also I did a ton of research before hand. In many ways it is like a bypass but in many ways it is soo different. I have had to learn to really watch my eating and slow down a lot. One bite can be one bite too many and then look out cause it is not going to stay down. You have to learn the limit. Ill be happy to answer any questions she has if you want to give her my email. Just let me know.

I know I took a long time and a lot of research to come to the point of having surgery and a lot of folks think it is the easy way out. I kept a journal over the first few months. This has to be by fartherest the hardest "diet" I have ever done. There is no going back. There is no binging. There are so many risks and the emotional part is not a lot of fun either. I am doing ok now but Im 4 months post op. I still have a hard time with stress and have food issues if Im too stressed. I still eat a lot of soup. I would do it all again because for the first time in my life I dont feel that food controls me.

For the most part the eating doesn't bother me but there are times I just feel like eating and I get sad when it's over so quickly. Or I think how great it would be to go out and enjoy a nice meal and I get down and think...why bother, I can only have few bites, may as well stay home and have a piece of toast or something equally as boring. Sorry, today I'm just discouraged and feeling sad.

I go out when I want. I enjoy those few bites so much. My hubby will order a steak or whatever and I will just eat some of his. I love going to Souper Salad.

I miss being able to sit down and eat a hamburger.. You know just chow down on a Big Mac. I dont really get sad about not being able to eat but sometimes I sure miss it. I can finally eat a whole slice, very small one, of pizza, thin crust. I have to eat half of it and then wait like an hour and eat a little more. It takes me long time but I enjoy every bite. I am just not being able to tolerate bread of any kind, and a little pasta.

Eat those few bites and enjoy every last bit of it. Dont worry that you cant eat much, just take your time and enjoy it to the fullest!

Pammy, Try not to get too discouraged! And remember, we are here for you. I know when I was losing it seemed soooo slow. But now, looking back, I can't believe as much came off as fast as it did. It really won't be long until you can eat almost anything, and a more normal sized portion, too. (Then you might not think its so great LOL) It is so funny - when i was still big, the waiters would just have a fit because I didn't eat much. Now, no one blinks any eye when I ask for a doggy bag. Try to be patient, and believe me I know that is the hardest part. USE this time to change your eating habits - that is the best piece of advice I ever got so I am passing it on. Love and Hugs, Sheryl

I had it on May 5 and so far I am 83 down. Actually since Jan 04 I am 100 down today. I havent been on a cruise since my surgery. I wonder if I will feel like I am not getting my moneys worth because I cant eat like I used to. Very little fills me up or else I get sick etc. Plus, I can not drink alcoholic drinks anymore which I really enjoyed on previous cruises. The reason I did the surgery was I had 4 co-morbidities - morbid obesity, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and diabetes. I am now off all my medicines and insulin but still on the CPAP. I feel a lot better already - exercise, walk, swim etc. For anyone who feels like they had enough of dieting with only to gain back all they lost and more, I would recommend this surgery. YES - there are chances of complications and even death - but for me it was the right choice.

I applaud anyone who has had this surgery and the success stories. One of my oldest and dearest friends had this surgery done about 2 years ago. Doctors had basically told her that she would die without the surgery. She's 5'-2" and went from 374 to 120 in a little less than a year. She has had a hard time getting her weight stabilized the past year and had dipped down to as low as 114. They made her gain back up to about 124 last I heard because they told her that she would probably lose 25 lbs. worth of skin alone when they did the plastic surgeries. Apparently she has got her weight under control enough now because she told me recently that they are starting to schedule all of her plastic surgeries now (tummy tick, lipo, breast reduction, etc.).

We went on a cruise last September and it was my friend's first cruise. As far as food went, she kept within her limitations and never complained nor had any regrets about the cruise experience. She was real self-conscious about wearing a bathing suit at first but I convinced her that she shouldn't worry about what people think because she would never see any of those people again. She put her fears behind her and had a blast on the cruise!

She was real self-conscious about wearing a bathing suit at first but I convinced her that she shouldn't worry about what people think because she would never see any of those people again. She put her fears behind her and had a blast on the cruise!

THANK YOU so much for saying that! I haven't had gastric bypass, but have to lose 80 pounds and want to do it by the end of March 2005. I have lost 15 pounds so far this past month so only have 65 more to go. But what you said really made sense about not caring what people think and just having a good time! I'm am trying my darndest to get to my goal by the cruise so that I can be comfortable with myself and not be a bystander... I want to be a participator! Spent too much time on the side lines because I was "too fat" (in my eyes)

Thanks again! I will have fun regardless wheather I meet my goal or not.

Jean

Pammyhound, on our cruise last September, the waiters would think that my friend didn't like the food or something was wrong with it. She would just find a polite way to tell them that she was full or just explain that she was a slow eater.

I could stand to lose 50 lbs. myself and have started to take some measures to do so. February is still a few months away.

THANK YOU so much for saying that! I haven't had gastric bypass, but have to lose 80 pounds and want to do it by the end of March 2005. I have lost 15 pounds so far this past month so only have 65 more to go. But what you said really made sense about not caring what people think and just having a good time! I'm am trying my darndest to get to my goal by the cruise so that I can be comfortable with myself and not be a bystander... I want to be a participator! Spent too much time on the side lines because I was "too fat" (in my eyes)

Thanks again! I will have fun regardless wheather I meet my goal or not.

Jean

Jean,

I weigh just over 200 pounds now and have several huge scars on my stomach from surgeries related to my crohn's so Wearing a bathing suit bares alot for me. However, I've decided in the past year that I'm going to wear what makes me comfortable and to heck with other people. I went topless on the beach in Jamaica :eek: last year and wore a 2 piece suit with a bikini top for our cruise and all summer in our pool. My theory is that if people don't want to see my scars or fat rolls they can drive down another road! :D

It's all in the attitude!

Tami

I've decided in the past year that I'm going to wear what makes me comfortable and to heck with other people. I went topless on the beach in Jamaica :eek: last year and wore a 2 piece suit with a bikini top for our cruise and all summer in our pool. My theory is that if people don't want to see my scars or fat rolls they can drive down another road! :D It's all in the attitude!

Tami

Tami,

I admire your attitude! I wish I was in that place too! I tend to try to cover up and I really don't know why!? I'm just uncomfortable in the body I have now. I know I shouldn't worry about what other people "think" and other people probably don't really care... but it's a hard thing to change my way of thinking I guess. I know things will get better as I continue to lose.

Thanks again though for opening my eyes!

Jean

Jean, some people just grow comfortable with themselves and I too admire that. But personally, I got sick of seeing myself fat too. I don't wanna see myself so why would I expect others to find it appealing? When I was in my early 30's I started excepting the fact that I was "meant" to be fat and boy did I ever gain the weight even more! Now I'm about a year and a half from turning 40 and I just don't except it anymore! I don't have to be fat, sometimes we have a choice but often times it's hard to admit that we are making a choice to be fat.

I'm not saying that I have accepted being fat in any way. I've already lost 30 of the 90 I want to lose but I still have a long way to go. I just decided that in many instances (the gym, the pool, the beach) that my comfort was more important than some person I'd never see again. It takes a long while to get there though.

Tami

Pammy,

I was in that same place a few months ago. I was just going to accept that I was fat because I just plain liked to eat too much to give in. Well, I'm glad I snapped out of that! Using an over-used slogan, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." And that is true. I've been everywhere from 108 to 225 over the past 20 years. I never expect to be 108 again, but boy I looked good back then and was more than comfortable with myself!

Tami~ I've spent way too much time on the side lines worrying about what others may think instead of just having fun and I'm hoping to change that! This upcoming cruise is great incentive. Planning on snokeling and all sorts of things I may have avoided.

Well, let's return this to the gastric by-passers. Seems we've gotten a little away from that!

Have a great day everyone!

Jean

Nancy~ So you're pregnant?! Congratulations! I was just talking to someone today about pregnancy and gastric bypass. How is it that you and the baby get enough nutrition? Lots of vitamins? Just wondering how you deal with that.

A good friend of mine had the surgery 3 months ago today and is down 70 pounds. That is what got me interested in this thread. Thanks for letting me "lurk" and respond.

Best of luck to all of you "losers"... and I mean that in the most loving way!

Jean

I totaly agree, at somepoint you have to get off the sidelines and enjoy life. I went a few years without owning a swimsuit and one day I just say enough is enough and bought one! I honestly don't care what people think seeing me in it, but i just don't want to be like this for the rest of my life. I am now about 7 weeks post op and I haven't had one regret!

Jean,

I was infertile before the gastric bypass and now two pregnancies in two years (This is the LAST ONE!!!).. I eat often and take a chewable multi vit every day. This has been a tough one. I have been in the hospital for the last 6 weeks.. But we are at 31 weeks now and it's looking a lot better and I am thrilled. As I told others this board has absolutly saved me!! I cannot wait to cruise WITHOUT MY BOYS : ) I adore them beyond anything in the universe but I LOVE time with my husband.. We adopted the eldest then POOF!!! fertile 40 : )

Wow! God bless you Nancy! Pregnant at 40! I'm 41 and my daughters are 19 and 15. I can't imagine starting over again! Will keep you young though! Are you still in the hospital? Do you expect to go home before delivery? That must be hard. My prayers are with you for an uncomplicated remainder of your pregnancy. You deserve that cruise without the kids! Hope you are able to do that some time. I know what you mean about this board saving you... I've only been coming to Lose Before you Cruise for about 5 weeks. I had 80 pounds to lose and as of last Thursday, I was down 15. Hopefully at tomorrow's weigh in I'll be down a few more. People here are so supportive and understanding about the weight loss issue! This is what's kept me going for this long. I usually give up after a week. Not this time!

Take care!

Jean

Wow. 4 boys. I have two teenagers a 17 year old daughter and a 14 year old son and they are enough to drive me crazy some days. Congrats on your pregnancy and take it easy. I am 43 and I can't even imagine being pregnant again.

Pammy,

Glad to hear the scale went down for you. I bet you are happy. My scale didn't like me too well this morning. I think maybe it is stuck or something. lol.

I too give my leftovers to my husband which I know is wrong but he needs to learn how to say he dosen't want them. I keep telling him if he dosen't watch it he will need bypass surgery too.

I have also decided that I don't care what others think about the way I look too. I feel wonderful. I have lost 120 pounds and I still have a long way to go but I am trying to learn to feel proud of myself for getting as far as I have. I started taking a water aerobics class and until this time I would not wear a swimming suit around anyone I knew but now I am okay with it.

You all are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Sue

Thanks guys!

I have told hubby if he's not careful he's going to start packing on some unwanted pounds. He already complains about the extra 40 he gained after quitting smoking 4 years ago. He is only about 20lbs overweight now but we all know how quickly the pounds can sneak up on yoU!

Jean and Sue,

Well I sure don't FEEL 40.. not sure when that happened. I feel very young.. I run now. I was training for a marathon when I got pregnant and stuck on bedrest... Which is HORRIBLE when you finally get active cause of the weight loss.

I am STILL pregnant and STILL in the hospital. I am lucky and have internet access cause my husband is a network engineer here (I also get to eat with my husband every day which is nice). I hope to go home soon and plan to talk to my doctor about that this morning as a matter of fact. Next week I am 32 weeks and I can probably go home, *if* this baby stops trying to sneak out : )

Cruise now please.

Archived