Getting married in Vancouver

My partner and I are on an Alaskan cruise in June. We're flying in 6/22 and leaving on the cruise 6/23. We're going on this trip to celebrate our 5th anniversary since our Holy Union ceremony (since WI doesn't let us legally marry). We started talking about things and decided while we're there we'd get married again (legally. All our friends and family already consider us married). We talked to our TA and she got us a name of a marriage commisioner, and directed us to the website so we can find where to buy the license.

We're staying at the Westin Bayshore, across from Stanley park. The commissioner said she was willing to come just about where-ever to perform the ceremony. Any suggestions? We're leaning on Saturday morning, which I think would give us plenty of time (the Diamond embarks at 4:30). We don't want anything super fancy, as for us this more like a renewal of vows, with a bonus marriage certificate:) . I've heard Stanley park if beautiful, but I'm not familiar with city at all. If we use park, do we need a permit at all?

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

it might make a difference.

Stanley Park is beautiful. Queen Elizabeth Park is also beautiful, or the beaches are gorgeous too (both the west end & the west side (like kits area)

the westin bayshore also has beautiful grounds.

It's going to be just my partner and I, part of why at least I don't want anything too fancy. We've already been married once, so it's more like a renewal of vows. This started out as a trip to celebrate our 5th anniversary that has quickly spiraled outward (our cheap inside cabin on a cruise to Alaska is now a balcony with a cruisetour:) ).

We haven't mentioned to our family that we are planning on doing this, but I don't know if any of them would want to fly to Vancouver for the weekend. I've been wrong before though:o

dogdoc2002

You don't need a permit in the city parks if there are fewer than 50 people and you're not putting up tables and chairs.

Here's a site from the Vancouver Parks Board that gives you all kinds of info and some ideas of places you might like to use:

Wedding Ceremonies in Vancouver parks <-- click

I think the Rose Garden in Stanley Park would be nice; also Vanier Park at sunset (it overlooks the water); or the Nitobe Gardens at the University of BC (though you probably need to get permission as it's not part of the Parks Board).

Archived