Specific Info. on Celebrity's Berlin Excursions using the Train

We will be on the Constellation 14 night Baltics cruise beginning on June 30th. We are very much looking forward to our cruise and am trying to finalize details of our excursions. We are doing a mix of private tours, ship sponsored tours, and "on our own".

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken one of Celebrity's shore excursions into Berlin using the train.

I have been reading and even posted on another thread regarding using the trains into Berlin but none of the information was specific to Celebrity. Heinbloed (who is a wealth of information) posted that the trains used from Warnemunde into Berlin are usually the newer trains that are air-conditioned. However, Celebrity's shore excursion booklet says specifically that the train compartments are not air-conditioned. I am wondering if Celebrity charters a train that is older and not air-conditioned??

We are traveling with our two children ages 11 and 13 and my parents who are 76 and 77. They would like to go to Berlin, but I am concerned about the overall comfort of the train (both the seats and the temperature). We will be there on July 12th so I would assume that it could be rather warm.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken an excursion into Berlin using the train through Celebrity. Did you enjoy the excursion, how was the train trip, and was it worth it? It sounds like a very long day, particularly if the train is not comfortable.

Thank you,

Nancy

As nobody was responding and I do not know it myself I contacted a cruise-mate from the German cruise-forum who is working for the port agent.

He lets you know:

1. The reason why Celebrity is calling Pier 41 i/o Warnemünde is the availability of a railways access directly next to the ship.

2. Therefore they uses a charter train - but with the "oldest" party car without air-condition for their train excursion to Berlin.

3. There is a free-of-charge shuttle for Celebrity passengers to Rostock downtown.

Hope that his comments are helpful for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

While it's been three years since we did Celebrity's 14 day Baltic trip, I doubt much has changed. We did hear good things about the train travel and that it was not as bad as Celebrity made it sound. I'm sorry but I don't specifically recall about the air conditioning as it was raining and overcast when we arrived in Germany.

You might look into a private tour, we did. We had a group of 8. We put up a notice on the CC message boards and had one other couple join us. I don't recall the exact price but it was about $100.00 per person where I believe the ship was charging about $250 depending on the tour. There were only 10 of us and we were met at the pier in a private mini bus (could have held about 25). The driver did not speak english. On the outskirts of Berlin we stopped for a comfort break and picked up our english speaking guide. A charming young lady who did a great job. We had about a 4hour tour and then some free time on our own before the bus took us back to the pier. Here is what I had saved about the private tour:

"Here is a tip on the perfect Berlin sightseeing tour. The tour operator will pick you up in a limousine, van, or larger coach directly from the pier in Rostock. You drive to Berlin, a personal english speaking tour guide will board and accommpany you for a 4 hour tour including many stops at sights. After the tour you will have some time for shopping and they drive you back to Rostock. Have a wonderful Berlin tour."

Here is their website:

http://www.Berlin-sightseeing-tours.de

Archived