Upgrade Cabin for Wheelchair W/O Xtra $?

vesw01

We will be sailing on the Victory on 9/25 - at the time we booked they only a few handicap room left-all oceanview and out of our price range (rrom is for 4 ppl). I will be traveling with my grandmother (Carnical guests svcs knows this) who is in a wheelchair - is there someone I can talk to now or later that may be able to get us into the fully handicap without it costing me top dollar?

What do you do for a living - just out of curiousity - you seem to be able to answer all the posts - thought maybe you were a TA. A wheelchair cabin is $600 more than we are paying... way out of my price range....

LOL Ves, I own a systems integration company... far cry from the travel biz... I am a research queen and do alot of travel booking. Years ago I booked corporate travel and prizes, so that was what got me interested in cruising... been hooked ever since!!!

Sorry about the cabin... That is alot more money. Maybe the pricing will come down before you sail...

I'm surprised that Carnival will not upgrade you to the first available HC cabin since they can't accomodate you in the catagory you request. Perhaps they feel that since you're putting 4 people in the cabin you aren't as concerned about having enough space. JMHO.

The kids are 11 and 2 - and they can't be in a cabin by themselves and the 11 yr old and the wheelchair wouldn't make a great mix either

I just don't know who to contact to see if there is someone who can help. I am not trying to get something for free - I would take a "lower" cabin if avail - we are in a 4c

Ves, PLEASE do not take this the wrong way... I am just confused and typing this may come out wrong. First you had cabin 1296 (4a) and when your TA called to get a wheelchair room, she released that cabin and you got room 1402 (1a) then you were upset with that one and they she moved you to room 1410 and then to room 6336 (4C)... and now you want to be moved to a handicap cabin, but I thought your TA tried to get you in one of those in the first place? But then you said your TA was useless, but it sounds like she has done way more than most TA's ever have to do (again, don't mean this to sound mean) I'm just confused... You will have to pay to upgrade to a handicap room, just like anyone else that needs a handicap room... I suggest you either wait and see if the price lowers, or perhaps reconsider and move your date out so you can save some more money for all of these unexpected extras you have been running into... (I know it sounded mean, but really... it wasn't meant to!!!!)

First off we had a cabin assigned when she first did the booking - over the phone - that was a 4a - when I went in to the TA she said should would call Carnival about a wheelchair cabin - we never had a 1a - that cabin # was a mistake on my part. Sometime between the time I went in and two days later when she actually made full payment on the cruise our cabin assignment changed - per the TA it was when she called about the wheelchair cabin. At the time I made the booking with her there was supposed wheelchair rooms avail in our class. When she did the final payment (2 days later - b/c she didn't want to do it that night and had the next day off) we had somehow gotten moved to the back of the bottom level and the only wheelchair rooms avail were OV - out of my price range and we already booked our airline tickets. I decided that I might not enjoy that location and paid for the upgrade to a 4c.

I personally called guest services regarding a wheelchair cabin and they told me the cost and what was avail that would accomodate 4 ppl.

She has only called Carnival to book our trip, make final payment, called guest services 1 time and then to pay for the upgrade - all of which she was compensated for with my booking - she even made MORE money when I upgraded.

I had no idea about the fact that you book through a TA and you can't call Carnival myself anymore - I had called them to get everything in the first placed and ONLY used a local TA to keep the commission in my town and not in some other universe. My mistake.

I wish I could call Carnival and deal with the directly

AND if the TA's don't want to call on every ? a passenger may have then they shouldn't do the booking, because they know that the passenger can't call.

Our TA made a nice sum of money for 10 min worth of work - more than some make in 2 days working - the least they could do is try to help....

I know my mistake - one I wouldn't do again!

Sorry Ves, wasn't trying to offend... just trying to figure this out... you have had alot of trouble with the cabin issue.... You said you originally asked for a 4A Guarantee (which would not have guaranteed you a HC cabin) but your TA said that would not be helpful because this room was in a good location... then it was switched a couple of times... and she offered when you went back in to switch you to a guarantee or she could call everyday to see what was available, but you said you could not afford to go up to a handicap cabin... I did not realize you had paid for the next upgrade because you had said your "TA upgraded you", which made it sound like she had taken care of it... sorry for the misunderstanding... but then you said that your TA was only interested in making commission and not helping you upgrade, but it sounds like she DID try several times to help you upgrade, but you could not afford it.... She cannot help you get a free upgrade, she can only help you if you want to pay for one... so I am not sure why you don't think she has been helpful... I have never had a TA offer to call everyday to see what cabins are available...

Archived