ATV Adventure in Ocho Rios

redhead101

I'm looking for a atv adventure that I can book myself. I was checking the shore tours offered for Liberty on the 9-23-07 sailing but although this tour is shown on the regular drop down list, it is not listed for this specific cruise.

Thanks

Julie

We did ATVs in Ocho Rios! We used Wilderness Tours. They were FANTASTIC. Truly. We did their morning tour then went back to the ship for a quick bite to eat then met Marva Shaw in the afternoon for River Tubing. It was an unforgetable day.

Wilderness Tours picked us up at the ship and brought us right down the street to a place where we learned how to operate the ATVs. Then it was off to an exciting ride to the top of Murphy Hill. Absolutely STUNNING views all around. They gave us a cold drink, let us take a ton of pictures, told us about the history of the place we were at, we rested a bit then it was back down the hill. BTW, I use the term "hill" lightly. :D

We were back at the ship around 11:45 or so then met Marva at 1.

Like I said previously, it was an AMAZING day!

• 2 weeks later...
We did ATVs in Ocho Rios! We used Wilderness Tours. They were FANTASTIC. Truly. We did their morning tour then went back to the ship for a quick bite to eat then met Marva Shaw in the afternoon for River Tubing. It was an unforgetable day.

Wilderness Tours picked us up at the ship and brought us right down the street to a place where we learned how to operate the ATVs. Then it was off to an exciting ride to the top of Murphy Hill. Absolutely STUNNING views all around. They gave us a cold drink, let us take a ton of pictures, told us about the history of the place we were at, we rested a bit then it was back down the hill. BTW, I use the term "hill" lightly. :D

We were back at the ship around 11:45 or so then met Marva at 1.

Like I said previously, it was an AMAZING day!

Hi RIGirl,

I responded to anothe post of your that I saw regarding these excursions. I wouls love to do the same thing that you did... ATV in morning and Tubing in afternoon. In the other post that I did, I was wondering how much Marva charges for the tubing only. Now, I thought of two other questions: 1) What time did you get back to the ship after the tubing? 2) Would there have been enough time for you to go to Dunns river falls after the tubing as well? Did she offer that?

Thank you:)

Hi RIGirl,

I responded to anothe post of your that I saw regarding these excursions. I wouls love to do the same thing that you did... ATV in morning and Tubing in afternoon. In the other post that I did, I was wondering how much Marva charges for the tubing only. Now, I thought of two other questions: 1) What time did you get back to the ship after the tubing? 2) Would there have been enough time for you to go to Dunns river falls after the tubing as well? Did she offer that?

Thank you:)

I can't remember how much Marva charged for just tubing. I must be getting old. :rolleyes::D I had her meet us at 1 because Wilderness said they would have us back at the ship around 11:30 but I left some extra time in case they were more on Jamaican time (late). But, I think we were back at the ship right around 11:30 like they said, 11:45 at the latest. We ate lunch and then met Marva at 1. At least these are the times I'm remembering. I would email Marva and ask her if you would have enough time and email Wilderness and ask them what time you would be back at the ship. I think you would because I remember her asking if we wanted to do some shopping or something after we were done tubing but we were exhausted! We were so wiped we practically limped back to the ship. Granted, we ranged in age from mid-30s to mid/late 50s so we're not a bunch of 20-somethings but we're all in decent shape. But Marva will be able to tell you if it's even possible as far as time goes.

This was probably the best overall day of our trip. We did adventures at all ports we stopped at but this one took the cake. We are still laughing at us riding the ATVs!!

Sorry I didn't respond to your earlier post. I must have missed it.

Let me know how you make out.

Just thought of something else: Wilderness offers an ATV/Dunn's combo. Maybe you could price out doing the excursions both ways.

Which would be cheaper/time efficient?

ATV/Dunn's with Wilderness then tubing with Marva or ATV with Wilderness then Tubing/Dunn's with Marva.

RIGirl,

Thanks for all of the info. I have emailed Marva and was quoted $35 to do the tubing at 1:00 pm. Now, I am going to look at the wilderness atv website and compare what the costs would be of the options that you mentioned.

You say that you were too tired to do anything else after the tubing... would you consider the atv riding to be a labor intensive excursion? I am worried that I will be sore from it and will be uncomfortable for the remainder of the trip. Did you experience that?

Just one more question regarding the tubing... can you see through the water where Marva takes you tubing? In some photos, the water looks like a light green/blue that you can somewhat see through, and in other photos, it looks brown.

Thanks

RIGirl,

Thanks for all of the info. I have emailed Marva and was quoted $35 to do the tubing at 1:00 pm. Now, I am going to look at the wilderness atv website and compare what the costs would be of the options that you mentioned.

You say that you were too tired to do anything else after the tubing... would you consider the atv riding to be a labor intensive excursion? I am worried that I will be sore from it and will be uncomfortable for the remainder of the trip. Did you experience that?

Just one more question regarding the tubing... can you see through the water where Marva takes you tubing? In some photos, the water looks like a light green/blue that you can somewhat see through, and in other photos, it looks brown.

Thanks

I think we could see through the water in most places. I don't remember it being brown at all. Maybe it gets that way after a lot of rain and the current gets going? It was a beautiful blue/green for us. Marva's quote of $35 sounds about right because the tubing is $20.

I would say the ATV is labor intensive. Not like spin-class-for-an-hour intensive but yes, it's tiring. You won't be sore for days or anything like that but you'll get a bit of a workout. I think I posted before that we're a group of that consisted of a 34, 40, 43, 50, 51, 57 yr olds. So none of us are spring chickens but we did fine.

RIGirl,

I was just wondering how fast you could go on these things? Would you say that it was a thrill seekingtype of excursion, or more of a leisurely ride on the ATVs? Also, did you get dirty/muddy? And what type of clothing would you recommend? I think I would like to wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt that I could just throw away in case I get all dirty. Did you have to wear any kind of safety equipment (helmet, gloves)?

Well, I guess that was more than one question. But, I am just really trying to find out if this would be something that my BF would really enjoy. He seems to want something thrilling and fast paced. I am thinking that the atvs may be more thrilling than the ziplines. What do you think? Some of the zips appear slow.

RIGirl,

I was just wondering how fast you could go on these things? Would you say that it was a thrill seekingtype of excursion, or more of a leisurely ride on the ATVs? Also, did you get dirty/muddy? And what type of clothing would you recommend? I think I would like to wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt that I could just throw away in case I get all dirty. Did you have to wear any kind of safety equipment (helmet, gloves)?

Well, I guess that was more than one question. But, I am just really trying to find out if this would be something that my BF would really enjoy. He seems to want something thrilling and fast paced. I am thinking that the atvs may be more thrilling than the ziplines. What do you think? Some of the zips appear slow.

Hmmm....thrilling. Not sure how to answer that. It all depends. For me - I would call it thrilling. It was nothing like I would ever do normally. We went pretty fast in some areas, especially on the way down! However, my husband used to race motorcycles (motocross) professionally (competing) so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't call the adventure thrilling. But he had a blast anyway. So I guess it's a matter of prospective. It definately wasn't a leisure stroll on a paved road. There was some pretty hairy areas where there were sharp corners and rough terrain. I don't know how it would compare with ziplining. We considered doing the ziplines but I would much much rather do something like that in Costa Rica with the howler monkeys! :D We did get a bit dirty but it was just dirt. We wore helmets and goggles so our faces were a bit dirty where the goggles didn't cover and the front of my t-shirt was dusty. Not disgusting dirty - just dusty. We all wore t-shirts and shorts.

I was considering the ATV tour through wilderness with the dunns river excursion attached. Question, the pictures I see for the ATV rides they all seem to be in a neat lil line goin slow. Can you let loose with these ATV's or do u just go in a pretty slow little line? Can you explain to me as best you can the ATV ride? Thank you!!!

Yes, we went in a line but no, we didn't go slow! The tour operators watched us as we were practicing before we left on the adventure and placed in the line accordingly. We were booking it up the trail. The one that leads the tour takes off and just keeps checking back to make sure we're all following. There's also one tha follows behind to make sure no one gets lost or stuck. So yes, it is in a line but it certainly is not a leisure stroll down the road. You go up trails, not a paved road (although right before you hit the top the trail turns paved but only at the very top). Hope that answers your question. If not, let me know, I'll try again.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we went in a line but no, we didn't go slow! The tour operators watched us as we were practicing before we left on the adventure and placed in the line accordingly. We were booking it up the trail. The one that leads the tour takes off and just keeps checking back to make sure we're all following. There's also one tha follows behind to make sure no one gets lost or stuck. So yes, it is in a line but it certainly is not a leisure stroll down the road. You go up trails, not a paved road (although right before you hit the top the trail turns paved but only at the very top). Hope that answers your question. If not, let me know, I'll try again.:)

You def answered my questions thank you. One more question, how long do you actually ride the atvs? Minus the time your learning to use it. How long is the actualy ride time there and back

I'd say 1 1/2 hours (ish). We spent about 1/2 hour practicing and learning how to operate the ATVs then it was right up the mountain. We stopped at the top for maybe 1/2 hour or so to get a drink and take in the sight. Then back down again. It's enough! I'm not sure my arms could have held out for another hour! :D

• 1 month later...

A pretty bumby ride . The dirt road had alot of washouts. You will be dusty at the end of the ride.I was really disappointed that its called a "Wilderness Ride" and we only rode a dirt ride. The guys were really nice and fun but where was the wilderness!

• 1 year later...

Archived