fort lauderdale airport to Miami Port, how far

newlu

Hi,

we are arriving at the Fort Lauderdale airport and need to book a hotel for the night before departing for our cruise, at the Miami Port. Is the Sheraton Bal Harbor a good choice and just how far is Fort Lauderdale airport to the Miami port, how much by cab to get there, or somewhere close to there, we have kids so want a hotel with a nice pool.

Thanks

newlu

Since we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale after midnight, we stayed in a hotel there so I can't comment on Miami hotels. But I can tell you that it is about 45 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. We booked transportation thru a company instead of using a taxi and I believe it cost about $80 each way for our family of 4 plus tip.

The Sheraton has a great pool. We just did this and it took us about an hour to get from the airport to the hotel in Miami (Marriott Biscayne Bay) this was during traffic otherwise it only took about 30-45 min coming back. We had the kids with us, does not have a great pool, but they loved it and you could see the ships from our room. We used Larry's Limo about 220.00 round trip. They picked us up right at the port coming home. All arranged prior.

there is a shared van ride service right outside of the baggage claim in FLL it was 18$pp to either the port or the hotel. We came in on a sunday morning so the traffic was light and it took about 35-40 minutes.

It depends on what time you leave and the traffic, which can be unpredictible. I live near Ft. Lauderdale, and it took us a little over one hour to get there, but it took 2 coming back because of a wreck on I-95. If you like to get to the ship early, leave between 11-12. I wouldn't leave any later than 3pm, though.

This is the company I use when I leave out of FLL airport. They also have service to the Port of Miami.

www.floridalimo.com

You can get an online quote.

Last year we flew into Fort Lauderdale and sailed from Miami. We rented a car and drove to our hotel. In the morning we returned the car in Miami and took the shuttle provided by the rental company at no charge to the port. Since the hotel didn't have a free shuttle, we saved at that end too. It was less than $40 total.

Here is our idea. Book the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for the night. Get the van shuttle from FLL, $18. Book HI early, it fills up quickly. Bayside Marketplace is just a walk across the street. Food (Bubba Gumps, Hooters and more, lottsa shopping, and a very nice dollar store), Ross Store and Walgreens just down the street. It's a good place to be. AA Arena is there. If you like NBA basketball. Book a room with water view. When you awake in the a.m., you will sea your ship in the harbor! And, breakfast right there in the hotel! Have a great time . .

Rick and Deirdra

Did the same thing as bjenkins322 and even stayed right at the Sheraton Bal Harbour just like you're considering. We flew the red-eye from the West Coast to FLL arriving early Sat. morning, picked up a car from National (cuz I always rent from them), and explored Ft. Lauderdale a bit prior to checking in at the Sheraton. Pool-side (it is a great pool) nap and a swim in the ocean right there at the hotel was a great way to unwind Saturday before the cruise! Then we took off to drop the car at National's Miami Beach office and they shuttled us to the port. All worked out well and even though we paid for 2 days of car rental (had it over 24 hours) and parking at the Sheraton, it was pretty much even money vs. taxis and/or shuttles. Would do it all again!

Check your club memberships, such as Costco, Sams Club for discount car rental.

We ended up renting a car with the corporate rate through Costco, it's available for all of their members. I could not believe the cost comparison to the regular rate, even a whole lot lower than AAA.

We're renting a car at FLL, driving to our hotel (in FLL), parking at the hotel and port (short 2 day cruise), then driving back to FLL for about the same cost as taxi or shuttle. Our decision came for convenience more than anything else. Our trip is short and we didn't want to hassle waiting for shuttles, renting at the port a second time, etc...

Costco has a corporate rate for all the larger name rental agencies, I think we used Alamo.

Archived