pier shopping

lakemom

:) on a good note...at the variety store on the right outside and accross from the duty free I accidently dropped a bottle of booze. It smashed all over and the glass cut my leg in a few places. at first they tried to charge for the broken bottle which is understandable, however they took good care of me to help stop the bleeding and even gave me a free bag of chocolates on the way out. the prices were great and people friendly..shop there on your way back to the ship and you don't need to carry stuff around all day!!;)

• 4 months later...
:) on a good note...at the variety store on the right outside and accross from the duty free I accidently dropped a bottle of booze. It smashed all over and the glass cut my leg in a few places. at first they tried to charge for the broken bottle which is understandable, however they took good care of me to help stop the bleeding and even gave me a free bag of chocolates on the way out. the prices were great and people friendly..shop there on your way back to the ship and you don't need to carry stuff around all day!!;)

Do you remember how good the prices were ?

I have been trying to find out what would be a good deal to purchase here ... and there is not much info available on this particular board.

So any info or pics would be helpful ... thank you

It was a specialty liquere.Damica or something like that. In a budda belly bottle and it was very sweet and sticky.

It is supposed to be some Mayan aphrodisiac. I have only sipped it and put some in some baked beans:D . It was a 25$ bottle. I also bought a leather bound pint of Tequila for 10$. haven't gotten ito it yet. I like the bottles. There were about 5 stores for trinkets and clothes. The prices were about the same as the flea market . STAY AWAY form the duty free there...High $$$$$.ship was better!

Be sure to take the double decker bus tour 2$ each. if you go into town. Massages on the beach were 30$ an hor or 20$ 1/2 hour.

stay away from the SOL restaurant next to the corona beach party!

Any store sells corona for a buck and puts it in a bag. There is a grocery store a short walk up the road towards town that had what looked like good beach picnic fare.

hope this helps!

and Happy birthday!

Mommy. Most of us seniors can keep up. LOL Well, fortunately, my two weeks in Oct in Merida, I'm going solo so I can set my own pace. Immediately upon return I'll be having hip replacement surgery. Doc said if I could endure the pain, I could go. Taking a cane though. Don't think the hip will hold me back too much. As always when traveling outgside the US I have travel insurance. Remember, Medicare offers no coverage outside the states.

It was a specialty liquere.Damica or something like that. In a budda belly bottle and it was very sweet and sticky.

It is supposed to be some Mayan aphrodisiac. I have only sipped it and put some in some baked beans:D .

So inquiring minds want to know, did it work??? LOL :o:rolleyes::eek::D

Thank you very much Lakemom!

Great Info...

Could it possibly have been called Damiana Orange liquor ?

http://www.wineglobe.com/14168.html

Damiana Orange Liquor from Mexico 750ml

Mexico

Product Notes:

The national drink of Mexico. Made by the Guaycura Indians from the Damiana Herb which grows freely in the desert of southern Baja California, Mexico.

trans_1x1.gifRecipe:

Damiana Golden

Turn your typical Screwdriver into a love potion with a little Damiana liqueur. This herbal liqueur is made of the Damiana herb (used as an aphrodisiac for centuries) that grows in Baja California, Mexico.

INGREDIENTS:

1 oz Damiana

1 oz vodka

4 oz orange juice

PREPARATION:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.

Shake well. Strain into a highball glass.

Looks Very good !

I had boughten an Orange creme Liquor from Costa Rica too , that I had absolutley loved .

Thank you

Carolina

Mommy. Most of us seniors can keep up. LOL Well, fortunately, my two weeks in Oct in Merida, I'm going solo so I can set my own pace. Immediately upon return I'll be having hip replacement surgery. Doc said if I could endure the pain, I could go. Taking a cane though. Don't think the hip will hold me back too much. As always when traveling outgside the US I have travel insurance. Remember, Medicare offers no coverage outside the states.

HDAWSON: Have a great trip and good luck with your hip replacement.

Do you know anything about the double decker bus??? We are goin NOV 1st so if your back from your 2 weeks and are able to gather any info on it I would appreciate it.Thanks Mommy

:D ok! so YES, that was the liqueur. I did not notice any orange taste:confused:

Yes the flea market has hammocks and chairs. we got a chair for 5$

bus is at the flea market and a nice cheap tour around the city.

For those interested in quality hammocks, my suggestion is to visit the Mercado (central market) in Merida. Great selections of all quality. Look for tight knots. I would not buy hammocks from street vendors at rediculously low prices. You want quality? Pay for it.

Mommy, I'll be in Merida until the morning of Nov 6th. Would be happy to meet for coffee. BTW. The coffee almost anywhere is really good.

oops.. I never "read up"

I have not found out if it works;)

the bus is fun for all, put the kids up top with somebody resposible. it leaves/and returns from the market where the bus from the ship drops you off. lasts about 1/2 hour.

like I said go for the beach massage!:cool:

I broke my leg on the christmas cruise so I was just getting back into things on my Easter cruise. I sat up top (watch the wires!) but if you are having trouble with stairs sit below!

I am glad to have been a help:)

of course NOW i am getting itchy to make some reservations for another cruise! we have kids in School and DH owns his own Business so we can't just pick up amd go.:(

If only we could get to a port easier! But not form MIchigan!

we were out in Pentwater last week...FUN!:Dhave a great cruise!

Archived