Back with a new idea for the Black and White Ball

Yes, I'd have to say that dress is a bit more revealing than most. If I saw it without knowing it was a competition dress, I'm sure I'd be thinking you were a bit daring! I'd want to check out a photo of the back of it before I made a decision.

It lacks good taste.

Nice dress, but not for the QE2. And you would need a perfect bod for that dress.

Unfortunately alot of people think they can pour an oversize body into stuff like that, and not only do they look ridiculous they reveal alot about themselves that they might not want folks to think:rolleyes:

In ten cruises, I have to say I honestly don't recall anyone with a "Dancing with the Stars" style of formal gown. Maybe a couple gowns came close, but , no, honestly, the competitive ballroom dancing gowns are a class unto themselves. I don't think such gowns are customarily worn at formal events. They are a bit attention-getting for a staid cruise ship formal evening.

Some gowns such as you probably will see on a cruise ship can be seen at barriepace.com. Click on "Occasion gowns." Another good source of ideas is Nordstrom.com. Even David's Bridal has some formal gowns, just for ideas.

I hope you don't mind second-hand advice, but I just remembered someone said on another thread that they would show off one of their "assets" in a gown (basically meaning legs or bust) but not both. I thought that was a good "rule of thumb".

And I don't think anyone has to worry about Smoothdancer shoving herself into a gown that doesn't fit. I've read enough of her posts to know that she is a dancer and competes. I'm sure she will find something that is comfortable to dance in and will not be too skimpy.

Different light on the story... if she's a dancer, then shake your booty baby.

Nothing better to spark up a dull dance floor full of alot of old cronnies who think they can still strut their arthritic hips around, than a shapely professional dancer (just as long as you aren't HEather Mills :rolleyes: ) Wear that sexy white number, and Rhumba the night away. I can picture you with a long red rose inbetween your teeth while doing the tango.....

Give em palpitations and make the other wives jealous, now all you other less light on the feet ladies, stick to Chadwicks:D

Smoothdancer,

It is a pretty gown and I agree you better have a great body to go in that gown or...well I won't go there.

If you are in your 20's maybe because I think IMO a younger gal could pull it off but honestly I don't think that gown is right for a cruise. I did not say inappropriate just not right.

I am a firm believer if you have it why not flaunt it but in a tasteful way.

It would look nice out on the dance floor though;)

I like the dress. If you have the body for it, it's very sexy! I like RI-Sailor's suggestion of a wrap too.

I'm not familiar with the QM dress code, but if it's more conservative I'd be prepared for some eyeballs popping out and jaws hitting the floor! :D

Ok!. I hear you guys loud and clear, dress is out! I do not get the least bit offended when I miss the mark and am commented on such. This is why I ask the questions and can accept and appreciate a logical yeah or nay.

I do take great pains when I choose a gown for competitions that it fits properly and I am chosing a style that will compliment my figure. Many of the current styles in competition gowns have a lot of cut outs. It does require hours upon hours of time at the gym to tone my body to wear them. I just consider it another aspect of our training to compete. You dont need to be 20 something to wear something like this you just have to commit to a responsible diet and a consistant exercise program to do it. I think because I am so often exposed to this style of a gown it has become the "norm" to me and forget this is only the "norm" in a competitionm setting. After reading that the majority thinks this is not the right choice for a cruise I will keep on looking for the perfect gown!!!

Ok!. I hear you guys loud and clear, dress is out! I do not get the least bit offended when I miss the mark and am commented on such. This is why I ask the questions and can accept and appreciate a logical yeah or nay.

I do take great pains when I choose a gown for competitions that it fits properly and I am chosing a style that will compliment my figure. Many of the current styles in competition gowns have a lot of cut outs. It does require hours upon hours of time at the gym to tone my body to wear them. I just consider it another aspect of our training to compete. You dont need to be 20 something to wear something like this you just have to commit to a responsible diet and a consistant exercise program to do it. Still, after reading that the majority thinks this is not the right choice for a cruise I will keep on looking for the perfect gown!!!

I admire your dedication to your fitness. I bet you look great on the floor! :D Let us know how your search goes!

I think that the cutouts on this dress make it one to avoid on a cruise formal night. That said, since you are a ballroom dancer a slightly more conservative ballroom dress would be appropriate...and make you look amazing on the dance floor.

Smoothdancer - Love the dress for competion, but it is a little too much for a cruise.

Something like this might be better:

http://www.ballroomdancers.com/Classifieds/Costumes/query3.asp?CID=6284&Style=1

It seems that the dresses for standard or smooth are showing more and more body over the years and are becoming longer versions of rhythm or latin dresses.

Wear the dress Smooth Dancer- strut your stuff- and dance the night away! Cruises are about doing what you want...if someone is threatened, it's just their own insecurities talking. Before we all know it, we will be focusing on cleaning our dentures and making sure the long term health care insurance is paid...and wishing we had worn the incredible dress when we had a chance. Go for it, and don't look back!

Smooth Dancer, We cruise on the QM2 and feel I would be remiss if I didn't advice you to not wear this dress on the Queen. I have worn strapless, full-length gowns and felt that was the limit. I have to admire any woman who has kept her figure in such fine shape to be able to wear that beautiful white gown you've shared with us.

I really do love the gown and have made an offer on it. I think that complimented with my husbands black tux with a white pleated shirt, white bow tie, it could make an extrodinary picture.

If my price is accepted I am thinking I may bring it on our Princess cruise to Hawaii in November. I am still not sure that I would wear it to dinner but perhaps change into it for some picture taking opportunities. For the Queen Mary cruise however I am afraid that the gown will have to stay home!

Archived