Crown Princess 4/7 - 4/14

macedontraveler

Had a great time! What a wonderful ship & crew!

We had a balcony cabin forward on Baja deck. Yes, the balcony is covered, and yes, we could look right down on the balconies of the Caribe and Dolphin decks. If you have one of those cabins, remember to dress before you rush out in the morning to look at the sunrise as the ship docks. We were able to completely unpack & stow everything away, including the suitcases. Our cabin steward was awesome. He anticipated our every need and whim and accomplished his tasks without ever disturbing us. Don’t bother bringing a hairdryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner or lotion, they are already there. We never used the room service except two mornings to order coffee. It did seem to take a long time to get luggage delivered to the room upon embarkation (6+ hours), so plan on taking clothes for dinner in your carry on.

We were traveling with friends & during the day we usually took an excursion either morning or afternoon and shopped the other. Consequently, on those days the when the ship was in port it never seemed crowded and lounge chairs on deck or tables in the Horizon Court or Café Caribe were always available. If you wanted to be at the Neptune’s Reef & Pool or the Calypso Reef & Pool with your family it might have been a different story, especially on the one ‘at-sea’ day, when all the pools seemed a bit crowded, but deck chairs could always be found. We ate breakfast & lunch in the Horizon Court or Café Caribe & could always find more than enough to eat among the choices. Since we are not soda drinkers we didn’t buy the card – water, iced tea & coffee are always available in the Horizon Court & Caribe café.

We would highly recommend the catamaran & snorkeling excursions if that is what you are into. The crews were friendly and knowledgeable, and the rum punch was, well, rum punch!;) We snorkeled at two reefs (could have at a 3rd), lounged on two beaches (the 3rd was a protected nature preserve) & saw sea turtles, stingrays and a variety of fish. One of the turtles surfaced for air just feet from my wife (do the dead man’s float so as not to startle the turtle).

After our excursion for the day we would meet our friends in the Wheelhouse Bar for before dinner drinks. The waiters here were very friendly, and the music that began at 5:30 a wonderful prelude to the evening.

We opted for the Anytime Dining and dined every night except the 1st in the Michelangelo. We had studied the menus posted elsewhere on line and decided not to opt for the Specialty Restaurants. The food was excellent and always prepared just the way we asked. The Head waiter, Table Waiter and Assistant Waiter were exceptionally efficient and always had recommendations of what they liked. We seemed to dine at a time when the crowd wasn’t there, so frequently we had great conversations with the waiter and assistant. They were especially very knowledgeable about the shopping in each port. They and the Head Waiter would often bring extra dishes for us to try almost every evening, making what had been a five course meal into a 7 or 8. Be sure to save room for the desserts – enough said. In spite of that, due to taking the stairs about 95% of the time and using the fitness center, jogging track and promenade deck to walk I gained only 4 pounds and my wife gained none! And even if we waited for the elevators, the wait wasn’t long. Of course, the formal nights were special!

We usually opted for one of the evening’s entertainments, and do plan to arrive early to get a seat. There is a good variety each night, but if you can’t find a choice you like, there are always quiet places to be found.

Overall, a wonderful experience and we highly recommend the itinerary & ship! A few other items to be forewarned of: 1st – rarely is the Reception – Passenger Services desk fully staffed. Expect a wait. 2nd – Yes, you will need to show your ship’s ID card getting on and off the ship and your packages will be scanned. We also took our Passports with us on every island, but needed to show them only on St. Thomas. 3rd – yes, the shopping is great, and part of the reason we’ll be cruising again soon!

macedontraveler, thanks for a great review. We are going on the Crown in November and can't wait. Love to hear about the ship. We have a Caribe balcony so I will remember your warning.

Which island did you see the stingrays and turtles? I don't know if the itinerary will be the same in November as it is now.

We are going to chose anytime dining. Do they still have that chocolate "Love Boat" dessert? I think that's what it was called. It was so yummy!

We opted for the Anytime Dining and dined every night except the 1st in the Michelangelo. We had studied the menus posted elsewhere on line and decided not to opt for the Specialty Restaurants.

We seemed to dine at a time when the crowd wasn’t there, so frequently we had great conversations with the waiter and assistant.

What time were you arriving to avoid the crowds?

Had a great time! What a wonderful ship & crew!

We had a balcony cabin forward on Baja deck. Yes, the balcony is covered, and yes, we could look right down on the balconies of the Caribe and Dolphin decks. If you have one of those cabins, remember to dress before you rush out in the morning to look at the sunrise as the ship docks. We were able to completely unpack & stow everything away, including the suitcases. Our cabin steward was awesome. He anticipated our every need and whim and accomplished his tasks without ever disturbing us. Don’t bother bringing a hairdryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner or lotion, they are already there. We never used the room service except two mornings to order coffee. It did seem to take a long time to get luggage delivered to the room upon embarkation (6+ hours), so plan on taking clothes for dinner in your carry on.

We were traveling with friends & during the day we usually took an excursion either morning or afternoon and shopped the other. Consequently, on those days the when the ship was in port it never seemed crowded and lounge chairs on deck or tables in the Horizon Court or Café Caribe were always available. If you wanted to be at the Neptune’s Reef & Pool or the Calypso Reef & Pool with your family it might have been a different story, especially on the one ‘at-sea’ day, when all the pools seemed a bit crowded, but deck chairs could always be found. We ate breakfast & lunch in the Horizon Court or Café Caribe & could always find more than enough to eat among the choices. Since we are not soda drinkers we didn’t buy the card – water, iced tea & coffee are always available in the Horizon Court & Caribe café.

We would highly recommend the catamaran & snorkeling excursions if that is what you are into. The crews were friendly and knowledgeable, and the rum punch was, well, rum punch!;) We snorkeled at two reefs (could have at a 3rd), lounged on two beaches (the 3rd was a protected nature preserve) & saw sea turtles, stingrays and a variety of fish. One of the turtles surfaced for air just feet from my wife (do the dead man’s float so as not to startle the turtle).

After our excursion for the day we would meet our friends in the Wheelhouse Bar for before dinner drinks. The waiters here were very friendly, and the music that began at 5:30 a wonderful prelude to the evening.

We opted for the Anytime Dining and dined every night except the 1st in the Michelangelo. We had studied the menus posted elsewhere on line and decided not to opt for the Specialty Restaurants. The food was excellent and always prepared just the way we asked. The Head waiter, Table Waiter and Assistant Waiter were exceptionally efficient and always had recommendations of what they liked. We seemed to dine at a time when the crowd wasn’t there, so frequently we had great conversations with the waiter and assistant. They were especially very knowledgeable about the shopping in each port. They and the Head Waiter would often bring extra dishes for us to try almost every evening, making what had been a five course meal into a 7 or 8. Be sure to save room for the desserts – enough said. In spite of that, due to taking the stairs about 95% of the time and using the fitness center, jogging track and promenade deck to walk I gained only 4 pounds and my wife gained none! And even if we waited for the elevators, the wait wasn’t long. Of course, the formal nights were special!

We usually opted for one of the evening’s entertainments, and do plan to arrive early to get a seat. There is a good variety each night, but if you can’t find a choice you like, there are always quiet places to be found.

Overall, a wonderful experience and we highly recommend the itinerary & ship! A few other items to be forewarned of: 1st – rarely is the Reception – Passenger Services desk fully staffed. Expect a wait. 2nd – Yes, you will need to show your ship’s ID card getting on and off the ship and your packages will be scanned. We also took our Passports with us on every island, but needed to show them only on St. Thomas. 3rd – yes, the shopping is great, and part of the reason we’ll be cruising again soon!

I was on the same cruise.....have not had time yet to write my review but will soon. 1st Princess cruise (3 with RC). LOVED the ship!!!!!!!! Itinerary was great too. Excellent weather all week. I will write more later.:)

Great review, thanks! We will be on the baja deck in October. I was under the impression that we could look down on other balconies (not that we would want to) but that no one could look up into our balcony area. I figured that that would only apply if you were right up against the railing and, because the balconies are fully covered, that we would have privacy from above and below. I guess I am not picturing this correctly since I read your advice about being fully dressed before going out on the balcony?

We were also on this cruise and had a great time! Meet and greet at the Outrigger on Saturday was fun to meet all we had been talking to online here for so long. The ship is beautiful. Must visit the International Cafe in the Piazza(atrium level 5) Cookies were to die for. We planned ahead of time to really relax and enjoy our leisure time. Ate in the dining room once, the first night. Went to Crown Grill 2 times and then ate nightly in the Cafe Caribe. Great food, prime rib, beef wellington, lobster, Bavarian night with a roast pig.

Caribe deck was great as usual and steward was awesome. Had breakfast on balcony every morning while my husband went to Horizon Court and brought his. Around 7:30 he was back in 5 min.! Excursions were fun and beaches were wonderful. Cat to St. John was the best. If you like comedians, you will like the entertainment. Juan Carlos is the guitarist on board only the first night---Don't Miss Him!!!! Explorers lounge.

For the person who wondered about the balconies, the balconies are tiered out on this ship. The people on the Dolphin deck are completely uncovered and they can stand at their railing turn around and look up and see everyone on the Caribe, Baja, and Aloha deck above them. Same for the Caribe they can look down at the Dolphin people and look back up to the Baja and Aloha balconies aboved them. I think the people on Aloha and Baja think they have privacy but think again. There is no privacy on most of the Crown balconies, if you know what I mean.

For the person who wondered about the balconies, the balconies are tiered out on this ship. The people on the Dolphin deck are completely uncovered and they can stand at their railing turn around and look up and see everyone on the Caribe, Baja, and Aloha deck above them. Same for the Caribe they can look down at the Dolphin people and look back up to the Baja and Aloha balconies aboved them. I think the people on Aloha and Baja think they have privacy but think again. There is no privacy on most of the Crown balconies, if you know what I mean.

Gotcha! Thanks, now I understand.

We chose the baja deck. I would rather have people looking up at me then down from above:eek:

We had a balcony cabin forward on Baja deck. Yes, the balcony is covered, and yes, we could look right down on the balconies of the Caribe and Dolphin decks. If you have one of those cabins, remember to dress before you rush out in the morning to look at the sunrise as the ship docks.

Why?

macedontraveler, thanks for a great review. We are going on the Crown in November and can't wait. Love to hear about the ship. We have a Caribe balcony so I will remember your warning.

Which island did you see the stingrays and turtles? I don't know if the itinerary will be the same in November as it is now.

We are going to chose anytime dining. Do they still have that chocolate "Love Boat" dessert? I think that's what it was called. It was so yummy!

We saw them on the "Dancing Dolphin" catamaran cruise to Buck Island out of St. Thomas. I don't remember all of the desserts...at times we woud have 2 or 3 each & share among the 4 of us.

What time were you arriving to avoid the crowds?

We wound up making a 6:00 reservation (yes you can do that in Anytime Dining) for the same table/same time/same waiter & assistant so we could easily make the shows later. As it was, no one else reserved the table - so some evenings we didn't finish until 8 or 8:30.

Welcome and thanks for the great review! We are on the Crown in August. Did you do your excursions through Princess or on your own?

We booked all of ours through Princess. A caution, if you book on your own and you are not back in time, the ship leaves without you & you get to find your way to the next stop. A great way to ruin a vacation (& miss dinner).

I was on the same cruise.....have not had time yet to write my review but will soon. 1st Princess cruise (3 with RC). LOVED the ship!!!!!!!! Itinerary was great too. Excellent weather all week. I will write more later.:)

I'm ready to go again! I could be packed in about 15 minutes & on the way to the airport.

Great review, thanks! We will be on the baja deck in October. I was under the impression that we could look down on other balconies (not that we would want to) but that no one could look up into our balcony area. I figured that that would only apply if you were right up against the railing and, because the balconies are fully covered, that we would have privacy from above and below. I guess I am not picturing this correctly since I read your advice about being fully dressed before going out on the balcony?

Those above cannot see you - unless you are near the bridge, but those on the Caribe & Dolphin decks could look up & see you if you were near the rail. Translate this as if you are on the Caribe & Dolphin decks, be sure to be clothed at all times. If you are on the Caribe or above, be sure to wear something under that wonderful Princess robe...;)

jckypaO- The cat to St. John's was great. Water is choppy but not that bad. No one on our trip was ill. The cat can no longer dock at havensight where we docked due to the Queen Mary at Crown Bay that day. the new ordinance is 80 feet or more. So we were bused to another marina where we boarded. The bus ride was a bit like Thunder Mountain at Disney World but we arrived safe and in about 15 min. The crew collects your shoes before boarding therefore "barefoot" cruise. Cat was clean and crew friendly. Sail to St. John's Honeymoon Beack and anchor about 100 feet from shore in 15 ft. water. I stayed onboard but my husband went in. About an hr. total water time. Snorkeling was great from all who did it. Then sail back. Snacks, pot. chips, salsa and chips, asst. cheeses, snack mix, and pretzles. Beer, soda, wine, champagne and a killer drink called Pain Killer were offered. Water also. On the way back, cat seemed to hug the shore a bit more and the captain told us about the rich and famous houses and new buildings going up. Hit a traffic jam about a mile before the dock going back but still made it pretty quick. Happy to be back in Havensight so we did a bit of shopping. Hope this helps.

Archived