Is there an iron in the cabin or should I bring my own travel iron?

CruisinMed

Isn't it amazing. You can't have a travel iron but you can smoke. Now that makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes: After all, we hear of fires being started by travel irons all the time. Cigarettes never cause fires. Think about it.

I quoted my origional post so that everyone would know that I certainly did not mean to stir up a "hornet's nest" by making the above comment. :) I admit that there was a tone of sarcasm, but I was merely trying to make a comment on the rule. I was not trying to lobby for a ban on smoking, but rather for a lifting of the ban on travel irons (if anything). My attempt was merely to point out the folly of the rule. :D It seems to have been somewhat misunderstood or maybe I should have explained a little more (which I thought I did in my second post)

I quoted my origional post so that everyone would know that I certainly did not mean to stir up a "hornet's nest" by making the above comment. :) I admit that there was a tone of sarcasm, but I was merely trying to make a comment on the rule. I was not trying to lobby for a ban on smoking, but rather for a lifting of the ban on travel irons (if anything). My attempt was merely to point out the folly of the rule. :D It seems to have been somewhat misunderstood or maybe I should have explained a little more (which I thought I did in my second post)

You're fine with me. I just threw a little humor in there. Or tried to anyhow! :D

Was there any doubt? ;) If you pack correctly, there will be little or no need for an iron of any sort. What few wrinkles you get can be taken care of with steam in the bathroom, a travel steamer, Downey Wrinkle Release or a quick press in the laundry room.

This is true. My accidental smuggled object was never used or plugged in for that matter. We packed pretty good. :)

I guess I feel the same way. It's such a strange rule. It's been mentioned that the reason for the ban is the pull on the electrical system. Well, my home iron is 1200 watts. My hair dryer is 1875 watts. No one says I can't bring my hair dryer. And, my travel iron has a much smaller wattage than my home iron. If it's such a no-no, why has mine never, never in 5 cruises been confiscated by the room steward? Why has he or she always nicely wrapped the cord up and placed it neatly on my vanity?

Umm...yeah. And if you forget to turn it off when you go to dinner and start a massive fire that forces the other 2000 passengers to jump in the lifeboats, it's their fault for booking on the same ship as you.:rolleyes:

I sometimes think you're all a little precious about the irons. How many of you have gone out and left the iron on? And how many of you have actually had your house burn down as a result?

Its like hotels in Italy don't have irons in them because it is a 'fire hazard', but every other country I have been to allows them.

In the state I live in, there were 258 fires caused by household appliances in the last year that the statistics were collected. 19 of those were caused by telelvisions and 1 was from an iron.

....... If it's such a no-no, why has mine never, never in 5 cruises been confiscated by the room steward? Why has he or she always nicely wrapped the cord up and placed it neatly on my vanity?

Maybe the steward wants to make sure you don't remove his tip?? You have actually taken and used an iron on five cruises, knowing the NO IRONS IN CABINS rule, and not even one steward has removed it? Shame on you and the stewards, if this is true. :(

Maybe the steward wants to make sure you don't remove his tip?? You have actually taken and used an iron on five cruises, knowing the NO IRONS IN CABINS rule, and not even one steward has removed it? Shame on you and the stewards, if this is true. :(

It's true!

Well, I actually didn't realize I smuggled it until after I got home or on board (I can't remember) and realized they weren't allowed. I just used the word "smuggled" loosely because it was brought on board when it's not allowed.

Hi again, Amber. The word 'smuggle' means that someone knows they're not allowed to take/bring a specific item - but they do it secretly. Therefore, it seemed that you knew, but did it anyway. The fact that you didn't KNOW puts it in a whole new perspective, just not explained correctly.:)

When I said "Don't know how we got away with that," I was talking about not using the iron, not getting it on the ship.

Again....clarity needed, as yes it did seem that you meant getting away w/bringing the iron.

You make me feel like I just offered pot to an 8 year old or something.

Sorry, but your wording was misleading. And I wasn't being mean; I simply asked a question. Welcome to the boards, and I hope you enjoy your future cruises.:)

The assumption that smoking is a major cause of fire is incorrect, in fact according to the NFPA it only accounts for 4% of residential fires. In addition, in cabin fire supression systems can deal with a class a fire without much danger of the fire spreading. Electrical fires are class c fires, cannot be put out with water and can easily spread within the walls.

If anyone believes the hype on the side of their hair dryer they're crazy. If a hair dryer really drew 1875 watts, it would pop the circuit breaker on a 15 amp circuit everytime it is used. (that is not opinion, it is science).

The assumption that smoking is a major cause of fire is incorrect, in fact according to the NFPA it only accounts for 4% of residential fires. In addition, in cabin fire supression systems can deal with a class a fire without much danger of the fire spreading. Electrical fires are class c fires, cannot be put out with water and can easily spread within the walls.

In my neck of the woods, heat from smokers' materials (eg: cigarettes, cigars and pipes) is second as a source of residential fires only to heat from electrical equipment arcing, overloaded (other).

In my neck of the woods, heat from smokers' materials (eg: cigarettes, cigares and pipes) is second as a source of residential fires only to heat from electrical equipment arcing, overloaded (other).

You mean like irons????

Tops with NFPA is cooking equipment, then heating equipment, everything else is pretty much a draw.

No, I don't mean like irons. Irons have been identified as the culprit in one residential fire only. 'Other' is unidentified sources (so, potentialy irons). What I mean is that the only thing that seems to have caused more residential fires than cigarettes etc is an electrical fault of unknown source.

Actually, having had another look at the statistics, it is this

Heat from electrical equipment arcing, overloaded (other) 291/4631

Heat from gas fuelled equipment (stoves, BBQs, heaters, water heaters) 281/4631

Heat from smokers' materials (eg: cigarettes, cigars and pipes) 238/4631

Heat from appliances / equipment - iron 1/4631

Actually, having had another look at the statistics, it is this

Heat from electrical equipment arcing, overloaded (other) 291/4631

Heat from gas fuelled equipment (stoves, BBQs, heaters, water heaters) 281/4631

Heat from smokers' materials (eg: cigarettes, cigars and pipes) 238/4631

Heat from appliances / equipment - iron 1/4631

The statistics don't lie. Smoking material (which is allowed on cruise ships) is 238 times as likely to start a fire than an iron. Case closed.

there seems to be a new thread on this everyday:confused: you wldn't even need the search function here. it's probably still on page 2 or 3?

What is amazing to me, is that there are so many responses. One would have answered the question?

In my neck of the woods, heat from smokers' materials (eg: cigarettes, cigars and pipes) is second as a source of residential fires only to heat from electrical equipment arcing, overloaded (other).

I just love your cute dog! :)

Well it's good to see that we have a resident Carnival electrician here that obviously knows more than the cruise lines, and obviously has looked at the stats and realizes there are more electrical fires at sea (MANY) compared to fires at sea started by cigarettes (one, but it would not have happened had people not left flammable materials on the ship, so we should probably ban towels and shirts now too)... I guess since said person is a cruise ship electrician, they are also fully aware of the materials required to be used in rooms (same as hotel rooms) in order to "smolder" a cigarette so they don't start a fire... I guess he is in the process of coming up with something that will do the same for electrical fires? I'm assuming you will have something really special for formal night, when there will be about 1500 irons plugged into your system?? Please, do tell!!! :D We thank you for your service and hope you will continue building great ships for us!!!!

The statistics don't lie. Smoking material (which is allowed on cruise ships) is 238 times as likely to start a fire than an iron. Case closed.

So the Australian statistics are valid because they prove your point, but the American ones aren't because they don't??

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I have posted this before. But I think it is such a good example of what it would be like when there is a fire onboard. VERY scary! :(

Thank you... which is exactly why if the cruise lines consider something a fire hazard, we should respect that... they know their ships, they have the history on their side, and they know better than any goon on a message board what is and is not a safety hazard on THEIR OWN SHIPS :rolleyes: Blows me away how many people come on and try to dumb the rest of us down with stats and how things SHOULD be... and how the cruise lines are so stupid for allowing one thing and not the other... you would think these very succesful businesses know what they are doing...

Blows me away how many people come on and try to dumb the rest of us down with stats and how things SHOULD be... and how the cruise lines are so stupid for allowing one thing and not the other... you would think these very succesful businesses know what they are doing...

No, I wouldn't think these very successful businesses necessarily know what they are doing except making money.

Archived