Is there an iron in the cabin or should I bring my own travel iron?

CruisinMed

My opinion I could care less what is the #1 cause of fire.

Electrical and cigarettes both cause fires. So please everyone be careful.

Especially those that throw their butts over the railings (you know who you are) Too many times we have found them on our balcony:eek:

No, I wouldn't think these very successful businesses necessarily know what they are doing except making money.

So you don't think they actually know how to build ships (or have the same contractor ship after ship??)... you don't think they pay ANY attention to what is safe and what isn't? You don't think they keep records of what has started every fire in their companies history (because there are websites that do, I would hope they would)... you don't think they know marketing? Wow... as a business owner, I can only hope to have a portion of the success that some of these cruise lines have had :p It takes much more to run a business than knowing how to make money :rolleyes:

I know first hand that cruiselines take fire very seriously. My boss (in his younger days) was an officer on the QE2 and Princess ships. Hearing him talk about fighting fires on board the ships is quite eye opening.

A lot of fires on ships have not been started by the passengers. But by engines electrical systems etc. What scares me most is not the passengers with irons, because I really think people are very safe with them, but the passengers who bring "Mood Candles" Or "Fragrance Candles" onboard! I have read on this message board where someone was talking about taking candles, not allowed by the cruise line, by the way. In Winthrop Washington a few years back a woman had candles in her hotel room and ended up burning down the whole hotel and several cars in the parking lot! The woman was then sued by the insurance company for the entire cost of the hotel! The same thing would happen if you caused a fire on a ship. YOU are responsible for the damage Lots of $$$$!

And if they are so worried about irons, then why do they have them in the laundry rooms? Most irons now a days are self shut off types. But I say better safe than sorry. I also have seen a few times where someone with a cigarette started a fire in their cabin. Once it was just a few doors down from us. Not a big fire, but enough to cause a lot of smoke! We could smell it in our cabin.

I have posted this before. But I think it is such a good example of what it would be like when there is a fire onboard. VERY scary! :(

Thanks for posting the link. I believe they came to the determination that it was started by the results of a cigarette. :eek: Hmmm.

I don't think an iron was involved.

....... but the passengers who bring "Mood Candles" Or "Fragrance Candles" onboard! I have read on this message board where someone was talking about taking candles, not allowed by the cruise line, by the way.

Just in case folks don't read their "Welcome Aboard" booklet that comes w/the cruise docs, I have that in my permanent signature in RED. A few have mentioned it and said they 'didn't know'....

And if they are so worried about irons, then why do they have them in the laundry rooms?

They can monitor the laundry rooms, but not passenger cabins.

Hi again, Amber. The word 'smuggle' means that someone knows they're not allowed to take/bring a specific item - but they do it secretly. Therefore, it seemed that you knew, but did it anyway. The fact that you didn't KNOW puts it in a whole new perspective, just not explained correctly.:)

I know what smuggle means. That's why I reclarified and said that I used the word "smuggle" very loosely in my statement. I would not have used the word smuggled so loosely had I known that this was a big issue. I would have known to clarify how I brought it on so as not to be lectured.

Sorry, again! :)

I know what smuggle means. That's why I reclarified and said that I used the word "smuggle" very loosely in my statement. I would not have used the word smuggled so loosely had I known that this was a big issue. I would have known to clarify how I brought it on so as not to be lectured.

Sorry, again! :)

Don't sweat it. Lecturing happens a lot around here. I think it's because many of the people doing the lecturing are ignored in their daily lives. :eek: :D ;)

Seems people want more rules when it comes to something they do not approve of. If it is something we do not like, then we are all for another law or rule.

Rules can never be evenly applied across the board, or we would loose all of our freedom we fight so hard to protect. Hopefully as individuals, we take others safety to heart and are responsible.

Carol

"WOW"...all this on this thread because the "OP" asked if there were irons in the cabins or should I bring one.......LOL

Uncle...I give.......:rolleyes:

To the "OP".....What can I say....not your fault.......

Just a debate........

In a day or so this thread will be at the bottom of the board and no one will see it again......:)

Actually, most if not all the laundry rooms are stainleess steel walls/ceilings with tile floors. Not much in there that can burn.

Your Quote made it look like I said that? About monitoring the laundry rooms?

I am not for having irons in the rooms, just think there are other things as well just as dangerous that are allowed, and things like electrical fires that have nothing to do with the passengers. I wonder if a fire is ever started in the crew areas?

This was said after the Carnival Ectasy fire ...

NTSB Chairman Jim Hall said in a statement.

"Laundry room fires are something we have seen in previous accidents, and ... we will be looking closely at that issue," he said.

Photo of the Ectasy on fire..

http://www.holidaytravelwatch.net/Content/ContentImages/New%20Photos%20-%2016.9.05/Ectasy%20Fire%20off%20coast%20of%20Miami%201998.JPG

I just did a search on yahoo "number one cause of cruise ship fires" guess what came up NOPE It wasn't caused by an IRON but a cigerette. So you know I agree if carnival is going to ban "fire hazards" then do something about the smokers. JUST MY OPINION

I just did a search on yahoo "number one cause of cruise ship fires" guess what came up NOPE It wasn't caused by an IRON but a cigerette. So you know I agree if carnival is going to ban "fire hazards" then do something about the smokers. JUST MY OPINION

Unfortunately they tried with the Non Smoking Paradise for a while, but couldn't keep it full. I just think some people who drink too much, probably more than they are used to at home, get careless with their smoking.

I hear you and I'm with you. :)

Do something about the smokers? What would you have them do?

Do something about the smokers? What would you have them do?

honestly I think they should have a designated ROOM not a whole side of a ship to smoke on. I am saying this as an ex smoker so yes I know they have rights, they are people also. BUT so are the ones that chose to wear jeans in the dining room on non formal night, and all the other things some decide to itch about on here.

If they want to kill themselves then fine but you know have some respect for others. You never know who is around that has asthma or other health conditions and is it alright to kill others for the joy of a smoke?

AGAIN JUST MY OPINION

As everyone has said, travel irons are not allowed. But so you know, the cabin has a few closets for you to hang clothes in. If you have clothes drycleaned, leave them in the bags. This helps stop wrinkling. One tip I had taken from somone here on the boards was to bring some extra wire hangers incase I didn't have enough and then just leave them when you disembark.

Pam

Believe it or not, but the dry cleaning bag suggestion really works!! Go by your local dry cleaner and buy some - didn't cost me anything, but the price will be nominal should you pay. No wrinkles. Should have been, but there weren't. One of the best tips I've come across here.

Well it's good to see that we have a resident Carnival electrician here that obviously knows more than the cruise lines, and obviously has looked at the stats and realizes there are more electrical fires at sea (MANY) compared to fires at sea started by cigarettes (one, but it would not have happened had people not left flammable materials on the ship, so we should probably ban towels and shirts now too)... I guess since said person is a cruise ship electrician, they are also fully aware of the materials required to be used in rooms (same as hotel rooms) in order to "smolder" a cigarette so they don't start a fire... I guess he is in the process of coming up with something that will do the same for electrical fires? I'm assuming you will have something really special for formal night, when there will be about 1500 irons plugged into your system?? Please, do tell!!! :D We thank you for your service and hope you will continue building great ships for us!!!!

Now there's a mature argument.....

Archived