No More Rebates?!

fkwok

Hi just heard an ugly rumor that CCL and RRCL have institutued a policy of holding all TA's to stick with the corporate rates vs letting TA's offer rebates to us. I hope that means they'll also lower their prices to reflect me losing discount from my TA.

Anyone else here anything?

Yeah, I have been reading this also...I don't think I like where its leading.....ya can't cut out the middleman!..I am not sure I completly understand it.From what I understand,they are going to reduce the amount that an independent TA makes off a sell,or a Online agency?Which I guess would make those prices go up.

Then I read today about non-published rates...Like one time my TA had a "coupon" for 100 off...

Anyway you look at it...I think the days of really good bargains may be few and far between.

It seems that Carnival is trying to manage and dictate the prices of their cruises. Which is their right to do so. It's just that this cuts out the TA's who discount their profits to make a sale. Those TA's that cut their profit so much that they give poor service to their customers don't stay around to do business very long.

If the lowest rate is too good to be true, well it probably is.

If a TA can manage their business at a reasonable profit and still offer discounts to its clients than they should be able to do so. Certainly we all benefit.

There may be more factors involved in Carnivals decision but on the surface it just stifles competition and leads to price fixing. Maybe the gasoline situation is a good example. Control at the source and you set the price at the end.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I read the linked thread and still am not convinced CCL and RCCL are doing the right thing. There seems to be a lot of confusion and opposing viewpoints.

I am not an experience cruiser, so I rely on my TA to guide me on our cruises. I book 2 vacations a year with her for the last 3 years so she gives a preferred customer discount; i.e. a rebate from her commission.

Now if CCL and RCCL is not going to cut her commission and my " rebate" then fine. More power to 'em. If this means my TA is locked into the official price and not allowed to offer me a discount, then shame on them!

I hope NCL does not do this. That would create accusations of price fixing.

I'll wait and see, but am not hopeful.

Archived