What's for dinner? The good, the bad & the ugly!

cruiselubbers

I like the Tom Turkey!! :) I've also enjoyed their jerk pork. The beef dishes are hit and miss for me.

They had some new ice cream or sherbert thing that was purple and tasted like flowers. It actually was made from a flower, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Don't order it. bleck.

I had this on the Victory last May...can't remember what it was but it wasn't very good. My favorite thing was the chilled strawberry soup. After a day in the sun, my daughter and I would share a pb&j from room service with a glass of skim milk. I know its only pb&j but it was super good.

Legend: the cheesecake from the cafe was HEAVENLY and all the pasta

Glory: The bitter and blanc desert YUMMY; fish and chips were good

I have like the reuben and pizza on all ships

Can't remember what ship, but I enjoyed some dish, name is escaping, but is shrimp inside of a pastry

I, too, cannot eat the chocolate melting cake without ice-cream

Lavender ice cream maybe? It was kind of trendy in nice restaurants around here a couple of years ago. Not my favorite flavor for ice cream, but I've also had lavender lemonade, which I do like.

I had some kind of lavender thing that was not ice cream, but did have a lot of cream in it and it was wonderful.

I also had the Cinnamon fig cake with basil ice cream and the basil ice cream was wonderful.

It looks like they may have changed the basil ice cream to rum raisin now:(

Lavender ice cream maybe? It was kind of trendy in nice restaurants around here a couple of years ago. Not my favorite flavor for ice cream, but I've also had lavender lemonade, which I do like.

YES! That was it, why on earth could I not remember lavender??? I think I blocked it out, it was so horrible. It was like eating potpourri. Maybe in some nicer restaurants it could have been good, but on the cruise, no no no.

did not care for the ...the lobster(look where I'm from).

I agree with you! I'm origionally from Mass. & to me, it's not lobster - it's just a big crawfish. Doesn't even have the same flavor or texture of cold-water lobster.

I did love the lamb & the steaks were good. The Deli's corned beef sand. was good & we'll probably stick with the hot dogs & hamburgers and pizza & salads rather than the real lunch buffet. I wish you could get tomato & onion slices with the bagel & cream cheese from room service in the morning.

BTW, it's a LOP-sta if you're from New England. :eek:

I was amazed by how fantastic the soups are. Sun Dried Tomato with Touch of Gin, Lobster Bisque, Pumpkin, all just fantastic, and I am not normally a soup person.

The Escargot, lobster, Beef Wellington, and pasta with sun dried tomato sauce were all stand outs on the Sensation last September, in my opinion.

I did not enjoy the duck, but I tried duck in a restaurant and didn't like it there either, so probably not the ship's fault.

Make sure that you try the diet dessert items.. I wasn't dieting on our last cruise (really who would?) but had the Diet Pina Colada cake.. I know it doesn't sound that great but it was beautiful, light and fluffy & very delicious!

DH & I could eat escargot every night if they would serve it...

Yet I've never been impressed with Carnival's bread rolls. Most seen too doughy to me.

I'll take a dough ball any day over anything that slithers. I make it a rule to not eat anything slimy that you can step on. But that's just me. You can have my share.:)

I had some kind of lavender thing that was not ice cream, but did have a lot of cream in it and it was wonderful.

I also had the Cinnamon fig cake with basil ice cream and the basil ice cream was wonderful.

It looks like they may have changed the basil ice cream to rum raisin now:(

Ick! Not rum raisin! I loved the fig cake with the basil ice cream - it was my favorite dessert. I really don't like the flavor of basil in pastas and such but it really worked in the ice cream for some reason.

I don't really remember the dinner rolls - I got hooked on the sliced rye bread with dinner every night. All the food was very good, the only disappointment was the pizza everyone loves so much. It was edible but not great - too much dough, dusted in cornmeal which isn't my favorite style and not enough sauce.

Ick! Not rum raisin! I loved the fig cake with the basil ice cream - it was my favorite dessert. I really don't like the flavor of basil in pastas and such but it really worked in the ice cream for some reason.

I don't really remember the dinner rolls - I got hooked on the sliced rye bread with dinner every night. All the food was very good, the only disappointment was the pizza everyone loves so much. It was edible but not great - too much dough, dusted in cornmeal which isn't my favorite style and not enough sauce.

I have been looking forward to that basil ice cream.

I have never tried the pizza.

With all that lovely stuff to eat, pizza is not tops on my list.

I guess I've been stuck with pizza when I didn't want it too many times.

Oh my gosh! How NASTYYYYYYYYY!

I thought I had read that somewhere...but they really do?!? YUCK!!

I have PET snails!! Man I'd never eat my own kind! I'm not a cannibal!

Thanks for the REAL warning that they really do serve them!

Be blessed, be a blessing! :p

On Celebrity they also serve frog legs. I was on a cruise once and all the people at my table, except me, was either eating Frog Legs, or Escargot. I felt like 'What is this, FEAR FACTOR? We have too many slugs in the Northwest for me to enjoy eating a snail. And those poor little frogs!

This was neither good nor bad, but very funny...when we cruised the Grandeur last year my sister ordered the kids' grilled cheese in the main dining room for my niece...when the waiter brought it, it was nothing but a piece of warm sliced cheese on a plate....imagine the look on my 5 year old niece's face, as well as the rest of us at the table. Who knew a "grilled cheese" was literally a piece of cheese that had been grilled :D

I wouldn't touch snails even if you paid me :confused: The shell alone would be too crunchy

Fred

Escargot - not a bad as it sounds. It's like thinking of Lobster as sea floor scavengers or Shirmp as large bugs. You don't eat the shell. Not my favorite, but I've had them at weddings or fine dining and they are not so bad. I wouldn't pay $20 for an appetizer, but free on the ship - maybe.

I agree with you! I'm origionally from Mass. & to me, it's not lobster - it's just a big crawfish. Doesn't even have the same flavor or texture of cold-water lobster.

I did love the lamb & the steaks were good. The Deli's corned beef sand. was good & we'll probably stick with the hot dogs & hamburgers and pizza & salads rather than the real lunch buffet. I wish you could get tomato & onion slices with the bagel & cream cheese from room service in the morning.

BTW, it's a LOP-sta if you're from New England. :eek:

Being from CT I'd have to say I share the same feelings about Maine Lobster - cold water lobster is the best. However ...... you cannot believe Kona Lobster in Hawaii. They took Maine lobsters from Maine and placed them in a ocean bases "farm" off the coast of Kona in an area that has an unusual cold temp and they are to die for. But hey, I'll eat lobster any day.

Great thread - now I'm hungry!

On the Fantasy in January, we had much to enjoy, but the grouper broiled in butter was great (my personal favorite). All of the cold soups are delicious. DW likes the escargot, but I will pass. She became addicted to the warm melting chocolate cake. The new menus are welcome.

All I have been able to think about since DanniC said about frogs jumping in her stomach was picturing that and the rabbits Glama mentioned playing leap frog? Or is that leap frog rabbit frog now?

lmbo!

Love the answers!

I can't wait to try the salmon fixed anyway you guys have mentioned it now, I know to stay away from things that are made with flowers (I'd have tried lavender because I would have thought that I would have definitly like it!) and I am now just praying nobody eats escargot!

Still grossing at that one!

Also I am going to have to try a pb&j delievered to the room because the is the 2nd board that has said it's great!

Does anyone know how many midnite buffets are on a 5 day cruise and if there is like a chocolate lovers night?

Be blessed, be a blessing! :D

One more thought, grilled cheese? Just a piece of cheese? That is WILD!! I would have NEVER thought that one! I was thinking bread & cheese! Either way one of my 4 dogs would have given his left paw for that dinner! lol

Thanks again for all your wonderful posts!

Be blessed, be a blessing! :p

Archived