Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Info please

gg3

Just found out HAL has placed us at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver for our 2 pre cruise nights in July. Any information re: hotel information, sightseeing MUSTs, etc. would be so appreciated. Also how to get from place to place and is there a Starbucks close to this hotel ?? gg

The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown. The big underground shopping mall is one about block away. The museum is near by. The shops and restaurants of Robson are a few minutes walk. You can walk to the Harbor and gastown in 10 minutes. There are more coffee shops in Vancouver than I care to count.

Here's a tip. If you want to bring some water or soda on board, there is a large pharmacy a few blocks away.

The Hotel Vancouver is one of the top hotels in town - five star. The royal family and official visitors typically stay there. Built in the 1930's by the Canadian Pacific railroad; very elegant. Rooms are on the small side, but very well decorated and maintained. Probably the most central downtown Vancouver location of any hotel. If you are an animal lover, they even have a dog to greet you on arrival, my recollection may be fuzzy but I think it's a golden retriever named Maggie; she is available for walkies.

You cannot walk more than a block in any direction out of the Hotel Vancouver without hitting a Starbucks. In fact, I seem to think that a block over on Robson, there is one on each of all four corners. A friend who works for Starbucks corporate told me there are more in Vancouver than any other city including Seattle, about 70 in downtown alone.

there are 2 fairmonts in town...both are beautiful hotels, but one is right downtown & the other is right at the airport.

I suspect yours is the "hotel vancouver" as it used to be called, but you might want to double check.

Thank you all for your help. Are we within walking distance of Stanley Park ?? If not, what is our best mode of transportation (without renting a car) to get there and Granville Island or anywhere else you suggest ?? gg in E. Texas

Hi gg

What month are you travelling? If you're "walkers" its' walking distance to Stanley park, but it's a good walk. There are loads of local buses & if you're at the downtown fairmont, you're right in the middle of everything.

if you're downtown, you're on Georgia ...the street that goes straight to Stanley park.

granville island is probably a bit too far to walk, but again there are local buses,(an all day pass is just $8 CDN... you can get anywhere with that)

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/Fares_Passes/fare_pricing.asp

& even little ferries that take you across the water to granville island... very fun. http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/

if you want to go across to North Vancouver - there's a (bigger) ferry called the "seabus" that takes you to lonsdale quay (just a short walk from your hotel)

there are also trolleys for the tourists that let you get on/off at a bunch of vancouver touristy places.... they disappear during the winter, but I've already noticed a few around town & in tourist season there seems to be quite a lot of them. they look very cute, the driver tells you about stuff as you go buy & they always look like they're having fun! http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/index.html I notice that one of their stops is at the art gallery....that's in the next block to your hotel.

Weathermom - love the title. Were did you come by it ?? We live in East Texas and are coming to Alaska the first week of July when it will be in the 90-100 range here. We are staying at the Vancouver Hotel (Fairmont) downtown. There is another Fairmont called Fairmont Waterfront, but Holland America booked us at this one and we are happy with it. So how do we find the trolleys or shuttles - do they stop close to the Fairmont or do you know ?? Thank you for all the great web sites. We are not so much shoppers (well, I am, hubby is not) or art lookers. We love nature and wildlife and your beautiful great Northwest. What is lonsdale quay and what is to be seen in North Vancouver. Can we walk to where the little ferries take us to Granville Island or is it too far. I, of course, can look all this up, but there is Nothing that can compare to having someone from Vancouver, tell you about Vancouver. Many thanks for your time. gg

Hi gg,

what nights of the week are you here? what kind of things do you like to do if you don't like the shopping or museum scene.

depending on the days, there are different things to do ... sometimes in July we have fabulous fireworks on English Bay...really something to see! if you're into football, you might be able to catch a canadian football game.

lonsdale quay is the commuter ferry port on the north shore (across from downtown).. It offers a great view of the harbour - quaint shops, great restaurants for lunch etc. Its a fun destination on its own, but if you want more to explore on the north shore - it's where our mountains are.

there are a couple of places on the north shore that I'd recommend - capilano suspension bridge ( http://www.capbridge.com/ ) is one & grouse mountain is the other. The views from grouse mountain (you take a gondola up to the top...it's a ski hill in winter & has loads of walking trails & a fun lumberjack demonstration in the summer. http://www.grousemountain.com/welcome.cfm

you can catch a city bus to either of these places from lonsdale quay. or the trolley folks go up to grouse mountain each evening for dinner (great restaurant with an amazing view)

If you were renting a car, I'd recommend other places - such as lighthouse park.

about granville island. the walk is "doable" for you, but it's a good long one. You can easily catch a city bus going south & "hitch a ride" most of the way there. our buses are frequent & friendly.

If you do the "trolley" thing - they go to granville island & then you could catch the little ferries to one of the other locations that they stop at (like vanier park (where the maritime museum/great beaches are)

other places i'd recommend ....besides stanley park that you'd already mentioned (when you're there...stop & see the aquarium & also the totems)

if you like walking, we have amazing beaches with great walking trails around them, In Stanley Park, on the west side, in the west end & in west vancouver (all different places)

if you're into gardening...Van Dusen gardens are great... not quite like butcharts in victoria, but they're very beautiful & interesting. & you can get within a couple of blocks easily by city bus.

there are charters available to see the killer whales or to go fishing (best ones start either in Steveston or in Granville island)

we have one of the largest & oldest chinatowns in north america (note that this is a real, live chinatown & NOT a tourist trap... it makes a great stop for noodles & really reasonable/interesting souvenirs.

if you want to venture away from the city centre - there are lots of other things to do.... most of the "locals" don't spend much time downtown except for nights like the "fireworks" night & events like our recent "sunrun" and canucks games, of course. A bit tough to do without a car & you'll likely have more than enough to keep a couple of days busy.

...about my mom... refers to my 2 jobs...one in weather - the other being a mom.

A meteorologist - fascinating. I love all kinds of weather, unless it is dangerous. Within the last 3 weeks, here in E. Texas, we have gone from the 80's, to snow - wonderful, glorious snow (for a whole 3 hours):D , to a big storm with our local weather people broadcasting nonstop re: 60 mph. winds, hail, tornadoes, flash flooding, etc., but just as it neared us, it sorta fell apart. We had our storm closet ready (a hall closet). Anyway, you have a wonderful profession. And now to your questions.....we arrive in Vancouver about 1 pm, July 5, a Thursday, and leave on our cruise July 7. Upon ret., we will stay another night on July 14. We don't care for the club scenes, or nightclub type things. I like shopping, DH does not, we both love beautiful scenery, wildlife, etc. You have given me some great ideas and good sites to check out. Thank you so much for all your help. Your mention of the city bus.....do they probably have a stop near the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel??????? We really like the stop and go trolley and will study their schedule well. We probably won't care to do much in the city proper, but do as you said, and get away into the countryside more. Again, thank you for being such a great source of info. gg

Hi gg

I noticed a number of these buses around town today - just looked on their website & they do a similar thing to the trolleys - you might want to check them out. http://www.bigbus.ca/

both of these do stick to the city proper though ;) (I live way out in the burbs... the better part of an hours' drive in to work downtown each day) you'll feel like you're out of the city in some of our parks & on the beaches though!

at least you'll escape the heat & likely the storms while you're here... early july can still be a bit chilly (at least at night) with still a chance of a shower around (although it can be fabulous - warm & sunny)

we had a gorgeous day today http://www.katkam.ca/p.asp?what=large&fmt=f&f=20070423/20070423085000.jpg

I have relatives in Texas... I just can't get over how humid it is there!

Weathermom - it is Spring and today it got to 81 degrees with humidity over 80%. Right now it is 10:45 pm and 71 degrees with 80% humidity and a big chance for bad storms tomorrow. I love these temps......but soon, very soon, it will be in the 90's and ya'll, that is too darn hot, esp. with high humidity.....miserable. Our golden retriever just wants to lay on our brick floors under the ceiling fan. Where in Texas do your relatives live ?? Have you visited down here. Thank you for more great tips. I will check out each and every one of them and make notes. Love the picture - what a great day........I went back to the main page and saw a live cam of right now.......gorgeous. Thanks for all your time. :) gg

Archived