Driving to Port of New York

jbarboza4

Has anyone ever driven into the Port of New York and left their car, rather than rely on bus or train? Roundtrip busfare is pretty expensive from Cape Cod, so we're thinking of driving in instead. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

We drove from central MA last August and left the car there. It was a very easy drive all the way to the pier. The only problem we had was at the pier. I think we were in a traffic jam at the pier for 1-2 hours. It is not as easy as going to Black Falcon in Boston. I think we arrived when the bulk of passengers were exiting. The parking was actually in an open lot alongside the ship, not in a covered secure garage as in Boston. Last year the price was $15 a day. All that being said, we are doing it again in January. I think our problem was that there were several ships docked and we didn't know where ours was in the lineup (it was last). We got into the the wrong lane at the pier and were kind of trapped.

Thank you for the info - much appreciated!

Here is a link for NY Passenger Ship Terminal - parking is $24 per day. I would consider the NCL bus @ $50pp. Unless you have more then 4 traveling together it should be more cost effective then Gas, tolls, and Parking.

Once you put your bags on the bus you never have to touch them again until they arrive at your cabin. Let the vacation begin.

NY Passenger Ship Terminal

jbarboza4

We drove to the pier too, last October. We also got stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour. I think the parking charge had gone up to about $22 per day.

As moinma said I think the traffic depends on the number of ships in port that day, however I don't know how you can control that, so if you drive I think you have to be prepared to accept you might be sitting on the highway for a long time. I wouldn't start this drive with a low gas tank if I were you. On the other hand it was easier on debarkation I think ,to get out, if you had your own car than if you were waiting for a taxi or something.

We were aiming to arrive at the pier about 11:30 or 12:00 and due to traffic got there a bit later. You may miss the major traffic if you arrived later in the afternoon but I wouldn't want to advise you to do that, because I don't think the pier parking is unlimited . I'm afraid if you got there too late it might be full so I guess you just have to be prepared to sit in the traffic for a while.

I have taken the Chinatown Bus to NYC, Chinatown Boston to Chinatown NYC, it drops you off on Canal St. Its only $20 R/T.

I would take the NCL bus from Boston, $50 and you dont have to worry about taking the subway or a cab to the pier.

Patty

Archived