Kauai Question

asrubin

We are on POH in June and will be renting a car in Kauai for both days. We're planning on going to Waimea Canyon the first day. For the second day, we'd like to go to the lighthouse and see the birds. However, I'm wondering if we have enough time to do this. The lighthouse does not open until 10:00 and the ship leaves at 2:00. I'm assuming we have to be back on the ship by 1:30. Will we have enough time to go to the lighthouse, return the rental car, and get back to the ship by 1:30?

Thanks,

Ann

I think you will really be pushing it. You need to return your car about 1 pm to be back onboard for the 1:30 all aboard. Technically, you could do it, but you'd be watching your watch every minute (and most people stay at the lighthouse area for at least 1 hour). Assuming that nothing at all slows you down on the way back to Lihue, you could leave at 11:30 and make it. It's only about a 35 mile drive, but those are slow miles. If anything slows you down (construction, traffic, and accident, etc.), you could have a problem. It's entirely up to you, of course, but I think you'll find yourself fretting over the time.

beachchick

Why don't you go to the lighthouse the first day, and Waimea Canyon the next?

Leahcimp,

Is it much shorter of a drive to the canyon or is it mainly because you can get an earlier start and don't have to wait until the lighthouse opens at 10? Also, how much time should we allocate for a trip to the canyon with all the requisite stops for pictures etc at overlooks? I know beachchik indicated about 1-1.5 hours at the lighthouse. Thanks. We are trying to do both as well and are trying to figure out the best order. Thanks.

WB

The ship offers an excursion to Waimea Canyon on the second day, so it must be a "doable" drive. We had planned on driving to the Canyon on the first day after we drove all the way to Hanalei, but we ran out of time. We didn't have a car the second day so we tried to get on the excursion, but it was fully booked.

I don't remember where the gate was, but you really need to walk down to the lighthouse area to get a good view of the birds. If the parking lot itself is gated off, you won't be able to see much.

I think Waimea Canyon is definitely do-able the second day, just get an early start. The drive up to the canyon was actually pretty quick (maybe 45 min with a couple stops?), and you'll need another 30 min or so at the Waimea Canyon Lookout.

If I remember correctly, the airport will be on your way back to the ship, so just drop the car off and take the shuttle.

If you can, consult the Kauai Revealed book regarding the canyon visit. It had some good advice about which road to take (one takes you through tourist traps, the other is scenic).

Archived