How about every one offering 1 tip to fellow cruisers

john kaz

I think it would be a great idea if people could offer a tip or two from past cruise experience for other people to learn from. Shows to see, items to bring and not to bring, ways of saving money, how to check in faster, etc etc etc... My tip for now is bring a soft sided collapsible cooler. Great for bringing poolside to fill with ice or to go one the islands with to keep smuggled drinks cold. Packs very easily, and no one ever says anything....

Miracle bound April 2005

Remember that you will never see the people on the ship again so do things you would not do at home in front of co workers or your kids or your parents etc.. In other words let it all hang out. and have FUN.

ps research as much as you can about the port of calls and see what you want to do before you get there and even see if some tours offered by locals and not the ship would interest you

Whenever possible, plan your own port excursions!! This will save you so much money you wouldn't believe it. :) Never take the ships excursion, unless it's something you simply must do, and can't reserve it on your own.

DO NOT overpack. On my first cruise, I took way too many clothes but have now learned to mix and match items of clothing and shoes. And ditto to arriving the day ahead and then to the port early. Saves alot of stress and keeps you more relaxed and able to have fun!

Ditto on the posts about bringing sooo many clothes and don't worry about what the others are thinking of you what does it matter?They will never cross your path again.And don't try to keep up wiyh the Jone's.Also don't try to do EVERYTHING this will really stress you out.

Print some business cards with your name/cabin number/name of the cruise on it--using your computer's "publishing" program. It'll save your newfound friends the stress of them having to remember your name.

On a similar note, compose a couple of "thank you" cards on your 'puter [prior to your cruise] to your waiter/asst. waiter/steward. It doesn't take long...and is most appreciated.

Go with a good attitude, and you'll probably have a great time...

I know that makes a big difference for us. We also like to memorize the ships deck plans to familiarize ourselves with the layout prior to boarding

1. Make a copy of your driver license or passport picture; then

2. On the back of that page, write down your credit card numbers, and the phone # to call if they get lost/stolen; then

3. Fold that page around one not to be used credit card, and tuck this info in the ship's safe.

Bring around $20.00 in singles for the room service tips

Power strip ( one outlet in the cabin)

Over the door shoe bag works well for shoes or hair supplies

Book your own excursions ( tons of money to save here)

Use an old gift card for the room safe.

Pack a fellow cruiser in your suitcase!

Pack a fellow cruiser in your suitcase!

If you do that, please remember to poke an airhole...

[On a serious note, bring along a cheap air freshener and, if you're in an inside cabin, nightlight. My local "dollar store" sells wristwatches...which is the one I take on excursions. I leave the "good one" on the ship. Some of your toiletries--and other items--should be cheap/used enough to leave behind. Giving yourself room for souveneirs]

I bring along a few ziplock bags of all sizes. They're great for everything and they're water resistant and clear so you can see the contents.

Kiwikobe

RCL, Splendour of the Seas, 2004

Princess, Grand Princess, 2003

Orient Lines, 2000

Celebrity Horizon, 1994

Cunard Canberra, 1973

Bring patience! There will be lines at check-in. There will be lines at the buffet. Get to the shows as early as you can, there will be seat "savers", even though it's (supposedly:rolleyes: ) not allowed.

This one might be a "no-brainer" to some of us--but my sister-in-law didn't think of it and it made for a hassle at customs: Bring any prescriptions (or non-prescription) medications IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONTAINERS! (And in the case of prescriptions, make sure the label is legible.)

Oh yes, and just like traveling on an airplane, pack them in whatever luggage you carry on.

Pack a carry-on bag with a change of clothes, bathing suit, sunscreen and any items you may need throughout the first day and evening... your bags will generally arrive by dinner time, but sometimes later...

Don't drink the "free" tequila you get in the local shops in Mexico!!!!!!!! BF did and had montezuma's revenge!!! They water it down, using MEXICAN non filtered water.... be careful with that stuff!:D

Archived