How about every one offering 1 tip to fellow cruisers

john kaz

Remember that you will never see the people on the ship again so do things you would not do at home in front of co workers or your kids or your parents etc.. In other words let it all hang out. and have FUN.

NOT TRUE :) On our very first cruise we saw two people we knew from work. One was my husbands old boss and the other a co-worker (works in a BIG factory) We had NO IDEA that they were going on the cruise too.

Bring Downey wrinkle releaser and extra hangers.

Don't forget to fill out those leather luggage tags with your name and address (the ones that come with the luggage) saved us from a hassle when the cruise line tag had fallin off. our largest piece of luggage arrived late and thank goodness we had this filled out so they knew who it belonged to.

pack outfits for everyone in each piece of luggage incase one of them is lost.

We bring along snack-sized bags of chips and cookies. They come in really handy on shore excursions that don't include meals or on the deck on a sea day when you don't feel like getting out of your chair.

Also, we smuggle our own booze onboard(I know this isn't legal, thus smuggling) and this saves us alot of money!!!

Take Care,

Lisa T.

I try to coordinate one pair of dress shoes to go with all my dining room outfits. Saves room in the suitcase and according to my DH his back.

I always have all the best intentions of sending postcards back home to my friends while on the cruise - but even when I pre-print the addresses on computer labels I just never find the time. So on this last cruise I spent a few hours on-line at home picking out e-cards. I put little notes like - "Wish you were here" - hopefully nothing awlful will happen - like the ship sinking (just joking folks). I sent the delivery dates up so that they were spread out over the week. When I returned several people said how nice it was that I took the time to send them a quick note. I simply said your welcome and did not let on that I did them before I left. Of course all my CC friends now know my "trick" - but I think it's the thought that counts. If they had to wait on me doing something during the cruise they would be out of luck.

If you have a TBA cabin make up labels on the computer with all the important information so that when you get to the pier you can get the correct color tags - write on your cabin number - and slap them on the correct color tags.

Volunteer to be a "model" during the spa tours - for a free treatment.

I also advise all first timers to get to the port the day before. Less stress on departure day and you are well rested to check out the ship.

Sorry - more than 1.

An inexpensive night light- 99 cents from Walmart. Whether you have a room with a balcony or an inside room, this little light is great when you are away from home. It makes it much easier to find your way around the cabin at night.

Take the time to meet your fellow CCr's on the roll call board and on the ship. There are some really nice people here. At worst you'll meet a freindly face to say hi to as you pass each other on the ship, at best you'll make friends for life.

We pack disposal stuff..meaning about 1-2 months before our cruise, we start saving the almost empty toothpaste, shampoo, make up, hair spray etc..then we pack that for the cruise...toss the stuff at the end of the cruise and more room for stuff we bought on the islands..ditto for casual clothes for excursions/days at sea by the pool. We (I) pack old tee shirts, good but older sneakers and then after we finished the excursion on the island, we politely tell the operator that we are leaving behind shoes and tee shirts and that anyone who needs them are welcome to them. Then we put on thin flip flops and away we go...no wet clothes to deal with..no wet shoes to deal with.

I pack a large garbage bag in the outside zipper pocket of our suitcases. Before our Pride cruise back in 2002, I remember reading on Cruise Critic that people got caught in a rainstorm after disembarkment. Their luggage and clothing inside were soaked!

I havent had to use them yet...

my tip to a newbie......sail during the cheapest weeks of the OFF season and booking the cheapest 1A instead of a category 11 balcony....you can now do TWO cruises for the price of ONE......or else use the money saved to pay off credit card debts!:).....carrying $6000 credit card debt just isnt savvvvy:)....peace

Don't forget to pack patience, kindness, smiles, good attitude, and sunscreen. Things happen, and with these accessories, you can get through anything.

Dad always said to make something, you need the right tools!

I pack all my day's outfits in two gallon ziplock Baggies. T-shirt, shorts, underwear, socks. I get up before wife does. I grab a bag and head for the shower without having to turn on lights and disturb her. Also great for going through customs. Don't have to worry about them pawing through you luggage. They just pick up the bags and everything stays neat.

Always take our insulated travel mugs with us. I can take them to the Lido Deck first thing, walk around without spilling coffee and do my thing. When I think DW is up and about, I fill hers and refill mine, then head back to the room. When we order the drinks of the day, we use them to keep the drinks cold and not have to worry that they'll tip over and spill all over.

On Sea Days, learn to tell what time the majority of the people eat at the Buffet. Time your meals around them to avoid standing in long lines. A half hour one way or the other saves you a lot of time.

We both smoke so we take small plastic ashtrays with us. Sometimes ashtrays are hard to find on the Lido Deck. The ship's are black so we take beige ones so that Carnival doesn't think we're stealing theirs. ;)

Learn to let little things slide. If you approach the Purser with a problem, be nice to them. They've already dealt with a ton of irate people and if you treat them nicely, they will go out of their way to help you. Make a joke to them that you promise to be easier to deal with than their last customer. It has always worked for me. It seems as though every time I've ever had to ask a purser a question, the person in front of me was giving them a hard time. I approach them with humor and they have always been extremely nice back to me.

Here is a big don't. Don't spend the last day of your cruise feeling sorry for yourself because it's your last day. That ruins most people's cruises. Keep telling yourself that you have one day left to enjoy.

As a previous poster said, if at all possible, fly down a day early. You are then relaxed on your first cruise day. Board the ship early and get the feel of her before you set sail. Remember that you have paid for a whole day so the earlier you get onboard, the more bang you get for your buck.

We also spend a couple of days after the cruise at the port of embarkation. That way, it's not such a let-down. Get off the ship, head to a hotel, relax a little, see some more sights, then fly out a couple of days later. It's also easier to get flights when there isn't ships coming in or going out.

Another tip that we've found becomes useful is to fold our dirty clothes and re-pack our suitcases as we use them. For some reason, folded clothes takes up less space than just wadding them up. Again, we pack back in the ziplock bags and don't have to worry about customs pawing through our dirty underwear.

We make up labels ahead of time on our computer for anyone that we want to send a post card to. Don't have to carry an address book with us and those cards never have enough room to write out addresses anyway. Usually we beat the cards home but it's still the thought that counts. And there's nothing better than sending fellow workers back home a card that says "Sorry I'm here, Glad you're not!"

Pack an outlet strip, there is ONE outlet in your cabin.

Tie a bright red ribbon or similar on your suitcase handle so you can spot your luggage easily at the airport, and also in the luggage waiting area at debarkation.

Buy an underwater camera at home, they are more expensive on the ship.

Don't use the cruiseline shuttles, in most cases you can get to the port cheaper and easier on your own.

Don't buy the cruiselines insurance, you can get the same thing for much less at insuremytrip.com

Start taking seasickness meds BEFORE you embark on the ship. It's 100X easier to keep seasickness away than it is to get rid of it once you have it.

If you don't like your dinner selection, you can get something else. You can order two entress/appetizers/desserts any time.

The drinks of the day are twice as strong as "normal" foo foo drinks. Also, Smirnoff Ice is a good choice on a cruise, as there is no way for them to "weaken" it. ;) Buy buckets of beer, they are cheaper if you buy 4 at a time.

If you have any complaints at all about your cruise, be certain to contact the pursers desk. Do NOT wait until you get home and then expect them to compensate you if you never filed a complaint while on board. If you have a serious complaint, log it with the purser.

And most of all, don't lose your blue towel!!! :) Plus, on the last sea day, protect your blue towel with your life, because everyone that has already lost theirs will be looking to swipe yours.

In my experience, yes. Some of the drinks of the day that I've ordered have been so strong that I had to add more ice/mixer to them. The regular foo foo drinks that I've ordered are so weak I could barely taste the alcohol.

the ship usually has a great selection of shampoo, soap, lotions and things in the bathroom. i use them and save space in the bag. also i mix and match my clothes so i take up less space in the luggage. i also took a good book to read on the plane and on sea days. on the last day at sea i donated it too the ship library. someone else will enjoy reading it on their cruise.

[quote name='SUSANITA']In my experience, yes. Some of the drinks of the day that I've ordered have been so strong that I had to add more ice/mixer to them. The regular foo foo drinks that I've ordered are so weak I could barely taste the alcohol.[/QUOTE]
I agree with Sue on this. I found the same thing.

First and foremost take a sense of humor. I loved to hear the guys on our cruise at 4 am singing "Who let the dog's out". They didn't show their faces until 2pm.

I pack my shampoo, perfume, conditioner... in a plastic storage box, shoe box size, it not only protects anything that could crush in your suitcase but I found that when I arrived I pulled the box out and put it on a shelf in the bathroom under the sink. When I needed it I just pulled it up to the counter and used it. Kept things organized.

I also use the space bags for packing. They are great. Take some Zip strips. I put them on suitcases or whatever you can. That would let you know if someone is snooping in bags. Never found it to be the case.

Have a great cruisin time.

Even if you don't think you will get sea sick, take dramamine or bonine before you get on the ship and at least two days afterward. By then, your body has adjusted to the motion. I would rather do this then waste several days of my vacation feeling queasy! This will be our 12th cruise and it has worked like a charm on all of them! Also, don't make yourself crazy by trying to do everything offered. If you do, you will feel like you need a vacation from your vacation. Have fun!

Do any of you have a drawer of jumbled photos, like I do? No, make that DRAWERS!!!!

What I started doing on my cruises is... buy a photo album on board. Have your film developed while onoard. Their quality is usally good, and usually competitive in price. Then on the last night, after the kids are in bed, I reminisce about our week, place the photos and memorabilia (Capers, menus, etc.) in chrono order in the album, and on the plane ride home, we are laughing and enjoying the memories together.

Plus, no more jumbled photos in the drawer --- they are organized and ready to enjoy!

Can't wait to buy my new album in 20 days!

:p

Archived