Grumpy Grandpa & Lamanai? Ok for his new hip?

Crusintogether

Maybe carnival AltunHa/RiverWallce better? My Grandfather really wants to go to some ruins while in Belize. What would be the best "I'm taking my Grandparents" pick as far as safety, not too much sun and not too physically demanding? We are ok with either booking w/ Carnival or independently. He will not be hapy with a 'few grass covered mounds' , he has made that very clear!

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

The walk is not that strenuous. The trail has a few roots and rocks, but is generally pretty good. The ups and downs are mild.

There are definitely more than a few grass covered mounds. It is a nice tour. You are or can be in the shade of trees most of the time. I went in the summer and the heat and humidity were high, but staying out of the sun wasn't a problem.

As far as I know riverboat is the only way to get there. He will need to be careful getting in and out of the boat.

Otherwise I agree with the above post. The ruins are definitely picturesque. There is pretty good forest with giant strangler figs and tall palms, complete with troops of howler monkeys. Plenty of shade, although it will not be cool.

If he tries to climb the ruins that will test his hip.

As far as I know riverboat is the only way to get there. He will need to be careful getting in and out of the boat.

Otherwise I agree with the above post. The ruins are definitely picturesque. There is pretty good forest with giant strangler figs and tall palms, complete with troops of howler monkeys. Plenty of shade, although it will not be cool.

If he tries to climb the ruins that will test his hip.

Outside of actually climbing the ruins, the trail from the boat to the picnic pavilion is probably the steepest part of the trail.

Archived