Day pass for Bermuda Beach hotels?

ricruisers

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any of the Bermuda Hotels offering day passes to use their facilites? I know it is common on other islands, but haven't heard of any for Bermuda. Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

Yes, I contacted the Fairmont hotels as I've stayed there in the past and loved the facilities, but they said no as well. I was at least happy that I received a response. I figured it was worth a try. It is always nice when islands offer that as an option.

Thanks for the information. Too bad...Elbow would have been so nice, too. Luckily the public beaches are really nice.:cool:

While I haven't been to Bermuda (yet, I'll be there in Sept.), I've done a lot of research and from what I've seen/heard in the past 3 months is that all the beaches in Bermuda are public beaches - so I don't understand why you would need a day pass from a hotel. Except maybe to use the restrooms? Just curious...

While I haven't been to Bermuda (yet, I'll be there in Sept.), I've done a lot of research and from what I've seen/heard in the past 3 months is that all the beaches in Bermuda are public beaches - so I don't understand why you would need a day pass from a hotel. Except maybe to use the restrooms? Just curious...

I suspect those who ask about day passes have never cruised to Bermuda or researched Bermuda and are used to cruising to ports in the Caribbean like Jamaica where a day pass at a hotel can be a good thing to get. In Bermuda the public beaches are great and some of the best like Horseshoe Beach have restrooms and changing rooms.

In an old thread there was discussion about day passes and the Sonesta used to offer day passes for something like $50. But I agree with other posters in that unless there are specific things one would want a hotel for the public beaches, especially Horseshoe Bay, are more than adequate. And from Horseshoe you can wander over to the Southampton Princess beach area and grab their shuttle up to the hotel if you are inclined to have a nice lunch.

Thank you for those who wondered about the same thing, as it seems that it would be great if it worked out. In response to those who wondered why the thread was posted in the first place, I've been to Bermuda several times and love the public beaches, so I have much first hand knowledge and have done much research over the years, having stayed on the island. I'm not sure why someone would assume that one hasn't cruised there before, or been there before, based on a simple question that could benefit others. However, the reason I posted the thread originally is because although the public beaches are beautiful, and you can't go wrong with any of them, you can't beat the facilities offered by some of the hotels' private beaches. The South Hamilton Princess' beach is private and only for guests.

Here is what ELbow Beach has to say:

The beach at the hotel is only for Guests that are staying at the hotel and they are issued a beach pass, however there is the opposite side of the beach which is outside of the main entrance that is for the public.

Here is what ELbow Beach has to say:

The beach at the hotel is only for Guests that are staying at the hotel and they are issued a beach pass, however there is the opposite side of the beach which is outside of the main entrance that is for the public.

Last year I went to the beach there. There is a place that rents chairs and umbrellas that you can place on the beach away from the hotels beach area. I used the restaurant, bathrooms, and changing room of the Elbow Beach hotel. I also used the beach on the hotel side of the beach, just could not put my chair there. My opinion was that Horseshoe Beach is a much better beach. Elbow Beach was rocky in spots, and is not as pretty in my opinion as Horseshoe. There were a lot less people at Elbow but I would not return there.

When I left the beach, I walked through the hotel grounds and walked through the back door of th hotel and out the front to to get back to the bus stop. No one stopped me! I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of the hotel.

Also last year when I took a taxi tour we stopped at the beach at the Mid-Ocean golf course. We only got to look. Would have loved to use that beach but you have to be a member to use it. That was a gorgeous looking beach.

Thanks for the responses. It's great to get different ideas. Bermuda is so beautiful, and with limited time there on my cruise, it's nice to get ideas on the best places. I appreciate all the information.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you are mistaken. If you check the Beaches of Bermuda web site, you will find that some beaches are marked private and others are marked public. The public beaches are listed on the Bermuda map and those not listed there are probably private for the exclusive use of guests. Elbow Beach has a public area and a private section in front of the hotel. You might be able to walk or swim there but you can't use their beach chairs, umbrellas, pool or restrooms.

Archived