Tell me what's going to surprise the first time visitor to Venice & Florence.

What surprised you that you would like to share?

The canals of Venice with the beautiful palazzo's on them and David in Florence as well as the Ponte Vecchio(but not the jewlery shops..just seeing it as it must have been).

The canals of Venice with the beautiful palazzo's on them and David in Florence as well as the Ponte Vecchio(but not the jewlery shops..just seeing it as it must have been).

Karen:

Originally, there were butcher shops on the bridge. They wouls imply thorw the ofal into the river. I don't think you woudl enjoy "seeing it as it must have been."

BTW, jewlery shops have been there a long, long time.

Paul

With Venice it was the grand canal with its beautiful venetian buildings and the sound of the water lapping against the sides of the canal. Also the first sight of the costumed gondoliers singing away in their gondolas.

With Florence it was as another poster mentioned, turning the corner and seeing the Duomo for the first time. Also climbing the Duomo and seeing the wonderful view of Florence and the surrounding countryside.

I adore Italy and writing this makes me want to return as soon as possible. Hurry up September!

Jennie

Karen:

Originally, there were butcher shops on the bridge. They wouls imply thorw the ofal into the river. I don't think you woudl enjoy "seeing it as it must have been."

BTW, jewlery shops have been there a long, long time.

Paul

Oh I know what they were back in the day I just didn't want to go there..I was just trying to put the picture of the buildings themselves on the bridge before they became so commerical as they are today when you see it since it is the original.It's like someone here in the US going to Williamsburg say and thinking how romantic and pretty not realizing or thinking of the sewage that ran in the streets or all the animals kept in the beautiful gardens one sees today.

Where to start with Venice, one thing after the other is astonishingly beautiful, but after studying the Doge's Palace in Art History, I just wasn't prepared for its magnificance. It was stunning.

Also, Easter eve in St. Marks square was breathtaking.

We arrived by boat from the airport, I kept taking pictures, but I couldn't believe that it didn't stop! Just one magnificent picture after the other.

We also loved the smaller campos and calles. What a wonder.

Can't wait to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

After years of seeing photos of Venice or shows about Venice on TV, you think you won't be surprised the first time you are there...But, like a previous poster said, you cannot believe what you are seeing once you are there.

Many people say Venice is magical, and it is. But describing it as magical doesn't even give Venice its proper due. It is a place I could go back to many, many times and always discover something new.

I took more photos in Venice than anywhere else.....

Claudia

For me, the sight of Florence across the river from the Piazzale Michelangelo was the most breathtaking. As NAS-KARR said... I had seen pictures of it all my life, but for that to be my first experience was overwhelming. I'm a romantic so I have to admit that my eyes welled-up with tears at the view that morning. :rolleyes:

Venice is absolutely remarkable and what every poster has written is also a clear memory for me. But I'd have to say that the greatest surprise was the sounds (or better yet, the lack of sounds of motor vehicles) specially when you were away from the Grand Canal. It was like being back in time and Shakespeare could walk by me any minute.

GREAT picture maryutah - I sure hope you're going to share more, or a link to yours somewhere!!

Thanks Tina, we are in the process of reviewing/cropping and resizing our nearly 2000 pictures! My sister and I went nuts on our 2 week vacation and took mucho pictures. I'll post link when we get them up, for those interested.

Archived