Wind - Fanning Island - tenders

BrownPelican

My wife and I were on the Wind about 3 years ago and the tenders were running all the time. We found Fanning to be quite quaint. At that time I think the ships were just starting to stop there. There was not much of anything except a beach, Jail, and a really small hut store. Has this place changed yet? I have seen some posts on other boards of people not liking Fanning Island. My wife and I found it most beautiful. Just like a place that time left behind. The local tour cost $1.00 it was on a flat bed truck that about 10 people could sit on dangle their legs over the side and take a tour of the island. No seats no railings and NOT D.O.T. approved. How nice it was. There were many of the towns kids at the beach when we arrived. They looked at our son 6 yrs at the time, like he was from another planet. I guess they had not seen many kids from the US. The people seemed to be very happy and quite friendly during our brief stay.The beautiful bay with the nice private sailboats in it made for some great pictures.

Tom

Having been on the NCL Star twice in the past 16 months I guess I can give you some information on the tenders and Fanning Island in general. The tenders do run pretty much continuously to and from Fanning Island during the hours the ship is there. There is also a beach at another part of the Island which is called Napoli Beach. The cost was $20 in January when we were there, but it was a pristine beach and worth the cost. The tender took us directly there, where we spent a few hours and then we took another tender to the main part of the island where the lunch was served.

I think you will find that Fanning Island, while still very quaint and unspoiled has changed a little. The locals are making necklaces, trivets and other items out of shells. They are making hats out of palm fronds, carving turtles out of coconuts, knives out of shark teeth, etc. They sell them in a crude market setting. They are good prices.

We absolutely loved Fanning Island, which is why we took the cruise the second time. We are seriously considering taking the Wind this next year, so we can go to Fanning again. I am willing and eager to answer any other questions you may have. Joy

Having been on the NCL Star twice in the past 16 months I guess I can give you some information on the tenders and Fanning Island in general. The tenders do run pretty much continuously to and from Fanning Island during the hours the ship is there. There is also a beach at another part of the Island which is called Napoli Beach. The cost was $20 in January when we were there, but it was a pristine beach and worth the cost. The tender took us directly there, where we spent a few hours and then we took another tender to the main part of the island where the lunch was served.

I think you will find that Fanning Island, while still very quaint and unspoiled has changed a little. The locals are making necklaces, trivets and other items out of shells. They are making hats out of palm fronds, carving turtles out of coconuts, knives out of shark teeth, etc. They sell them in a crude market setting. They are good prices.

We absolutely loved Fanning Island, which is why we took the cruise the second time. We are seriously considering taking the Wind this next year, so we can go to Fanning again. I am willing and eager to answer any other questions you may have. Joy

Thanks for your comments! I just booked the Wind for 4/30/05 and wondered about Fanning Island. I like quaint and unspoiled, with just a nice beach and nothing much else! The local crafts sound good, too.

We have been to Hawaii several times, but this will be our first cruise there. We were also just on the Wind last Oct. after her refurbishment, so think she's fine. Looking forward to going back to Hawaii, after 5 1/2 years!

I was thinking the same thing (about the soccer balls). I'm hoping there will be a store at aloha tower or close by that will have them because I certainly don't want to pack them. I have already bought an assortment of school supplies at the $ store. Since school supplies are constantly used up, I don't know how this could be an unnecessary gift. Also, can someone tell us what $$ are needed on the Island?? We always like to carry enough small bills as the ship often runs out of 'change' when they're away from bank sources. Thanks for all your help. We're really looking forward to our 10/2/04 sailing on the Wind. :)

I'm so glad to hear that ya'll would be willing to take them some more soccer balls. It was sad because the younger children were just standing around watching the older teens play soccer with a really beat up old ball. I guess they did not have one of thier own. If I were to do it over again, I would take some deflated so they would fit in my suitcase and take a small pump to inflate them when I got there. I bet they could use a pump to re-inflate the soccer ball(s) they do have already. The children were so gracious, when we were leaving my son kick the ball to them and started walking away so they would know he wanted them to have it and they kicked it back. He then kicked it back to them a second time and they all went after it then. They were all smiles and kept saying thank you....oh, how I wished I had one for each one of them.

Unfortunately, there is no place to buy soccer balls at Aloha Towers that I saw, but if you dock in Kona before Fanning Island, you can take a free shuttle right from the pier to Wal-mart. It comes along every few minutes and is about a 10 minute ride.Wal-mart is on the side of a hill and has a wonderful view of your ship docked at the pier so be sure to bring your camera.

Yes thank you for the suggestion. I have also started buying school supplies to take (at .12 a pack for pencils now- who can resist?) to take. Not to mention the cheap prices on notebooks and such. Since I am starting almost a year ahead I fear I will have more school supplies than room!

Becky

Archived