Routes To Alaska/which Is Best?

SEPyle

I'm hoping Yukon/Murray will see this and offer some insight. Of course others who have experience, please help put this Mama's concerns to rest:

My 27 year old daughter and a friend are on on their way to Anchorage from Charlotte NC on their much awaited 'road trip'. Right now they are have made it to Utah, and will be stopping in Salt Lake City, visiting friends. They will then head to Seattle visiting more friends, then it's all Northbound! They both work for Princess/serving tables in the Dome train cars between Anchorage and Fairbanks. My daughter is very good behind the wheel, and I definitely have faith in her abilities. I'm sure as any parent understands, I will be going a bit crazy when they drive thru Canada; then on to the Yukon; and then on to Anchorage.

They have a AAA 'TripTic', but now that they are on their way, so I'm not sure which route they will be going. I just got online and checked out AAA's online 'TripTic'. It looks as AAA is routing them via Route 97 which seems to me takes them way East. Route 37 looks to me to be more direct and the same type of Hwy. So with all that said: Is there some reason it would be better to go way out of the way to take 97 instead of 37?

I checked out Murry's website, ExploreNorth, and theres' a fantastic guide that has some great camara cams. It looks as though even now the Hwys are in good shape.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

Sharon in Charlotte

I can understand the reoute via 97 as it uses a much less crowded customs check point into Canada. But if I were driving I would like to cross into Canada via Washington State 539 at Lynden then connect to Canada 5 to Hope, then go North on Canada 1, till it merged with 97 near Cache Creek....

The roads are good and well patroled, hope they have enough time to enjoy the trip.

Highway 37 (aka Cassiar Hwy) is less provided with facilities than the Alaska Hwy. Also I believe there are still some lengthy gravel portions, while the AK Hwy is now fully paved (construction zones notwithstanding.)

Thanks for the input...I was able to talk to my daughter as they were driving thru Idaho. She said she thought Hwy 37 was the Cassiar Hwy and said she heard it still has some sections unpaved, while shorter it takes longer. So your comments Gardyloo make sense. I also confirmed that their TripTic does route them via 97, so Jwjcmj I think I won't make any other suggestions, as their TripTic does have them routed with the other.

They don't have to be in Achorage till May 6th, so I think they are on target to not have to rush. She said they will only drive during daylight hours, so that does make Mama feel a bit better...I guess!:o I will feel much better when I get the call that they are safely in Anchorage!

Sorry I missed your post for a while - at this time of year I have very little time to spend here. Gardyloo is right about the Stewart-Cassiar - it's considered a back road (a particularly fine one) and has some gravel sections and far fewer services. AAA always routes via the Alaska Highway, which is in great shape as far as Haines Junction, then has some gravel through lengthy construction sections. I'm sure the girls will have a great trip - "daylight" is now about 18 hours a day.

Murray

Sorry I missed your post for a while - at this time of year I have very little time to spend here. Gardyloo is right about the Stewart-Cassiar - it's considered a back road (a particularly fine one) and has some gravel sections and far fewer services. AAA always routes via the Alaska Highway, which is in great shape as far as Haines Junction, then has some gravel through lengthy construction sections. I'm sure the girls will have a great trip - "daylight" is now about 18 hours a day.

Murray

Thanks Murry for calming a Mama's nerves! As I mentioned, Bethany is a really good driver, and so far has actually driven the whole way with her friend as navigator. They're now in Oregon staying with friends, then tomorrow will stay with friends in Seattle, then NORTH to Alaska!

Here's my next question. Last night I 'played' with some mapping programs and here's what I have come up with for possible options for each night. Please let me know if my choices for places to stay each night are actually good choices condidering construction/road conditions, etc:

1. Seattle to Prince George, BC 587.2 miles

2. Prince George to Muncho Lake, BC 651.9 miles

3. Muncho Lake to Whitehorse, YT 444.7 miles

4. Whitehorse, YT to Tok, AK 386.9 miles

5. Tok, AK to Anchorage 316.9 miles

If there are better choices, please feel free to share!

Thanks in advance!

Day 1 and 2 are too long given the roads they'll encounter. I'd suggest Seattle - Williams Lake - Dawson Creek (or Fort St. John), Liard Hot Springs, and Whitehorse as Day 1-4 to replace your 1-3. While Liard Hot Springs needs to be booked ahead a day or so (phone 250-776-7349 assuming they're hoteling), the others offer lots of options.

Murray

Day 1 and 2 are too long given the roads they'll encounter. I'd suggest Seattle - Williams Lake - Dawson Creek (or Fort St. John), Liard Hot Springs, and Whitehorse as Day 1-4 to replace your 1-3. While Liard Hot Springs needs to be booked ahead a day or so (phone 250-776-7349 assuming they're hoteling), the others offer lots of options.

Murray

Thanks so much Murray! I'm really grateful knowing from someone who 'knows', the best stop off points. Now she'll have the info needed to make good plans on where to stay!

Decided to check in and give an update of my daugther's journey to Anchorage. Murray, I gave her your suggestions, but of course our youth, don't always go by our recomendations!

After making it to the west coast from Charlotte (actually her friend Lisa drove up to Charlotte from Ft. Meyers FL); and they drove across our beautiful country and stayed a couple days with friends in Seattle. Then they begn their Northbound adventure:

Day 1: Seattle with expected first night ending up in Prince St. George. They ended up getting to Prince St. George with plenty of sunlight and energy pushing them northward. When she called me the next day she said she didn't really know how far they got, but slept on the side of the road. I asked if it was cold and she said that it was pretty cold. GRRRRR...she knew Mama didn't want them to choose that option??? We talked a couple minutes and as I was saying goodbye I pleaded and asked her to please not stop on the road again, but to please stay in a motel. She said: Mom, that's not a problem - it was really cold last night! I let out an sigh and said bye/God Bless and Keep You/and I love you!

Day 2: They stayed at a motel in Watson Lake. Mama was happy!

Day 3: They made it as far as Tok, AK with a not too long last day to Anchorage.

Day 4: Bethany was really a bit disappointed when the last day her friend wanted to drive. So Lisa drove a total of 4 hours and Bethany drove the rest: From Charlotte NC to Anchorage!

They had quite an adventure and loved seeing Bison and Caribou on the road as they drove along. I asked what part she didn't like and there wasn't a moment hesistation when she said: Frost Heaves! Murray, I read about them on a link from your web site and Bethany asked what they were. Now that her trip is a memory, she will never forget the Frost Heaves!

So thanks for the suggestions and reassuring words for a Mama who worried a bit too much!

Archived