noordam & Queen Mary 2

craigtomer

Been on the QM2 and its very gay friendly. Cunard and its Queens have a loyal gay following so you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

As for the Noordam? I haven't yet had the pleasure of that particular ship but I have heard that it is also gay friendly. I have sailed on HAL (different ship obviously) but encountered no problems.

I think you booked two wonderful cruises. Enjoy and be yourself.

David

Thanks for all the info!! We are contacting our TA today and will make a desicion between Noordam and QM2. I have a feeling we will go with QM2 since we heard such great things about it. beaner1985 we let you know if were on the same boat. where are you from? were from nyc.

Tomer & Craig

Explorer of the seas Oct 2006

Explorer of the seas Nov 2005

Seranade of the seas Dec 2004

My mother was on Noordam out of NYC a few weeks ago and said there was a FOD meeting on the first day that had a few couples in it, and none afterward. I'm sure that has everything to do with who was on the ship at the time and not its gay friendliness. Between QM2 and Noordam, I would look at other criteria to draw a distinction, because either one is going to be as gay-friendly as a mainstream cruise can get.

Hello, we are from South Florida but travel to NYC quite often. we cruise alot but have never been on the QM2. Can not wait! Lots of ports of call we've never been to. Hope you sail with us.

Thanks for all the info!! We are contacting our TA today and will make a desicion between Noordam and QM2. I have a feeling we will go with QM2 since we heard such great things about it. beaner1985 we let you know if were on the same boat. where are you from? were from nyc.

Tomer & Craig

Explorer of the seas Oct 2006

Explorer of the seas Nov 2005

Seranade of the seas Dec 2004

My partner and I (20 years - we were 12 when we met! ;) ) sailed the QM2 in January 2006 and Noordam January 2007, both out of New York for 11/12 day intineraries. We have already booked the QM2 again for a short Halifax over Labor Day and again in Jan 2008 for a longer Caribbean. The only reason we took Noordam this January was that the timing worked out so well to get away and QM2 was not doing the Caribbean. She was on a "South America/Round the World" which was too long and too far away.

Holland America is a very elegant line and the Noordam was a beautiful ship. Excellent service and a very enjoyable cruise. In all our years of sailing, I must say that Noordam had the MOST organized events. Lots of gay couples & some singles. Most of this organization was due, in large part, to the pro active efforts of the fabulous piano player Randall and the wonderful Disco DJ "Jazzy". The number of couples may have been plentiful due to the dates of the sailing and I don't know if Randall & Jazzy will still be on board.

On the other hand, QM2 is such a spectacular ship with such history behind her. We still met a TON of people on board and ended up with quite a friendly goup. As Bramcruiser points out Cunard is very gay friendly and you are on the "Queens" (Puleeese!) There were a few initial FOD meetings, but after a couple days folks seemed to just find each other. There is an elegant little room called the "Boardroom" (fireplace, classic sofas - Highly recommended!) adjacent to the Commodore Club that we sort of took over each night as our group's "pre dinner" cocktails, etc with often 8-10 or more guys in attendance plus one adorable str8 couple that preferred to hang out with all of us. We were in the Britannia Restaurant and the three story main room is amazing, the food selections seem endless with so many dining options. There are lots of cosy corners to hide away with sofas or traditional deck chairs and the classic ocean liner design makes you feel you are on a true period ship, yet she's so modern in other ways. The whole tone a little more laid back and not so "in your face" as other cruise lines can be.

We can't wait to get back on board! Hope this was helpful!!

Bob

Congratulations on choosing the QM2. She's a beaut and you'll notice the difference between a true ocean liner and a cruise ship after 24 hours on her. HAL is a nice line as well but I agree with those who say that there is just such a history behind the QM2 and Cunard. Cunard is very gay friendly and I think you two will have a blast on her sailing to the Caribbean.

David

Oh and I answered your dress code question on the Cunard thread. Hope it helps.

Archived