POA April 8-15 A different perspective

actingfish

This will be a brief review of our cruise on April 8 on Pride of Aloha. Let me start by saying I'd go back tomorrow (now that I have caught up on sleep) if I could!!! What a wonderful vacation we had!!!

We have cruised twice before, once RCI and once Carnival. I read these posts daily for a few months, and they were extremely helpful. Had some concerns about food, service, etc but figured we'd have a great time anyway.

First of all let me say that for us at least, the cruise ship staff were wonderful!!! We probably had the cheapest cabin on the ship (indoor for three) and our room steward cleaned twice daily, greeted us and asked about our day every evening. She even straightened my clothes out if needed! The staff were helpful, funny and friendly every time we spoke. My son was enlisted to dance the YMCA 80's show and made friends with one of the crew. Numerous people offered to help us find our room the first day. My fear was sullen staff and for whatever reason we did not see any.

Now the cabin could have been designed better. We had to literally climb over my 16 year old son's bed to go to the bathroom or out, but that was pretty minor. We didn't stay there much. The gentle rocking of the ship compensated for the hardness of the beds so we slept well. But, I would bring my own pillow next time.

Food did not seem as fancy as the other lines, espescially at night. BUT, the breakfast on deck included the best waffles ever, or omlettes, or eggs benedict and great fruit selection. I do have some issues with paying another fee to eat in the specialty restaurants, but we did twice and the food was better - more in line with the other cruise lines. So that is a choice folks just have to make for themselves. I will say that I'd imagine anyone could find something they like at any of the places to eat and we were very satisfied with our meals. Oh! and they have trays now at the buffet.

As far as Hawaii. . . all I can say is wow!!! It was incredible. We snorkled a lot, did Captain Zodiacs, and Four Winds, VNP, Ioa Valley, Poi Pu beach, Waimea canyon, Black Rock, Honalua beach, Lahaina, etc. Rented cars everywhere but Kona. Saw spinner dolphins, whales, a monk seal (on the beach with us), tons of fish, and breathtaking scenery. Had dinner on the ship one night with a lovely Hawaiian couple who taught us much. What a great way to see more of Hawaii than one island. The ship was also a good cultural resource.

Occasionally I thought service could have been a little faster at dinner, but again no big deal. We went to some of the shows. . . Broadway review, magician, two comic acts. They were good, but to be honest we were getting up and 6 and going nonstop, so I got sleepy at some of them.

I don't want to negate what anyone else experienced at all, but must say that the ship seemed pretty and clean to me. We had great interactions with the crew, and felt enriched and relaxed by the whole trip. Like I said I'd go again tomorrow if I could.

and thanks again CC folks. I only visit here when planning cruises but it is always helpful.

this will be our 4th ncl cruise, and the 2nd already this year. and the POA have us a little worried but we havent been to hawaii in 27 years and it will be nice to find my high school

Donna

we will have a good time we are sure,

5-5-07

I appreciate the insight. We sailed RCCL from Hawaii to the west coast and we both agreed that next time we would prefer to spend those 4 sea days in Hawaii and fly both ways. That's why I am glad NCL offers cruises that stay in the Hawaiian Islands.

Thanks for providing the different perspective.

We'd read a lot on here before we went on the Pride of America, and we had a great time.

In the past few weeks, however, I've been reading with alarm all the posts about the Aloha's lack of service. I am so glad to hear you didn't have that problem.

Once again, thanks for providing the other side of the coin.

Archived