Certification needed

MICHE99

I am planning on either snorkeling or diving on a southern Caribbean cruise next spring. Should I look into getting certification for myself and my 15 year old daughter or just do whatever is allowed without the certificate?

It would depend on several factors, cost being one of them. Frequency of diving would be another. If you are considering getting certified with plans to dive again after the cruise, then there would be a better reason to spend the money on certification. If you think that this cruise is likely to be the only time you will have the opportunity to dive, then getting certified for just a couple of dives would be pretty expensive on a per dive basis, probably more than is justified. I the second scenario is more likely, just do the Discover Scuba dives.

How expensive is getting certified? Is it also very time consuming?

When I did it about 10 years ago it cost about $300 which included purchasing fins, goggles, and snorkel. It takes about 10 - 12 hours of classroom work plus a few confined water dives (i.e. in a pool). After that you have to complete 4 open water dives (i.e. ocean) to become certified. If you find a local shop you can do all of the class work and pool dives before your trip then take proof you completed the course and arrange to do the ocean check off dives on one of your port days. That is probably the best way to do it and not terribly expensive.

ETA: When I did it it took 2 weekends, the first weekend was the classroom work and pool dives, the second weekend was the ocean dives. So you could do it in one weekend before your trip.

As to whether you want to get certified it depends on if you plan on diving in the future. I think if you are wanting to go diving on future cruises or vacations it is a good investment. You will get much more comfortable with the equipment and breathing underwater in the pool which makes the transition to the ocean much easier.

You can do it in two weekends. For everything, $300 is about right. I'd do it as close to the cruise as possible, if not, then do a refresher (usually around $50, either just before or even on the boat if you have a sea day prior to the stop you want to dive at.

If you just want to try SCUBA, then by all means, do a discovery dive, but if you really want to see stuff, I'd recommend getting certified.

Interesting. Thank you for the info. I did an introductory dive many years ago in St. Thomas and enjoyed it but I was thinking that we might see more if we were certified. I am thinking about this because my next cruise goes to Aruba, Dominica and Bonaire and I hear that they are perfect places for diving. That said, I most likely would not dive again for two years since we generally only cruise every two years.

I got certified by chance. Five (or was it 6) years ago I got lasik surgery and can see without glasses. Then 4 years ago my wife and I went to a Beaches resort in Jamaica. Diving was included. So I took the resort scuba training and went out diving. The dives were shallow, 37-42'. I liked it a lot and the DM said if I wanted to dive deep, I need to get certified. I did, got my book, table, and the 4 OW dives there.

One year after that I thought I should keep up with the diving, so we went to a Beaches resort in Cuba that also included diving. I got two shallow dives, and the shop said I need Advanced OW certification before I can dive deep. Bummer I thought, then later found out they must have thought my NAUI Scuba Diver certification (which is OW) is like the PADI Scuba Diver certification (which is 1/2 way to the PADI OW certification). Anyway, I got to do 2 deep dives with another shop there.

Then 2 years ago we went on a cruise in Hawaii. I decided to get AOW (+nitrox) certified then. Then I got hooked on cruising, and we went to W. Caribbean cruise and I dove in Crystal River, Rainbow River (n of Tampa), then ports of Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and G Cayman.

Some places charge $150 to do the intro scuba. If you do that 2 times, it's almost the same cost as doing an OW certification. You might as spend a bit more effort and get certified. Even if it's two more years before the next cruise/dive, you can still get a refresher on the first dive of the trip, then you can get the usual 2-tank diving for $70-100, rather than $100-150 for intro scuba.

Maybe if you get certified you'll find reasons to cruise/dive more (like I did), and enjoy it a lot.

We are cruising at the end of May. Our 3 teens are doing the certification classes (classroom and pool) through our local dive shop. DW and I are already certified. They are offering it in a special 3 day class, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Cost is $225. They can provide equipment to use but that price doesn't include the cost of buying any equipment. Then our kids will do referral dives while on the cruise with local dive shops to complete the certification process and get their C-card. We decided that for us it's worth the investment to make sure everyone has some competency before ocean diving.

Be careful with that approach. I hope it works for you, but in most cases, they like to do all four OW dives with the same operator if possible.

I tried to do that with Princess, and with their new waves program, they actually had a dive instructor on the boat. We did a refresher dive in the pool during the first day.

The actual open water dives were scheduled in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Both ended up getting cancelled due to high seas. So I ended up doing my open water when I returned home.

Can't very well do 4 ocean dives at the same place while on a cruise of single day port calls. We're planning on 2 dives in G. Cayman and 2 in Roatan. I've already discussed it and booked with the dive shops there. If something happens and we can't get them in, we also have a full day in Costa Maya. Worst case scenario, we have to finish up in quarries in our area when we return. I have no worries about it.

We did a discover type course in Mexico over 25 years ago. Training was horrid and a lot of the 1st time divers couldn't equalize, had ear pain, etc. I assume that is not the case with those offering discover scuba courses now, but we're opting for more training for our kids rather than less - and we're really looking forward to being able to dive together. :)

My husband and I are trying to determine the best way to get certified by June-few weeks away. Any advice on our situation would be appreciated. We have done the resort courses several times before and were planning on it again, but a dive operator put the idea in my head to get certified while we are diving in port. We found a gread dive shop in Florida that we can do book work through ahead of time. When we are there for our pre-cruise stay, they can finsih the book/poolwork and off we go to finish open water in cozumel and costa Maya. However, the dive instructor thought we would be too rushed to do dives in ports and should just complete all through him in our 3 days in Florida. Also, one Cozumel dive shop operator told me that she would never split up the open water dives. The Florida shop can get us the entire certification before we leave on cruise, but we would not have any time to see Florida and then we are going to pay for more dives on cruise? Has anyone been certified in different ports?

The option to try to do the OW certification before the cruise trip is a good one. The next best is to do all the course work, then the referal dives while on the cruise trip. That way you avoid having to do intro or resort dives at each place, at a much higher cost, and probably not very good shallow dives.

reddi, in G Cayman, a few hundred yards south of the cruise terminal (I walked it in a few minutes) you'll find Eden Rock Dive center. There is farily good shore dive right there. You can get two cheap referal dives there. Heck, you can stay and do more dives, but then that doesn't leave you much time to see the rest of G Cayman, including Stingray sandbar. But at least you can consider that shore dive option with Eden Rock.

Before the Eden Rock dive center, there is also an Abanks dive stand. They rent gears, and if arranged before-hand, supposedly also have DMs available. When I tried to email them beforehand, they did not respond, so I cannot vouge for that. I did do a good shore dive there by renting gears from them though.

2bboatgal, the idea to do the OW cert. in Florida, pre-cruise is also good. There are advantages to do all the OW cert. dives with the same instructor because s/he can see your progress. You really only need two mornings to do that. That is, two trips of 2-location dives. In each case you'll still have some time to see Florida. I've heard the diving in Miami is not bad. But Key Largo is supposed to be much better, if you plan to go that way. Last year we took the Carnival Miracle (now switched to Legend) out of Tampa. We flew in 2 days before and drove north to Crystal River. There we did manatee snorkel, and I dove at King's Bay (Crystal River) and also drift-dived in Rainbow River. So depending on where the cruise begins, there could be good diving near the ship's home port.

I just got NAUI certified. Class was $300 and lasted two weeks. The schedule was:

Week 1

Mon - Classroom

Tue - Pool

Thur - Classroom

Week 2

Mon - Pool

Tue - Classroom

Thur - Pool

Sat - Beach dives

Sun - Boat dives

I spent almost another $300 on necessary equipment in the shop. I would highly recommend buying your gear in advance and for much less.

Mask $60

Fins $80

Dry Snokle $40

Weight Belt $20

Weights $20

Booties $25

I still need a few things. If you buy your own reg and BC, the cost goes up considerably. My Brother gave me his BC, so I'll probably just rent anything else I need.

So it costs about $600 for the minimum.

Thanks Middleager,

We are planning to use Eden Rock in G.C. and Stuart Freeman has been excellent in responding promptly to e-mails. We are actually going to do an 8:30 am excursion with Captn Marvins to see the Stingrays that returns by 10:30, then walk to Eden Rock. That gives us a lot of flexibility and from all I've heard frm posters to these boards, some very nice shore dives to introduce the kids to ocean diving. It'll be a busy day.

I'm sure you can find a local dive shop in California that can get you through relatively quickly. I know here in Denver my girlfriend is doing it over two weekends. The first weekend is the pool work and the 2nd is the open water dives. So, she starts on May 4th and will be certified by the 13th.

BTW, I have found that weights and a weight belt (if you are not using an intergrated BC), are provided on virtually every dive trip/class as part of the cost.

There are some great dive shops in Ft. Lauderdale that can do your open water dives if you want to do it that way as part of your pre-cruise stay.

I just got NAUI certified. I spent almost another $300 on necessary equipment in the shop. I would highly recommend buying your gear in advance and for much less.

Mask $60

Fins $80

Dry Snokle $40

Weight Belt $20

Weights $20

Booties $25

On everywhere I went, all the shops would have weight belt and weights. 99% of those provide them free, when you go diving with them. The only one shop that I saw, charged something like $2 for renting the belt, and something like 25c for each piece of weight in the price list. Even in that one I'd be interested in how they go about charging them. Unless you will be driving, and doing your own dives (not with a shop), then there will be no need bo buy weight belt or weights.

I've bought most of my gears on-line. Leisurepro is one good place I've bought with good price, and some others. I've bought a good mask there for about $42, the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins for $35, and some other camera gears. The combined shipping wasn't a lot. From elsewhere got a few dry snorkels for $20/ea, plus shipping. Also bought a full 3mm wetsuit for $65 (on clearance) + $10 shipping. And a few other things...

Some people say they buy at the local dive shop, to support them, even though it's at a higher price. I don't dive where I live (Toronto). Even on summer days, the local dive shop told me when they go to Lake Ontario, people need to wear 6mm inside, and 6mm outside, wear 30lbs of weight, and need an Advanced certification before they take you down, to about 60' depth there. You will see muddy water, little fish, maybe some sponges. Wow, not too exciting to me. I prefer to dive in warm water locations and see lots of fish and coral growth. So I don't have a need to "support" local dive shops.

Congratulations for getting the certification. But the gears can be bought for less.

Excellent choice. Do you need suggestions for an operator?

Thanks!!! I saw your suggestion for Dive with Alison, but she is already booked. We were considering Sand Dollar Sports because they had a double beginner boat dive to a reef, so not just a beach dive like we did before with them on our last cruise. I'm definately open to other suggestions.

Lisa

I'm definately open to other suggestions.

Lisa

http://www.travelnotes.cc has 2 discover scuba trips from 2 different operators. One is a shore dive and the other is a boat dive. Even though it cost more, I'd pick the boat dive as I think you'd see more. Both operators are respectable.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com also does discover scuba dives. Many cruisers like them.

www.travelnotes.cc has 2 discover scuba trips from 2 different operators. One is a shore dive and the other is a boat dive. Even though it cost more, I'd pick the boat dive as I think you'd see more. Both operators are respectable.

www.eagleraydivers.com also does discover scuba dives. Many cruisers like them.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!1 I will check it out. One of the ones offered on travelnotes is AquaSafari which is a 5 star PADI shop and a boat dive to boot!:o

... But the gears can be bought for less.

Sorry that's what I was trying to say. Buy it in advance for much cheaper than at the dive shops. My brother got a nice reg for $70 at a pawn shop recently, so I'm going to try and start hitting them up sometimes. If I had bought my stuff in advance online I would've saved probably 20-30% at least!

Archived