Carnival ground transportation, a mistake?

Janespup

We did Carnival's transfer from FLL to the port of Miami last year. The Carnival rep met us at baggage claim. We carried our luggage out to the sidewalk and waited about 30 minutes for the bus to show up. Then, they allowed us to board the bus while the driver loaded our luggage. Once we got underway, the driver pointed out a few things, but not much of any interest to anyone, and gave us a schpeel about how tipping is appreciated (expected) and that we could give him our tips as we exited the bus (even though our Carnival documents specifically said gratuity was included). We all sat on the bus (which by the way, had dirty windows-that's about all I remember about the actual bus-just that the windows seems to have some kind of film on the outside of them) while he unloaded our bags, then when he did leave us off, he stood there with his hand out. We tipped him again, then gave our bags to the porters, which obviously, required another tip.

We are flying into FLL again in 3 wks for our Victory cruise out of Miami, but this year, we're brining the kids along. Carnival wanted $60 pp for round trip fare (total of $240+tipping the driver again). I booked us a 6 passenger limo round trip for a total of $233 including gratuties. Not much cheaper, but will be a nice experience for the kids, and we wont have to listen to a 45 minute sales pitch!

• 1 month later...

As I had suspected, this bookling had been a mistake. The person who met us (I should say, "The person who we eventually found) was so vague that we were unsure if we were even on the right bus when leaving the airport. On debarkation, we had waited for all self- assist people to get off and then went to the shuttle bus. There were about 15 people on board when we arrived, at 8:05 am. We waited until 9:30 for the bus to be full! what a waste of time! Next time, I will take a cab.

Jane

It wasn't this particular airport/port...as we usually use the bus service from Orlando to Port Canaveral since the hotels are cheaper near the airport. We shuttle to the hotel the night before...and head back the next morning. We've done this twice now and missed the first bus both times...though we've been there inbetween 9:30 and 10AM. It might be possible that the time on the shuttle service is as flexible as the check in times for the cruise sometimes are.

I booked everything through Carnival even though it cost a few dollars more. Thay way if there's a problem, I feel that it will be handled better. No one will be sending me to the other guy to take care of things. Kinda like the computer/internet problems. The computer customer service says it's an internet provider problem and the internet provider says it's a computer problem. No thanks.

We felt that it was the safest way to ensure that we were in Carnival's hands in case of a delay. Maybe the ship woud wait if a carnival bus is delayed as opposed to another type of shuttle or taxi. Luanne

If you are coming in early, I don't see how you could have a delay in getting to the port.

It is about a 1/2 hour ride, if I recall correctly.

I booked everything through Carnival even though it cost a few dollars more. Thay way if there's a problem, I feel that it will be handled better. No one will be sending me to the other guy to take care of things. Kinda like the computer/internet problems. The computer customer service says it's an internet provider problem and the internet provider says it's a computer problem. No thanks.

Don't bet on it ! There are many stories about people with Carnival air who missed their vacation. Remember, the airlines and bus companies are just rented out so to speak. If you read your contract, you really gain no rights by using Carnival air & transfers.

But, if it makes you feel better.....

no to freek any one out ,but we have done the carnival transfer twice from fll to miami,and it is really unorganized going to port and even worse coming home.

it just takes along time to get on the buses.and the carnival reps dont seem to now when or were the buses will arrive.

they will get you there but just be ready for the wait,

the only other thing that buged me was that the driver does not work for carnival ,and when you get to the miami air port he is very stern about people waiting on the bus until he unloads your luggage.now the reason he does this is that he arranges the bags in a way that theres a path between the luggage that walks you rite buy were he is standing with his hand out for a tip.

if you dont get the hint he will tell you that a tip is expected.

i always tip but dont loke being told when and were to do it.

now that you now what to exspect you can just go with it and have a great time,

again i hope i didnt scare anyone im just trying to help.

have fun:D

I would walk to the port before I would endure that.

I have never understood folks paying hundreds of dollars for a cruise, then freaking out over a taxi/limo bill to get to the port.

Last time I flew into FLL for a POM cruise, I booked a limo. There were 8 of us. It was much cheaper than Carnival transfers and left quick. Got to the POM quickly so we beat the traffic jam.

Hi everyone,

When I booked my cruise, I also booked round trip ground transportation from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami port. I have just now read on Carnival website that the shuttle service doesn't begin until 11:30 am, although my plane arrives before 10. I certainly did not plan to spend 90 minutes at the airport waiting for the bus to fill up! Has anyone had any experience with this? Will they leave earlier if full? Can I cancel the shuttle and get other transportation that could be cheaper and/or quicker? Thanks in advance.

Jane

Have you passed final payment if not cancal your transfers. I've done both. Getting in that early you just want to get to the port. We used Carnival the first time and since, we booked a limo to take us. See East coast port of call boards. On the way back we just grabed a van. I don't like waiting for the bus to fill up. You could be on the ship by the time the first bus filled up and left if all goes well. The shuttle doesn't start until 11:30 so, they don't have to deal with any of those people untill 12:30-1:00. The suggestion to rent a car would be good to if you don't mind driving in heavy, strange traffic which I would.

Lizardhowson the above about tipping happens at THE port. MIA is the worst. Bus drivers will stand in your way to try to get a tip out of you. But, the "handlers' give you a had time also. So, walking wouldn't help much.

We made it to the ship with no problem, but my concern was just in case of a delay by an interstate wreck that would stop traffic, or waiting at the airport for the bus to fill up. Also if the cruise before us was late getting in due to bad weather or mechanical failure, our shuttle buses brought back the previous cruisers to FLL. If they were delayed, then that might have delayed us. Heck, even the bus could have broke down too. As a matter of fact, the shuttle before us had luggage doors that didn't close very good. We expected to see suitcases all along the highway since we followed them:) .

We were sure glad that they were too full for us. We saw the way the bus driver sort of closed the door but not very tight.

Luanne

Tri County Airport Express

Sample shared ride rates from FLL

Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotels$ 9.00 to $15.00Pompano Beach$15.00Deerfield Beach

$15.00Boca Raton

$18.00Hollywood Beach

$11.00Miami’s South Beach

$18.00* See representative or contact us for additional rates. Some luggage restrictions apply.

Because we are not familiar with Miami and its transportation means, my wife and I booked ground transportation through Carnival. We did the same last year when we booked on the Spirit out of San Diego. Upon arriving in San Diego, we did have to wait 1) for the bus to arrive 2) roughly 30-40 minutes after boarding to depart the airport. In 10 minutes we were at the Pier with the Spirit in sight!

We are going on the Spirit again this year as well. However, I will now use a taxi to get to the pier from the airport.

Once I feel comfortable with the geography of Miami, I will use other means of transportation to get from the airport to the pier. It is just for the first time that I want everything to go right when I am in an unfamiliar city.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I use a really good company from MIA to POM. They are taking 7 of us for $55.00 each way. We decided to add a little tour to South Beach on the way back to the airport and they are charging $55.00 p/h. So for 3 hours it will only cost us 165.00. If we did Carnival's equivilant tour it would be approx $39.00 p/p. That is a decent savings and we can do our own thing. And I am very comfortable with the company.

Archived