Is it crazy to take a shortie to South Carib?

cheleh

We're going snorkeling in the South Caribbean next week - April 29- May 9th. Will I need a shortie wetsuit?

- I was cold snorkeling in Hawaii (in December), Coz in November

- What's the surface temps like in the islands we're going to - we plan to get in the water pretty much every day: St Lucia, St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, San Juan, St. Martin)

If I bring a shortie to the South Carrib, would it be overkill? Am I gonna be the only one out there with a wetsuit on? - yes, it's the vanity talking! :) We're taking buses & taxis so it's a little inconvenient to carry it around w/ the fins, mask, snorkel, towels, etc.)

Instead of a bulky wetsuit, you might want to try a dive skin. Thinner material, very lightweight, but can help with warmth in the water. Fast drying too. I don't think I would want to try to lug around a heavy damp wetsuit along with towels and snorkel gearl. :eek: :)

I wouldn't worry about how you look. I see all kinds of outfits in the water - who cares as long as you are warm and comfortable. Getting chilled from being in the water too long is no fun.

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/ONeill%20Short%20Sleeve%20Thermo%20Rashguard/Dive%20Skin_ID7803

I bought a 3mm full wetsuit for my trip last Aug. I also have long sleeve dive skin top and dive skin pants. Note, dive skin does NOT provide warmth. It provides protection against jelly fish, and sunburn.

In Belize my dive skin was good enough. In Coz I used the wetsuit. In Costa Maya I used dive skin for the first dive, but felt it wasn't enough. Our SI was back at the beach, so I wore the wetsuit for the 2nd dive there. In Cayman I again wore my wetsuit.

Some people get colder easier than others, so it is a more individualized preference. In Jamaica and Cuba, I saw most DMs wearing wetsuit, some shortie, some long.

I had bag with roller, and it's no problem hauling the gears with wetsuit.

We're going snorkeling in the South Caribbean next week - April 29- May 9th. Will I need a shortie wetsuit?

- I was cold snorkeling in Hawaii (in December), Coz in November

- What's the surface temps like in the islands we're going to - we plan to get in the water pretty much every day: St Lucia, St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, San Juan, St. Martin)

If I bring a shortie to the South Carrib, would it be overkill? Am I gonna be the only one out there with a wetsuit on? - yes, it's the vanity talking! :) We're taking buses & taxis so it's a little inconvenient to carry it around w/ the fins, mask, snorkel, towels, etc.)

as of right now the water temps in St Thomas are 84' degrees. I snorkeled in Cozumel in Jan and the temp was 80 and I was cold at first but, I got use to it.

If your JUST snorkeling then I wouldn't bother with a shortie... more then likely, I would have a simple rash guard on to keep from getting sun burned.

Now diving would be a different story as your underwater for up to 45 minutes and that can send a chill through to the bones.

Archived