What next for Sea Diamond passengers?

AEsco48

Hello, im new here....

My father and mother as well as 4 other family members were on the Sea Diamond on its last voyage, they are all safe.

My question pertains to compensation for their losses.

I did read the article about how they will be receiving aprox $1,800USD each for missing the port of Santorini and for lost items.

In the case of my father he alone lost over $3,000 in clothing and a mobile car GPS unit, my mother in the range of $4,000. An uncle who was on the ship lost a lens for a SLR digital camera with a cost of aprox $2,000, you guys get the point.

What should they expect, a class action law suit or???

Thanks for your help.

AE

My son was on the M/V Sea Diamond. He was part of an EF Tour Group. EF as the booking agent made a settlement with Louis Cruise Lines for 1000 Euro for lost luggage, 400 euro for the "inconvenience". [today that's $1,900] Word is that an additional 1000 euros will be offered in exchange for not pursuing any further claims.

We had purchased comprehensive travel insurance so we will file with them for the difference between the 1000 euro luggage coverage and his actual inventory. I think it's an additional $300 ~ 500 depending on the exchange rate.

We are looking at all our options...

oh, yeah they will also be giving us a coupon for a 4 day cruise, ha!

If all else fails they could make a claim on their homeowners policies.

• 4 weeks later...

You folks who were on the Sea Diamond's last voyage have my sincere sympathy--what a nightmare! (Although thank God you at least made it off the ship; imagine those poor French tourists...)

Are you aware of the website, www.seadiamondsurvivors.org? Apparently some of your fellow pax are trying to regroup and figure out how best to tackle the compensation issue with Louis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, just got back from Greece, and a 3-day cruise on Orient Queen. At the port, I mentioned vaguely to our TAgent in Greece (Athens Cruise Club rep) that I'd heard there were some major issues getting Louis to cooperate professionally with Sea Diamond pax regarding compensation. He seemed genuinely surprised, and said that his agency had had some British pax on board, and they had already received their 1400 Euros a while ago, with no problems. Is that true, anyone? Am just wondering, because at the same time, the Greek travel agents I spoke with over there all seemed (understandably) touchy about the issue of Sea Diamond. They clearly realize that it could potentially destroy their tourism business, or at least tourism on the islands.

• 11 months later...

I would ask that information for other passenges to join the class action suit against Louis Cruise Lines be posted. Perhaps the lawyer’s contact info. There are many individual passengers that were not part of an orgainzed tour but may also want to be pat of a class action suit. I, like others, are very dissatisfied with the lack of safety and negligence during the evacuation, Louis’ response since the accident, and I to top it off I have had an injury suffered during the evacuation.

Archived