what else to do outside of San Juan

carbon

We have been to San Juan x2 did the fort and Old San Juan. We are coming in two days before our cruise next March. What should we do outside the San Juan area? Should we rent a car and drive to another part of Puerto Rico? We love the beach and quant little towns.

We have been to San Juan x2 did the fort and Old San Juan. We are coming in two days before our cruise next March. What should we do outside the San Juan area? Should we rent a car and drive to another part of Puerto Rico? We love the beach and quant little towns.

OK, you have said the magic words; 2 days, beach, and quaint towns. How about a quaint island? Go to Culebra or Vieques. They are little islands off the east coast of the main island of PR. You can fly there, or take a ferry for $2. Very quaint, some of the top beaches of the world (rated by Travel Channel or Conde Nast - can't remember which one), and great for a 2 day visit.

My top all round pick would be the Martineau Bay Resort in Vieques. It is a little Starwood resort. Rent scooters or a Jeep and head to Sun Bay Beach or Red Beach on the old Navy Reserve.

How would we get there? We fly into San juan.

Thanks!

There are a few options:

1) American Airlines and a few small carriers now offer flights out of SJU to Vieques.

2) You can take a little puddle jumper from the Isla Grande airport which is more towards the city. I think these flights are around $50 each way per person, but I'm not sure. You can go to either Culebra or Vieques.

3) You can head out to the town of Fajardo on the East coast. From there, you can get on a ferry for $2 pp and go to Vieques or Culebra. There is also an airport in Fajardo and the flight is cheaper than San Juan.

Culebra is smaller than Vieques and is a little more artsy and laid back. Having said that, both are exetremely laid back. Vieques has more to do, and the bioluminescent Bay is at Vieques. Puertoricans typically prefer Culebra, but Vieques is better for a tourist. You also have a wider selection of hotels. Culebra only has B&B type options (which is a great example of explaining the atmosphere of Culebra). If Culebra sounds more appealing based on that description, you won't be disappointed.

Being a local all my life down here I'll give you my two cents:

1. Isabela:

- west coast town

- Jobos beach is the place to go

- Villas del Mar Hau is the place to stay

(they have multiple cabins which are ocean front.

This is not a luxury hotel but it will do for one night or two)

- you can do horseback riding or good snorkeling

- very laid back town

- have to rent car and drive at least 1.5 to 1 3/4 hours

2. Camuy Caverns

- also on the west coast

- network of caverns, rainforesty tipe of environment

- trolley takes you down then you get a guided walking tour

3. Culebra

- east coast island part of PR

- take the small airplanes leaving from isla grande airport in san juan

they also leave from fajardo. Fajardo is the town where the ferry

you to culebra or vieques. If your budget allows it do the plane

- Flamenco beach is the beach to visit and there is a place to stay on

beach which is pretty decent. You won't need a car in Culebra

4. Vieques

- bigger east coast island also a part of PR

- you should try Martineau Bay Resort (Big Resort) or Bravo Beach

Hotel(9 bedroom boutique hotel).

- must do Bio Bay here. Kayak at Night. Best Bio Bay In PR

Hope This Helps anay other Questions be free to ask

• 7 months later...

I emailed Jorge regarding possible tours in San Juan.

His first 'response' email said he was sending me further information and that he was free that day....however he did not answer the specific questions I asked in my email: tour, timing, cost, etc.

The next email I received right after this one had the word 'rates' in the subject line - great I thought - here is the info - but there were no rates - just a 'standard' email/PR listing all the reasons I should be going with an independent tour guide! (ya okay I was already convinced).

I waited a while no more emails - so I responded to the 'rates' one - saying thanks but I would still like response to original email and the rates email was not really 'rates' - his response was (and I quote) Why not try to wait until you have everything that was forwarded to you?

Not sure about his 'communication; and business skills? So I"m still waiting???

Froufie

• 2 weeks later...

Still feeling a bit leery about Jorge - can someone confirm that they really enjoyed his tour and it was worth it?

He is now quoting me for a city tour at $55 pp - wants a $50 deposit up front, the rest of the money in cash BEFORE the tour begins and has already ADDED a 'customary' 15% tip onto my bill!!! (a bit presumptuous no?)

While I like the tour as described I am not feeling very comfortable about this! - and besides we are leaving on Monday and given holiday mail traffic I highly doubt he will receive our $50 deposit before we get there - and says he needs to the deposit to 'reserve' the day!

HELP!

Froufie

Archived